Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2018 4:17:47 PM EDT
As I get older (49) and shift from heavy labor to desk work, I find myself getting fatter. 5'9, 225 pounds.  (goal is 200 pounds, then when I reach that I will re-evaluate).

Along with changing my diet and portion sizes, I would like to add a good exercise.

I have a bad knee (which I'm thinking will improve after I lose weight), a bad shoulder from attempting snowboarding and other stupid moves (which is also missing one of my bicep muscles from a bad quad accident), and bad wrists from heavy labor (just had carpal tunnel release surgery on both).  So I'm thinking cardio or low resistance.

I'd like to put a machine in my living room so I can utilize it when watching TV or bad weather.  Ceilings are 7' 2".

Lifestyle?  Married, four children, and I'm the only income.  I do not want to go to a gym.

Recommendations?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude. New to the forum?

You've been here since '07. You know the answer!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Oops...new to this sub-forum!  Editing OP.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
"Toning" is just a function of two things- losing fat and building muscle.

There are MANY ways to do this, but you'll find the most common recommendation here is going to be to get a squat rack and follow a novice lifting program + some cardio, maybe some HIIT. More muscle helps burn more fat. A machine in your living room may help, but it's more likely to just leave you frustrated and not meeting goals.

< father of 4, single income, 37 years old.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Rowing machine is pretty low impact.

Weights are always an option provided you work around your injuries correctly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rowing machine is pretty low impact.

Weights are always an option provided you work around your injuries correctly.
View Quote
I'm a fan of rowers myself.

But the disadvantage of the rower, just like all other individual machines or workouts is that it gets boring just doing the same thing, and your body gets more efficient at it over time as well.

I'm still using a rower, but it's taken a back seat to resistance training, short sprints in the backyard and kettlebell swings.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]
If you think you are going to lose weight by doing cardio you are going to have a bad time.

Diet is 99% of weight lose.

If you want to build muscles you have to lift weights.

If you want to get strong you need to lift heavy weights.

If you lift weights to infinity you are wasting your time.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you think you are going to lose weight by doing cardio you are going to have a bad time.

Diet is 99% of weight lose.

If you want to build muscles you have to lift weights.

If you want to get strong you need to lift heavy weights.

If you lift weights to infinity you are wasting your time.
View Quote
Yup.

And if you want "tone" you need to lose fat and build muscle.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, so I’m starting by counting calories and sit ups.

I think i can fit a small weight system in my space.

So a rower or elliptical would be less efficient than weights?  Arent my butt and leg muscles the biggest to work?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#9]
What is HIIT?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So a rower or elliptical would be less efficient than weights?  Arent my butt and leg muscles the biggest to work?
View Quote
Personally I hate ellipticals. Rowers are great, but IMO your program should be built around lifting. Though I don't know what's wrong with your knee, so you'll have to take that into account.

A rower can be leaned up against the wall, so maybe you have room for a rower and a free standing squat rack.

ETA- it's not just about calories- make sure they are quality calories.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What is HIIT?
View Quote
High intensity interval training.

Think something like 30 seconds hard rowing sprint followed by 30 seconds of rest for 10 minutes or something like that. (can be done with just about any exercise). Burns more fat than long cardio sessions.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I would start with a ketogenic or paleo type diet to lose the weight. Counting calories doesn’t help much if you’re eating garbage. A calorie is not a calorie. They have different effects on your body.

Everyone loses weight at first by counting calories and exercising. Then they’re starving all the time, fuck up their metabolism, and gain the weight back plus more. Your hormones make you fat.

Once you get things back under control, you can play with adding carbs to fit your goals or just because you like them. I feel so good on very low carbs that I doubt I’ll ever go back.

People keep asking me how I’ll survive the holidays. On Christmas, I’m gonna eat a giant piece of prime rib slathered in butter with some vegetables. And a glass of good Scotch. Sounds awful!
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would start with a ketogenic or paleo type diet to lose the weight. Counting calories doesn’t help much if you’re eating garbage. A calorie is not a calorie. They have different effects on your body.

Everyone loses weight at first by counting calories and exercising. Then they’re starving all the time, fuck up their metabolism, and gain the weight back plus more. Your hormones make you fat.

Once you get things back under control, you can play with adding carbs to fit your goals or just because you like them. I feel so good on very low carbs that I doubt I’ll ever go back.

People keep asking me how I’ll survive the holidays. On Christmas, I’m gonna eat a giant piece of prime rib slathered in butter with some vegetables. And a glass of good Scotch. Sounds awful!
View Quote
Winter is bulking season.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you have room those fold away rack systems seem to work ok.  I installed one for a client. Seemed cool. I think Roland had one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Winter is bulking season.
View Quote
Not for OP
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not for OP
View Quote
He does weigh almost as much as me and is 3 inches shorter and doesn't even lift.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you have room those fold away rack systems seem to work ok.  I installed one for a client. Seemed cool. I think Roland had one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I did, Rogue makes one and at least one other company too. It was great, and would be awesome for anyone with tight space.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#18]
7’2” ceiling might limit his options for toning racks
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't know what a toning rack is, but this squat rack would fit under his ceiling....
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
WTF is a toning rackAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks very similar to a curling rack.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:02:52 AM EDT
[#22]
NOTHING is better for us older guys than the compound barbell movements that the others have referenced.

I know that might be difficult for you to do in your circumstances, but there is nothing more beneficial for you as you age.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He does weigh almost as much as me and is 3 inches shorter and doesn't even lift.
View Quote
I’ll take that as motivation.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#24]
So who here doesn’t count calories anymore?

I started down the paleo Mediterranean path diet-wise on Monday.

I have resilved to allow myself a couple drinks of alcohol per week.

Still vacillating on equipment, seems like a lot of people think n the archives have done well witj Bowflex.

I bet i could find a deal on a old Nordictrack, and could also use it as a clothes hanger.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Still vacillating on equipment, seems like a lot of people think n the archives have done well witj Bowflex.

I bet i could find a deal on a old Nordictrack, and could also use it as a clothes hanger.
View Quote
I don't. I hate doing it. To maintain I just follow about an 80% paleo diet and often intermittent fast in the morning (fancy way of saying I don't eat until 12-2:00). If I need to trim weight I'll cut carbs or go keto.

If I fall off the wagon I don't do any of that then go back eventually
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not counting but I've gained 10 lbs.  

And a bunch of strength.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top