Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2018 10:30:19 PM EDT
I’m sitting her browsing cigar auctioneer... what am I about to get myself into? Starting out what should I both do and not do?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It all depends. Have you ever smoked a cigar?

If not, start with something easy like a Romeo y Julieta #1 (a medium middle of the road cigar). If you like strong things like black coffee/straight bourbon you could probably handle something darker like a Maduro (a type of cigar). There is a limitless range of cigars, so just buy a few and see what you like.

Watch a youtube video on how to cut and light. Most important thing is not to inhale. Smoking a cigar is all about tasting/smelling the smoke, not to get buzzed on nicotine. You will get a nicotine rush with some cigars though. Make sure you have a decent amount of time to smoke, at least an hour. Nothing worse than rushing a good cigar. Get comfortable and grab a drink (preferable water but whiskey is good too) and enjoy the wonderful feeling of smoking a cigar.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Start with mild cigars.
Build up to medium or full. You may also end up enjoying mild and not like medium to full bodied.
Cigars also require care. You can’t just throw them on the counter like a pack of cigarettes and expect them to be worth a crap.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Start with mild cigars.
Build up to medium or full. You may also end up enjoying mild and not like medium to full bodied.
Cigars also require care. You can’t just throw them on the counter like a pack of cigarettes and expect them to be worth a crap.
View Quote
I was wondering if I’d need a humidor.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was wondering if I’d need a humidor.
View Quote
You could always just do a tupperdore.  Tupperware container with boveda pack thrown in to maintain humidity.

Buy a hygrometer from amazon to throw in there and you are good to go.  Throw some cedar if you please.

No Tupperware?  Order an MTM dry ammo can from amazon. That'll hold a lot of cigars and it has a nice gasket to keep in RH.  I have 2 full boxes and another 30 random sticks in mine.

Just over $9
https://www.amazon.com/MTM-AC50C-11-50-Caliber-Forest-Green/dp/B003TNV46O/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1544973275&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=mtm+ammo+can+dry+storage&dpPl=1&dpID=41U18GSwyJL&ref=plSrch
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Rocky Patel's are pretty good.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#8]
EPC new wave and undercrown shade are good ones to start with.  i ordered sampler pack when i started to try new things also as you go your tast will change so something you dont like now could be a favorite in a few years.  once you find some you like i recommend getting a few of those and something new when you purchase stuff that was you always have something you like if you dont like the new one
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm also new to cigars for better or worse. So far I've had a Arthur Fuente cheapy of some kind (my order didn't save which type it was, but it was a ~$3 cigar) and liked it quite a bit, very tasty. I've also had a short Surrogates cigar (shop had it branded as a "Firecracker", small fairly thin cigar), it was STOUT. I'm guessing this is what is meant by a full profile and I wasn't ready for it.

I'm looking for some other good cheap cigars to get into like that Fuente, mild, nutty, kind of chocolatey or caramel tasting (I'm sure there's a better word for it).
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#10]
at that price it was probably the curly head
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
at that price it was probably the curly head
View Quote
Yep. Think so.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm also new to cigars for better or worse. So far I've had a Arthur Fuente cheapy of some kind (my order didn't save which type it was, but it was a ~$3 cigar) and liked it quite a bit, very tasty. I've also had a short Surrogates cigar (shop had it branded as a "Firecracker", small fairly thin cigar), it was STOUT. I'm guessing this is what is meant by a full profile and I wasn't ready for it.

I'm looking for some other good cheap cigars to get into like that Fuente, mild, nutty, kind of chocolatey or caramel tasting (I'm sure there's a better word for it).
View Quote
Step up to the Fuente Hemingway line.  I particularly like the Maduros, but the naturals are good as well. They're extremely mild.

For a bit more expensive of a cigar, the Ashton symmetry is one of my favorites. I always keep a box of those around. The cigar is also made by Fuente for Ashton.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
try the EPC new wave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top