Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2020 2:00:36 PM EDT
Hey Everyone,

I have been eyeballing 3D printers for way too long. It's time for me to get off the fence.

The ability to print firearms/parts is what finally got me moving. I would like to tinker with things like the G17 frame and the FBGC-9.

I am about to pull the trigger on an Ender 3. I am trying to decide between the basic 3 and the 3 v2. Do I need the upgrades getting started or will the basic Ender 3 work just as well for a beginner?

Maybe I should ask first if the Ender 3 is the smart choice for printing Freedom Sticks?

What filament would you recommend for easy/good printing for a beginner on a budget? How about the "best" type and brand of filament for printing accurate and rugged prints for frames, receivers etc?

Thanks Everyone!
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey Everyone,

I have been eyeballing 3D printers for way too long. It's time for me to get off the fence.

The ability to print firearms/parts is what finally got me moving. I would like to tinker with things like the G17 frame and the FBGC-9.

I am about to pull the trigger on an Ender 3. I am trying to decide between the basic 3 and the 3 v2. Do I need the upgrades getting started or will the basic Ender 3 work just as well for a beginner?

Maybe I should ask first if the Ender 3 is the smart choice for printing Freedom Sticks?

What filament would you recommend for easy/good printing for a beginner on a budget? How about the "best" type and brand of filament for printing accurate and rugged prints for frames, receivers etc?

Thanks Everyone!
View Quote

Ender 3 is the "recommended" noob printer, not sure the version/model though - I have the Ender 3 Pro that I have upgraded some.

I would suggest getting Ender3 v2, then get the metal extruder from Amazon.

As for filament, get some Hatchbox PLA to practice with, then for the freedom sticks, get eSun PLA+.  Both should be available on Amazon for about $22.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ender 3 is the "recommended" noob printer, not sure the version/model though - I have the Ender 3 Pro that I have upgraded some.

I would suggest getting Ender3 v2, then get the metal extruder from Amazon.

As for filament, get some Hatchbox PLA to practice with, then for the freedom sticks, get eSun PLA+.  Both should be available on Amazon for about $22.
View Quote

Thank you.

I will get some ordered up.

Regarding the extruder upgrade, is there one in particular that you would recommend? I searched Amazon and found quite a selection.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank you.

I will get some ordered up.

Regarding the extruder upgrade, is there one in particular that you would recommend? I searched Amazon and found quite a selection.

Thanks again.
View Quote

Pick a color

Actually there is one that is just a smidge better IMHO. It has the larger connector fitting.

http://amazon.com/Upgraded-Creality-Extruder-Drive1-75mm-Filament/dp/B07WHYBVJ5

As for other reading material check this. Steps 1-6 should answer a bunch of questions you may have for printing pew pew stuff.

https://ctrlpew.com/the-complete-getting-started-guide  gonna leave that link cold now that I think of it.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I got the Winsinn extruder it is the dual gear type and will pull the foreskin off a flea.  I also adjusted the E steps and my prints are coming out perfect.  I'm on the sixth Vanguard lower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top