Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 5/19/2020 8:04:30 AM EDT
My older Daughter is back at home with her female 8 lb West Highland Terrier / Poodle mix (pretty obviously a miniture Poodle in the mix, not the Standard Poodle she was told) just about 16 months old.

We have 3 other dogs.   The oldest is a mostly Pit female (not sure what else, but not the boxer/mastiff mix we were told...) 60 lbs.   The two middle are Lab mixes (the Sire is the brother of the Pit we have)..also females.    The smallest was the runt of the litter...she's about 45 lbs at 3 years old, the other is about 55 lbs.  

Now, my Daughter's tiny dog plays well with them...not too aggressive, has fun inside and out.   Has for a while (both on visits and since the Daughter has moved back).

Now she's starting to hump the smallest of our dogs....out of the blue.  Nips at her (playful), then humps.   Our dog tolerates it.  

Why is it starting now?

And a food question...the older dogs get fed basic Dog Chow (do well with it, and it's not expensive for all 3...in theory, they're all my Younger Daughter's dogs, so she should be buying it...ha!).   My Older Daughter's Dog had some fancy dry food, but now she won't touch it...she eats the Dog Chow for the bigger dogs.    I guess we're stuck with her eating that too?  

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions....
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#1]
The humping is her trying to establish dominance over the other dog.  Basically, both behaviors are insecurity based.  Once she gets her place in the pack established, much of the behavior will cease.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Genin:
The humping is her trying to establish dominance over the other dog.  Basically, both behaviors are insecurity based.  Once she gets her place in the pack established, much of the behavior will cease.
View Quote

Got it...thanks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup, pack and dog stuff.

Have a friend who’s male pointer dog “marked” (a.k.a. pissed on) his wife’s leg while establishing dominance.  She dominately caved his ribs in.

A reminder...... when she determines his place in the pack, make sure your the Alpha
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#4]
As others have said, the humping is all about dominance.  The pack is very good at working stuff out as long as human behavior hasn't screwed up the structure from the get go.  If they're not trying to kill each other, you should be go to go.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By searchin4shacks:
As others have said, the humping is all about dominance.  The pack is very good at working stuff out as long as human behavior hasn't screwed up the structure from the get go.  If they're not trying to kill each other, you should be go to go.
View Quote

Very much this...

Good solid advice sir.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And a food question...the older dogs get fed basic Dog Chow (do well with it, and it's not expensive for all 3...in theory, they're all my Younger Daughter's dogs, so she should be buying it...ha!).   My Older Daughter's Dog had some fancy dry food, but now she won't touch it...she eats the Dog Chow for the bigger dogs.    I guess we're stuck with her eating that too?  

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions....
View Quote

I make a habit to always give mine the same exact food, at the same time and about the same size portions.

The first few times my rescue mutt got green beans tossed in with her kibble (cause everyone else got some) she ate everything BUT them. She may not 'love' them like the Dobie girls do but she eats them now and wont leave them behind. LOL!

Dogs will usually eat faster if they are all fed at the same time but I do suggest supervision and avoiding allowing any sort of bowl 'sharing'. Each dog needs their own bowl and if they go to stick their nose in the wrong one - YOU need to be the one to correct that.

Wish you luck with your pack.

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top