BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2018 9:19:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Going to follow this forum. Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Plenty of resources....like you said, cause every kid learns differently.

While ours all started the same, by 8th grade each was learning in a different way and using different curriculum...

from one using DVD's and pretty much self study , one given books and just needing help occasional and being given test, to one who needed my wife to sit and go thru almost a convention classroom experience.

All three are in college and are A students.

one is in business management...getting three maybe 4  majors at once....one is doing Film and wants to do theater in England, one wants to do mechanical engineering and design weapons for the military.

Below is a write up I found, says exactly what I wanted to say,. I don't know him, nor have I read anything else he has written.  But this is spot on. And it applies weather you are a believer or not.

And for you men on this forum. You are as vital to the education process as your wife is ( assuming she is staying home and doing the teaching )  your support for her and bringing a prospective from a man's point of view will make her job easier and help the kids mind her and stay focused on studies. My wife was teacher and I was principal.

One last thing, you are not their friends...nor are you to live vicariously thru them... two of the worst things I see parents doing for the last 20+ years.   Never was our goal to have "successful" 10 year old, 12 , 15 16 18 years old successful or popular kids raising them to be approved by kids around them is another serious mistake. Trust me they will thank you profusely later on that you didn't do that.

Now our kids are 19 and above are all working and playing their way thru college and have good jobs too. People they work for love them and we have been asked what we did to make them great at what they do, gives us a chance top share.

Our prayers were to raise Biblicaly and morally straight men and women., so far so good.

http://blogs.longhollow.com/david/?p=1452
<h1 class="post_title">Know Your Child's Bent</h1><div class="post_content">

<em>The Bible gives us great wisdom for parenting, and we should go to the Word early and often for advice.  One verse that parents can be encouraged by is Proverbs 22:6, Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. This verse certainly applies to spiritual instruction, but it is also about knowing who your child really is.</em>

One translation of that verse is to train a child according to his/her "bent."  This means we need to know our child's God-given personality and giftedness.  The hardest thing for a parent is to do is to resist pushing a child toward their own interests and trying to make their child be like them.  Too many children have spent years trying to be something they are not, just to please mom or dad.

<em>If your child doesn't like what you like, you need to move.  You need to get into what they are into.  Support them in pursuing their giftedness and interests.   If your child doesn't have the same personality that you do, that's okay.  Be thankful for who God made them to be.  Of course, I'm not talking about accepting sinful or irresponsible behavior  but don't try to make your child into something they're not.</em>

Be a student of who your child is, of who God made them to be, and then guide them to reaching their full potential.  Encourage them according to their God-given "bent."

If you'll take the time to really learn who your child is and how God has wired them, you'll connect with them in a way that will allow you to have lifelong influence.  That deep connection is one of the foundations of building a strong parent-child relationship.  The most effective training of your child you will ever do will flow naturally from your relationship with them.  The training will be heart-to-heart, and rarely does it not make a difference in the trajectory of their lives.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
For DVD's we used Bob Jones University for high for one kid, she loved it....others not so much.

Vegsoruce was a great place to buy and sell books we needed. takes time to find and buy, but saved us a ton of money.

we used , "Sing Spell, Read and Write " early on....and Shirley Grammar was awesome, Saxon Math almost all the way to high school then go to college prep classes at local community college or college high school program

Get the catalog Veritas Press  they have a great writhing program..can't remember name
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#4]
while not required in our state, we found just having them do a GED test has made any questions about home schooling mute.

GED seems to be looked upon as proof of ability with schools and employers.

Never a problem with getting into colleges, and one kid had a summer job with DOD already.

while some purist will argue it isn't necessary and should not be done and take away from credibility,  I say OK, whatever. It made our life easier and quicker and works just fine. and my kids are succeeding regardless. If nothing else it proves how good a job we did as they all were at high end of scoring  and one kid was highest score ever in our county at the time.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats.  I am the one who asked GoatBoy for this forum, I'm glad he didn't pick me!  I'm too irreverent for mod duties.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations on the promotion.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats hall monitor, I agree it should be one of the easier forums to be a mod. 18 years of homeschooling under our belts and at least 4.5 more to go, I wish this forum would've been here when we started!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top