Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2023 7:15:48 PM EST
My new deck is ready to stain and I could use some tips/advice on the best way to do it.

Sprayer? Brush? Roller?

HELP!
fnh
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 7:44:38 PM EST
[#1]
I have done both sprayer and roller. Best is to combo. Spray rails, spindles, roll deck boards. Watch overspray.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:24:25 PM EST
[#2]
I'd personally spray the whole thing. You can get a lot of work done fast with one. Cleanup is the biggest time drain.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 6:53:32 AM EST
[#3]
New deck and ready to stain doesn’t go together.  

How new?  You should give PT lumber at least 6 months dry time. Have you picked out your sealer yet? My recommendation is Ready Seal.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 7:38:52 AM EST
[#4]
Builder said to wait 6 weeks to stain. It's now six weeks and the more I think about it, the more I have my doubts...

The wood isn't absorbing water droplets yet, so that's telling me to wait. But on the flipside, winter is coming. I know basically zero about wood treatments and weather, so my question is: Will winter snow be a factor on the new wood? We tend to have mild winters here, so it usually doesn't snow a lot.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:09:12 AM EST
[#5]
You need to wait at least six MONTHS. Mill glaze is another factor IIRC. You need the pores to open up.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:43:25 AM EST
[#6]
I've got a 2-3 month old deck waiting for stain/sealer too... so this is totally not an OST.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:38:24 AM EST
[#7]
I've always used a brush.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 11:53:21 AM EST
[#8]
Do it in the spring/summer.  6 weeks is not enough time. Seal in that moisture and it will rot from the inside out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 1:22:32 PM EST
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do it in the spring/summer.  6 weeks is not enough time. Seal in that moisture and it will rot from the inside out.
View Quote

Yeah, I already told the wife I'm gonna wait.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 5:12:46 PM EST
[#10]
Quoted:
You need to wait at least six MONTHS. Mill glaze is another factor IIRC. You need the pores to open up.
View Quote

Or sand it all first.  And buy a moisture meter to check moisture level.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 8:03:18 AM EST
[#11]
Quoted:
Builder said to wait 6 weeks to stain. It's now six weeks and the more I think about it, the more I have my doubts...

The wood isn't absorbing water droplets yet, so that's telling me to wait. But on the flipside, winter is coming. I know basically zero about wood treatments and weather, so my question is: Will winter snow be a factor on the new wood? We tend to have mild winters here, so it usually doesn't snow a lot.

Thanks.
View Quote

Paint it now and it will come off in sheets this spring.   Winter and the low RH will help dry it.   Wait at least six months for wet PT.   A yer tends to work well. Look into specific deck paints like Sherwin Williams Deckscapes.   Add traction additive to the mix if using on the decking boards.  Obviously only for the decking though.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 8:44:37 AM EST
[#12]
Quoted:

Paint it now and it will come off in sheets this spring.   Winter and the low RH will help dry it.   Wait at least six months for wet PT.   A yer tends to work well. Look into specific deck paints like Sherwin Williams Deckscapes.   Add traction additive to the mix if using on the decking boards.  Obviously only for the decking though.
View Quote

Thanks...I'm gonna wait.

I did buy a moisture meter on Amazon. It said the wood was at 8%! As green and wet as the wood was six weeks ago, and the rain we've had every few days, there's NO WAY that is accurate.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 9:07:59 AM EST
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sanding isn't going to help either.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:19:50 PM EST
[#14]
Quoted:

Sanding isn't going to help either.
View Quote

It will remove the mill glaze and open pores so the stain will absorb.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:34:34 PM EST
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks...I'm gonna wait.

I did buy a moisture meter on Amazon. It said the wood was at 8%! As green and wet as the wood was six weeks ago, and the rain we've had every few days, there's NO WAY that is accurate.
View Quote

Did you check it in multiple places?  I'd check some top boards and some framework boards to compare.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 2:53:08 PM EST
[#16]
Quoted:

Did you check it in multiple places?  I'd check some top boards and some framework boards to compare.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks...I'm gonna wait.

I did and it was about the same everywhere I tested. Like I said, we've had rain every week since the deck was finished, so I find it hard to believe the moisture content was that low after only 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 3:19:58 PM EST
[#17]
Hottest day in the summer. It will suck it in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top