Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/15/2024 6:19:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SERVED_USMC]
This is my second new build so I already have some things in mind but I’ve seen these threads before and they always turn up good ideas. So what do you got? House is in the southern Lake Michigan region.

Things already covered-
-Vault door/concrete all around (going with a different mfg than my last one so need to research further)
- CAT5 Ethernet and receptacle locations for wall mounted screens
- Whole home vacuum with baseboard kick plate locations
- Whole home zoned audio/speaker setup with media closet

ETA: additional info based on feedback

I’m my 30’s now. No medical issues. House is ranch with walkout plan on being here at least the next 10-15 years.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you tall? Short counter tops are terrible if you are tall and especially if you have spine problems!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
hardpoints for sex swing(s).
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Vehicle lift in the garage.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#4]
-Bidet
-Speaker wire run to rooms with expected need.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Register your A/C unit. 10yr warranty if you do, 5yr if you don't
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:29:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittleBigHorn] [#6]
SIMPLE home automation, think Lutron Caseta lineup

Might as well go cat6 instead of your cat5, but a lot of the homes we do clients  opt for wireless access points over hard connection points for streaming so instead of every tv, just strategically place them in the ceiling

Car lift, 4 post is fine.  

Mini split for garage

PoE camera system is a must

Generator on ATS

Outdoor space should be a focus, outdoor elements makes a nice pergola system

Big windows, doesn’t help with security but still worth it

Panoramic doors, some of the best money I have  spent

Heated floors and bidet outlets in bathrooms

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Lots more electrical receptacles and switched zones than you think you will need or are required by codes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]
If this is your "I'm going to live in this house for the rest of my life" home then a master suite on the first floor, with a bathroom set up for someone with limited mobility.  The laundry room should also be on the first floor.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#9]
CAT5?  Run at Least CAT6.  Run it to locations where you can put wireless access points for a mesh network as well.

A single point audio closet is old school unless you plan on running an 8 channel amp to power speakers.  I run in ceiling/wall speakers to local closets where a Sonos amp will live (run a CAT 6 to the amp)  I add a samll subwoofer in the closet (powered) connected to the sonos.

Hot and cold water hose bibs.

Whole house water shut off valve with leak detection.

If you have multiple floors, multiple places to store multiple hoses for the central vac so you dont need to lug it around.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Extra hose bibs and exterior outlets. If you decorate for Xmas put some outlets under the eaves.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#11]
10' ceilings.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:40:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: constitutionlvr] [#12]
A bigger pantry than you think you need, big enough for a years worth of food and water storage.  Also a bigger shop than you think you need.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Backing for tp hangers, towel bars, and backing for hinges on shower doors.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you know who your neighbors will be?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Stripper pole
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#16]
4' wide staircases. Going back in houses with 3' feels downright claustrophobic, and much easier getting stuff upstairs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#17]
What's the budget?  Be real. Half million doesn't buy what it used to. If a mill or more we can help you spend it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#18]
At least one high ceiling for your deer or other mounts. Or a large man cave.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#19]
If you have a bunch of trees around, leaf guard things for your gutters.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#20]
First off… are we talking about a full custom home, semi-custom (builder’s floor plan that you can tweak some) or a production home (pick your colors and options)?  Small local builder or national?

Then, is this just your next home, or is it your forever home?

The answer to that will determine the level of feasibility for add-ons during the build, and to what extent you should invest.

Regardless, “future proofing” is rarely a bad idea.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Externally vented oven range hood
Straight shot dryer vent duct, more curves, more problems.
Install a transfer panel for future generator hook up

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BooJangles:
What's the budget?  Be real. Half million doesn't buy what it used to. If a mill or more we can help you spend it.
View Quote
$500k is a disgusting trailer from the 70s on a small lot in town in montucky with shitass neighbours.  

gonna need to add a zero there big shooter.

@eagarminuteman
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#23]
9 foot basement if thats applicable
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Dog Door
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:51:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: n0zzle] [#25]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:
If this is your "I'm going to live in this house for the rest of my life" home then a master suite on the first floor, with a bathroom set up for someone with limited mobility.  The laundry room should also be on the first floor.
View Quote

This, and more insulation than you think you'll need.  R100 that roof and R75 those walls, triple pane those windows, air/heat exchanger throughout.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Cat 6 (or fiber) to every room, ceiling mounted access points, and POE camera locations. I would run two lines or more to where your TV's will be. Very cheap and easy to do while the house is under construction. Much more of a PITA afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Builder_brigade on IG
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By nosleep:
9 foot basement if thats applicable
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Tempered glass windows within a certain distance of stair landings,
and at certain heights within applicable bathrooms.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:
Tempered glass windows within a certain distance of stair landings,
and at certain heights within applicable bathrooms.  

View Quote

Typically code requirements
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Lots of good suggestions, I'd add

Run power & data cables for ample security cameras.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Hot water spigot outside & an outdoor shower. Geothermal HVAC.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:05:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: azjogol] [#33]
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:
This is my second new build so I already have some things in mind but I’ve seen these threads before and they always turn up good ideas. So what do you got? House is in the southern Lake Michigan region.

Things already covered-
-Vault door/concrete all around (going with a different mfg than my last one so need to research further)
- CAT5 Ethernet and receptacle locations for wall mounted screens
- Whole home vacuum with baseboard kick plate locations
- Whole home zoned audio/speaker setup with media closet

View Quote

@SERVED_USMC for the whole house vacuum system, have you looked at DrainVac? Thinkvacuums.com was the best deal overall when purchasing all the components, shipping, etc..Their systems will allow you to not only vacuum the house, but also steam clean your carpets and tile. Had one in my last house, and have one in our custom home. Just over size the system. First one I used their recommendation for our 2700 sq ft house.... it worked, but felt it could have been better.... current house is a single story, 2 bd 2 ba 3k... went with the Turbo system and that thing is incredible.

ETA: OVERSIZE your garage. I really wish I would have added 4 feet to the depth and width. Would have given us enough room for the storage shelving and enough room to not worry about banging car doors on the shelves.

ETA 2: Heat sources.... we're in snow country. We use pellet stoves in the family area and the master br. I wish I would have done a hydronic heating system as well. Also, floor heating in the entire bathroom(s). I put it in the shower, which is 7 ft x 5 ft, then just outside the door and around the jetted tub. I should have done the entire bathroom.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:05:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#34]
You need a closet for storing your fully decorated Christmas tree.  So you can just open the door and roll the tree out into the room at Christmas time.

Also, your Dipshit Electrician will stuff your breaker box completely full as well as stuff the conduit coming out of the box completely full of wire, so there is absolutely no way you can squeeze in any additional circuits without a pile of work.
Don't allow that stupid shit to happen.  Either make sure there are breaker positions vacant, or better yet, have them install a sub panel that is completely empty with a large empty conduit running up into the attic to facilitate future electrical additions....ie, welder, hot tub, pool pump, RV receptacle, EV charger, etc.

Tony

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Wider and deeper than you think attached garage. Minimum 3 cars wide 30' deep. That would swallow two modern day full size suv's with a bench in front and leave a bay for "extras".

*this is Minimum. There should also be provisions in place for power, water and sewer going to a larger detached barn or garage now.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Plenty of garage outlets with each wall on a separate circuit. At least one 240 outlet in the garage.

If you have landscape sprinklers, a 1/4 turn shutoff vavle before each irrigation valve. Heat trace on all lines feeding outdoor spigots.

Wall mount garage door openers. Insulated garage doors.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#37]
The longest lasting materials for roof and siding.  Gabion walls for the front entrance, a fatal funnel of sorts.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Attic fan. Nothing like exchanging all the air in the house in a few minutes
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#39]
This is how my brain works right now. I built a vault in basement, it involved building a very solid wall and a very solid door. If I had just torn out the wall for the steps and made it strong with a strong door my whole basement would have been secure. Same amount of work, 300% more area, except the ceiling. And lets be honest how many would go thru the floor.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Underground shooting range off your basement.

Tunnel to buried shipping container.

Tower and cable for comms + equipment room.

Well
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:33:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stan_TheGunNut] [#41]
More than a 200 Amp service.  Don't want to overload the electrical panel.  Actual needs will depend on the size of the house, but 200 Amps is barely enough in my opinion.

Edit:  I'd go 400 Amp minimum for electrical.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Rockwool everywhere.

Auralex to tune the room(s) where audio quality is most important.

As soundproofed framing as you can get.

Standing seam roofing.

Woodburning stove that you can cook on.

MDF Room.  POE cameras.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By M4ger:
Rockwool everywhere.

Auralex to tune the room(s) where audio quality is most important.

As soundproofed framing as you can get.

Standing seam roofing.

Woodburning stove that you can cook on.

MDF Room.  POE cameras.
View Quote
y u no parlour stove with nut coal?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#44]
1. Extra wide gutters.

2. Concrete foundation that is atleast a foot from the up from the ground on the outside wall covering, all the away around the house.

3. If the op has a wife unit that does the laundry put the washer and drier in a closet in the bedroom she can watch tv and fold clothes when shes not in the kitchen making a sandwich.

4. Dimmer switches for all lights.

5. Lower wall lights in the garage.

6. Get the light bulb socket screw in adaptor to turn it into a 2 pin plug.
most garge openers use light bulbs use these to plug in led long flourescent style lights for more light.

7. People are saying water hose bibs what about compressed air bibs outside and inside hidden ofcourse.

9. Hidden speaker wire through out the house. My FIL did this and can rock the house during parties.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Slow close toilet seats
Slow close kitchen cabinets drawers
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Mini-splits for each room, or is that too ghetto?

Also, 30A or 50A service for RVs?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:43:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fsjdw2] [#47]
Built in shelves with slopes to drain to floor in shower,
Make them big enough to let you put whole shampoo bottles in. Make showers(and ideally all pipes) accessible from back via an access door hidden in a closet.

Have garage wired for insane levels of power (50 amp 220 , and couple different 20 amp 110’s), sameWith lights have a bank of 4 switches for the multiple rows of led lights (the lights are cheap, the wiring to install is hard part).

A below slab tornado hole/saferoom/gun vault , make it accessable but  with inward opening door.
More lights in garage, on 5th switch.

A shed out back wired For 110, Water and a mini shed/guest house.

A nice wood stove spot/chimney, (ahem bearskin rug, wine, your lady will “appreciate” it;-) and then a 2nd bear skin.

I second the mini split in garage. Even if you keep
Garage at 50 in winter you will save a ton on gas and engine wear, as well.  

Drain for garage floor (sloped to drain). Make garage 4-6 inches up the wall waterproof so it can get sprayed
Down easily.

Garage, get the concrete treated with something so salt water dripping off your floor won’t make a
Mess, just get a squeege to the drain and done.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Sewer PVC Pipe With Ring Gasket drains for downspouts. Closed loop geothermal. Heated bathroom floors.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Lion:

Whole house water shut off valve with leak detection.

View Quote

My house is two story.  I wish I would have added a way to cut off the upstairs water and drain it from down stairs…
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:48:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Scott] [#50]
Originally Posted By n0zzle:

This, and more insulation than you think you'll need.  R100 that roof and R75 those walls, triple pane those windows, air/heat exchanger throughout.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By n0zzle:
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

Insulation is overrated. Particularly in hot climates. And triple pane windows have short lifespans.

OP, make a beautiful house instead of some fuck ugly thing with the garage in front. Use materials that last. Have it built by people who believe the right way is the only way.

Your house has public, private, utility and transitory spaces. Clearly delineate them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top