Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2021 1:41:08 AM EDT
Looking to install one of these (probably via Docker) on my server (Arch, BTW), pretty much as a replacement to Dropbox.  I'm just not sure which one is best.
I'm currently using the free tier of DB, and not using any advanced features - one user, and no shared files/folders.  Mostly looking to make the change away from DB as I am running out of room, and would rather host my own vs paying a monthly premium for more storage.

Looking through the internet, seems like NC is a fork from OC, and has been developed more.  Otherwise, looks fairly similar.

Which one do you use, and why did you choose it over the other?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking to install one of these (probably via Docker) on my server (Arch, BTW), pretty much as a replacement to Dropbox.  I'm just not sure which one is best.
I'm currently using the free tier of DB, and not using any advanced features - one user, and no shared files/folders.  Mostly looking to make the change away from DB as I am running out of room, and would rather host my own vs paying a monthly premium for more storage.

Looking through the internet, seems like NC is a fork from OC, and has been developed more.  Otherwise, looks fairly similar.

Which one do you use, and why did you choose it over the other?
View Quote

I have had a Nextcloud instance running in a (Ubuntu) KVM for a couple years. In the past, I have only really used it to back up our phone's photos, though.

It's been very stable, I can't remember any time I ever had any problems with it. I installed mine from source, but IIRC there is a snap available for it.

You are correct that NC is a fork of OC. I don't even know if OC is being developed anymore, but I haven't looked into that.

I do know NC had a pretty active forum as of 2017. I would imagine that it has only grown since then, so if you do have issues/questions I'm sure you can get answers pretty fast.

It's free software, so it can't hurt to give it a shot.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:37:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have had a Nextcloud instance running in a (Ubuntu) KVM for a couple years. In the past, I have only really used it to back up our phone's photos, though.

It's been very stable, I can't remember any time I ever had any problems with it. I installed mine from source, but IIRC there is a snap available for it.

You are correct that NC is a fork of OC. I don't even know if OC is being developed anymore, but I haven't looked into that.

I do know NC had a pretty active forum as of 2017. I would imagine that it has only grown since then, so if you do have issues/questions I'm sure you can get answers pretty fast.

It's free software, so it can't hurt to give it a shot.
View Quote

Thanks, I was leaning toward NC as well.  Like you said, I'll install it and see how it goes!
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m running NextCloud in Docker on my unRAID server. Running great, no issues. Haven’t done many plugins, but nice to know they are there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#4]
My only issue with Nextcloud on my Unraid server is that my router won't let me enable DNS loopback, so I run into issues accessing it with my phone.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m running NextCloud in Docker on my unRAID server. Running great, no issues. Haven’t done many plugins, but nice to know they are there.
View Quote

I've been using it as well for a couple years now.

The only issue I've had is not realizing I had to upgrade not only the Docker image but that I had to upgrade Nextcloud itself from inside itself.

Other than that it's been great and I use it for all of my image hosting now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top