Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2020 10:35:21 AM EDT
The pots on my 30 year old solid state amp are noisy and I have tried to clean them, which helped a bit. Figure it’s a good
excuse to buy an new amp.

I want a tube amp for sure, 1x12 at least.

What does everyone have.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#1]
What speakers are you driving?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#2]
For guitar, I like Fender amps. I have a '65 Twin Reissue, a Tweed Blues Deluxe and a Blues Junior. I use the Junior more than the others. I can get good clean tones or crank the master and get pretty gnarly tones. 15 watts, but gets plenty loud for small/medium clubs.

My Deluxe is from an era that had some issues with the input jacks being attached to PCBs and failing, and the Juniors can have problems with the transducers on the reverb tanks crapping out. Just some stuff to be aware of.

I should mention that I don't do high-gain metal stuff or anything, so Fenders might not be your thing.

FWIW, I've brought a lot of pots "back to life" by using DeOxit.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SanchoPanza:
What speakers are you driving?
View Quote

I am looking for a combo amp so no external speakers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Snout:
For guitar, I like Fender amps. I have a '65 Twin Reissue, a Tweed Blues Deluxe and a Blues Junior. I use the Junior more than the others. I can get good clean tones or crank the master and get pretty gnarly tones. 15 watts, but gets plenty loud for small/medium clubs.

My Deluxe is from an era that had some issues with the input jacks being attached to PCBs and failing, and the Juniors can have problems with the transducers on the reverb tanks crapping out. Just some stuff to be aware of.

I should mention that I don't do high-gain metal stuff or anything, so Fenders might not be your thing.

FWIW, I've brought a lot of pots "back to life" by using DeOxit. 

View Quote

I have used the DeOxit and it improved things a lot. I have only sprayed down the shaft. I am guessing if I pull them I can do a better job. More or less just an excuse for a new amp ??.

Don’t really do high gain stuff either. One that caught my eye is the Fender  blues deluxe reissue.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The pots on my 30 year old solid state amp are noisy and I have tried to clean them, which helped a bit. Figure it’s a good
excuse to buy an new amp.

I want a tube amp for sure, 1x12 at least.

What does everyone have.
View Quote

What style of music?  Bedroom playing or jamming with other people?

My favorite 1x12 is my 5E3 clone.  But I mainly use it before it breaks up.  I love the full clean tones from it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By tluxtele:

What style of music?  Bedroom playing or jamming with other people?

My favorite 1x12 is my 5E3 clone.  But I mainly use it before it breaks up.  I love the full clean tones from it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BilboButt:
The pots on my 30 year old solid state amp are noisy and I have tried to clean them, which helped a bit. Figure it’s a good
excuse to buy an new amp. 

I want a tube amp for sure, 1x12 at least. 

What does everyone have.

My favorite 1x12 is my 5E3 clone.  But I mainly use it before it breaks up.  I love the full clean tones from it.

Style is gonna determine a lot.

My answer is a Fortin Evil Pumpkin half stack. Yolo.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Mostly praise music with classic rock and some country.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AR15thur:

Style is gonna determine a lot. 

My answer is a Fortin Evil Pumpkin half stack. Yolo.
View Quote

Guess I should mention I want to stay under 1K. Also “need” a new acoustic and a line 6 pod go ??.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#9]
You can find used 65 reissue twin reverbs for $800ish.

I've wanted one for soooo long.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Marshall DSL40CR, Fender Deluxe Reverb 65 reissue.

Fender Tonemaster Twin Reverb.  Digital modeling but damn good sounding.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I am looking for a combo amp so no external speakers.
View Quote

Oops, my apologies for not noticing what room this was posted.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got a new Fender DRR so far working great. Had to send first one back it had a nasty tremolo tick.
New replacement sounds good no problems
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:01:57 AM EDT
[#13]
All my amps are heads, and the only combos I've had were solid state or digital practice amps.

But if I were to get a combo, it'd probably be a Boogie Mark V 35, or a Marshall DSL40. I have a Mark V 35 head and love it, and the DSL40 combo at one of the local shops is a go to when trying guitars out and I like it.

And I know you said that you don't do high gain but those amps aren't only for high gain, just keep it dialed back on the drive channels and you'll get great tones.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:13:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Gone_Shootin:
All my amps are heads, and the only combos I've had were solid state or digital practice amps.

But if I were to get a combo, it'd probably be a Boogie Mark V 35, or a Marshall DSL40. I have a Mark V 35 head and love it, and the DSL40 combo at one of the local shops is a go to when trying guitars out and I like it.

And I know you said that you don't do high gain but those amps aren't only for high gain, just keep it dialed back on the drive channels and you'll get great tones.
View Quote

Specifically you'd want the DSL40CR it's much better than the older DSL40C.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Friedman Dirty Shirley.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Another one to look out for, a used Revv Dynamis 7-40 combo, they're over $2000 new, iirc, but since they're not a well known name yet, the used ones go cheap. But don't let that deter you, I just got a new Revv Generator 7-40 head, and it's an excellent amp. Those Canadians know what they're doing.

Also, they seem to have a thing for Creamback M 65 Watters, which have an insane amount of mids, so it might benefit from a Creamback H 75 swap.

From Clean To MEAN! (Original music ) Revv Dynamis 7-40 Demo

Revv Dynamis 7-40 Amplifier Demo by Shawn Tubbs.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Deluxe Reverb head w/1x12 cabinet, Marshall 2245 THW head w/2x12 cabinet, and a Clark tweed deluxe clone.  I've had others but have sold them.  I love these three for the versatility and fantastic tones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top