Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2020 9:15:38 PM EDT
TLDR, will a B450 hobo boot to the bios without RAM or should I just wait a few days?

I've built a few PC's over the past 15 years, last one was a few months ago.  But, I'm putting together a cheapish "server" to hold some music and movies using new parts and some parts I already have.

Have and known working:
Cheap case
600W EVGA PSU

Have and questionable:
MSI Tomahawk B450.  I think the PCIE slot is hosed.  Was the board for my main system, video output died, replaced the board with an X570 and all components in the old system work.  R5 2600, 1660 TI, 16gb ram, etc.

New parts:
Ryzen 3200G
16 gb ram (Will not deliver for 2 days)
Various drives

If I put the "server" together without the RAM will I be able to get to the bios on the Mobo to see if it works?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Google results suggest that without RAM the computer will fail POST and not make it into BIOS.  If you have a speaker hooked up to the motherboard connector, you should hear the beep code for memory error.  Otherwise, it will just sit there with some fans spinning.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never found a MB that would boot beyond the beep code for no memory installed.

A POST card will show you a little more info about the boot sequence but not beyond the no memory test until you install some memory.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
TLDR, will a B450 hobo boot to the bios without RAM or should I just wait a few days?
View Quote
The hobo may move along in a few days on its own, I would wait.

But seriously, as the others said every mobo I worked on will give you beep codes that the memory is not installed and stop.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#4]
My question wound up being moot.  The memory arrived a day early (today) but the EOY close out at work is killing my free time.  Won't be able to mess with this Ubuntu/Plex project until the weekend.....
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My question wound up being moot.  The memory arrived a day early (today) but the EOY close out at work is killing my free time.  Won't be able to mess with this Ubuntu/Plex project until the weekend.....
View Quote
You don't want a cheap case for plex. You want a full tower case with as much 5.25 bay as possible. With 5.25 bays you can get hdd hot swap cages. The cage will increase the amount of hdd you can have.  For example: 5 hdd in 3 5.25 bays.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06X9P4BYL/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&;psc=1

Expect buying a lot of hdd.  Expect 40tb+. 100tb plex servers are not uncommon if you into it like this guy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GUJ7jDRzie8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top