Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2021 3:54:22 PM EDT
Thinking about getting a mountain bike instead of a gravel. Looking at a trek top fuel 8 nx and a 9.7
Anybody got one?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thinking about getting a mountain bike instead of a gravel. Looking at a trek top fuel 8 nx and a 9.7
Anybody got one?
View Quote

Your better off heading to MTBR.com and asking the guys/gals over there way more traffic there than here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
But why trek? They’ve always seemed overpriced for what you get.  

If you can find any in stock lol

I’ve ridden with friends who have trek Fuel, specialized Fsr,  giant Stance  and motobecane hal full suspension and we swap bikes to compare.  
Everyone has been shocked at how good the Motobecane full suspension is. Especially considering full carbon with pike forks Dt Swiss wheels  and eagle for just under $3k
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’ve ridden with friends who have trek Fuel, specialized Fsr,  giant Stance  and motobecane hal full suspension and we swap bikes to compare.  
Everyone has been shocked at how good the Motobecane full suspension is. Especially considering full carbon with pike forks Dt Swiss wheels  and eagle for just under $3k
View Quote

Call me bougie,  but if I'm dropping $3k on a bike. The downtube will not say motobecane.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
If not Motobecane what brand and why?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because they are getting a top fuel 8nx in a week. Not much to choose from as far as other dealers. I rode one but it was to small, so I couldn’t tell anything about it. Not sure if I want to drop the coins for the carbon 9.7. $500 for 2 lbs
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Because they are getting a top fuel 8nx in a week. Not much to choose from as far as other dealers. I rode one but it was to small, so I couldn’t tell anything about it. Not sure if I want to drop the coins for the carbon 9.7. $500 for 2 lbs
View Quote

$500 for 2 pounds is a pretty good conversion rate in the cycling world.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If not Motobecane what brand and why?
View Quote

I like riding bikes that are raced and used by pros. I like to know a company has a reputation to uphold and motivation to innovate. I ride YT and Commencal mountain bikes. My oldest son rides a Canyon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:53:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Without looking I assume the 8 has an aluminum frame with better components than the 9.7? I would rather have an aluminum frame and better components.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:17:43 AM EDT
[#9]
If your prone to crashing I would stick with aluminum.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Without looking I assume the 8 has an aluminum frame with better components than the 9.7? I would rather have an aluminum frame and better components.
View Quote

Same drivetrain (Sram NX), but the 9.7 has a “better” fork and Shimano brakes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much. The bottom line is what you can get. I went by my specialized dealer and I’m looking at a year for a similar model in my size.
The trek should be ready to ride next week. I’ll decide then
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Pretty much. The bottom line is what you can get. I went by my specialized dealer and I’m looking at a year for a similar model in my size.
View Quote

Yeah, I get that. I personally didn’t want carbon... and that’s why I now own a Procaliber 9.5... which is carbon.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I just ordered a carbon frame to build a mtb. Looking at the NX eagle crankset, Monarch RT3 rear shock and 35 Gold RL front fork. Should be able to keep it under 2k. My 1985 Gary Fisher rigid is a little outdated.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#14]
What frame? Why did you choose that fork? How much travel?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Got it down to these two
Trek

Scott
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Unless it’s something really unique (no competitive models) look at other brands making the same thing.  You’ll either get better components for the same price, or the same components for less money.  Don’t want motobecane, no problem, check out Canyon (German).  Great ratings from every expert in the business and you’ll get a lot of bike for the money.  i don’t hate trek, have had a few (currently still have one), but unless it’s something no one else makes, their not worth the dough as it’s the same Taiwanese/Chinese stuff as the other guys.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, what little is out there is selling fast. Nothing new in the pipeline til August.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Not quite as "XC" as the other bikes you were looking at, but I like the commencal product generally.

https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-tr-29-ride-c2x30728100
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m leaning toward the Scott a little. Mainly because of weight and the three way lockout
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Look at Guerrilla Gravity.
American made carbon frame (aluminum
rear triangle) at a very  competitive price.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Got the bike today. Really like it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:53:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice, that looks great. Chunky 29" tires roll really well and get great traction. I shouldn't be surprised they are putting 2.4"s on a "XC heavy". That's going to be a fun bike for sure.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:18:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice bike!
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Call me bougie,  but if I'm dropping $3k on a bike. The downtube will not say motobecane.
View Quote

Motobecane gets a bad rap IMHO.  But let’s look at it objectively:

Pros:

- Not made by ChiComs.  Instead it is made by the Taiwanese.  I will support them over Beijing any day.

- name-brand components.  SRAM or Shimano, Fox forks, Maxxis tires, etc. Most of these companies have 3 to 5 trim levels, from budget to professional.  Know your trim lines; often Motobecane uses the economy level parts.

- constantly evolving to compete in the market.

- costs 1/3 to 1/2 less than a comparable bike from other makers with the same component levels.

-Cons:

- like IKEA , you have to put it together yourself.

- mail order only (as far as I know).  This means:

- no local bike-shop to hold your hand, give you free test rides, let you exchange it five times or take returns just because you feel like it.  If you expect someone to “service” you like that, then this is not the bike for you.  Buy something else. (There were a few mail-issues; PM if you want details). They do take returns; I never used their policy. I seriously hate returning anything.

- 1980s era crappy website.  Yes, it’s way, way out of date.  Hard to decipher too. They respond to emails.

Finally: some “top tier” type of riders claim the frame geometry Motobecane uses is out of date by a year or three.  OK.  I am not that level of rider.  Don’t know if MB is the “latest and greatest” geometry.  That “best” geometry seems to change from year to year too. But:

- does that really matter?  Not to me.  I paid less than 1/2 for my dual suspension 29 compared to similarly-equipped bikes in the stores ‘round here (near Wash. DC).  I have been riding the crap out of this thing all last summer & fall; was out riding with the kids this AM.  This bike has capabilities beyond my skill set.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Pros:

- Not made by CzhiComs.  Instead it is made by the Taiwanese.  I will support them over Beijing any day.

- name-brand components.  SRAM or Shimano, Fox forks, Maxxis tires, etc. Most of these companies have 3 to 5 trim levels, from budget to professional.  Know your trim lines; often Motobecane uses the economy level parts.

- costs 1/3 to 1/2 less than a comparable bike from other makers with the same component levels.

-Cons:

- no local bike-shop to hold your hand, give you free test rides, let you exchange it five times or take returns just because you feel like it.  If you expect someone to “service” you like that, then this is not the bike for you.  Buy something else. (There were a few mail-issues; PM if you want details). They do take returns; I never used their policy. I seriously hate returning anything.

- 1980s era crappy website.  Yes, it’s way, way out of date.  Hard to decipher too. They respond to emails.

Finally: some “top tier” type of riders claim the frame geometry Motobecane uses is out of date by a year or three.  OK.  I am not that level of rider.  Don’t know if MB is the “latest and greatest” geometry.  That “best” geometry seems to change from year to year too. But:

- does that really matter?  Not to me.  I paid less than 1/2 for my dual suspension 29 compared to similarly-equipped bikes in the stores ‘round here (near Wash. DC).  I have been riding the crap out of this thing all last summer & fall; was out riding with the kids this AM.  This bike has capabilities beyond my skill set.

YMMV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pros:

- Not made by CzhiComs.  Instead it is made by the Taiwanese.  I will support them over Beijing any day.

-Cons:

YMMV.

I just ordered a couple of Hal 5 Pros for my wife and myself. The local shops said they were a year out on special orders and didn t have anything left n the shop that was decent. The complaints I hear about Motobecane are frame geometry and they dont have Trek or Specialized on the tube. The specs on the frames don't look a lot different if you compare them and you are getting a lot of really good components for at least $1500 or more than a comparably spec'd Trek or Specialized. The only downside I see is the resale value, but all bikes are going to lose their value. Regardless if the Motobecane loses half it's value and the trek or Specialized only loses a third you still lose a grand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top