Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2019 9:09:51 PM EDT
Was at the local true valueand there was a Lodge 12 inch skillet for half price and two 5 inch pans for 3 dollars each.
These pans feel rough. I have some pans I've had for twenty years that are smooth almost like a machine finish.

Is this normal with new lodge pans? Or are some better than others.

Should I just season these and use them?
I've seen some YouTube videos of guys hitting with grinding wheels and sand paper to get a smooth surface.
It's that a worthwhile endeavor or will it damage the pan in some way.

What are some better brands of cast these days. I'd like to get my niece a couple for Christmas. She's just starting her life as an adult.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Waste of site resources
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Waste of site resources
View Quote
Yes you are..
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes -- it's normal for lodge to be a bit rough.

1) Just cook on it, it'll be fine.

2) Yes, you can sand/grind it down and then reseason, if you want to -- and that will make it a little more non-stick, but frankly see #1

3) You're not going to hurt it by doing #2.  You're just taking the curse off, not removing substantial amounts of material.

4) I have mostly Lodge, because they're inexpensive for the quality you get.   There are nicer brands out there -- one 'boutique' brand I saw recently that come REALLY smooth like old school CI is from https://smithey.com/

You're basically paying more for a smoother non-stick finish...as they spend more time/labor to grind it.   Lodge has made their CI more affordable by cutting back on the labor.    Lodge are still fine.  See #1
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes Lodge is very rough. Modern cast is just that, cast not machined smooth. It will kinda smooth out in time.

Most people who really use the new stuff grind/polish it smooth then season.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Just use them.  They will become smooth over time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
That will never do. Cast iron must be made complex  for it to  cook its best.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#7]
You won't mess it up grinding/sanding/polishing. You'll need to season it after.

The old pans really were machined smooth.

Eta, This guy has a really good channel
Cowboy Kent Rollins
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes Lodge is very rough. Modern cast is just that, cast not machined smooth. It will kinda smooth out in time.

Most people who really use the new stuff grind/polish it smooth then season.
View Quote
We really use ours, and we didn’t sand and re-season.  We just use it.  Guess what?  It’s smooth and relatively non-stick.

Pro-tip:  cook lots of bacon and sausage in them.  That will “season” them, and they will smooth out the more you use them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. I haven't done anything to mine other than normal seasoning and cooking on it several times a week. It's gone from factory rough to pretty smooth and significantly more nonstick. About the only thing I can't do without sticking is an egg, but that's to be expected.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
What is the likelihood that she tries to throw them in the dishwasher?

I like the thought but don’t put too much effort into this if she is just going to wreck them or leave them sit because she likes the as seen on tv stuff better.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What is the likelihood that she tries to throw them in the dishwasher?

I like the thought but don't put too much effort into this if she is just going to wreck them or leave them sit because she likes the as seen on tv stuff better.
View Quote
CI is probably best not left in the hands of liberals.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#12]
The answers you seek are in this 10 minute video. This is the guru of cast iron!

I followed his instructions on all my Lodge skillets and they look like glass!

LINKY
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Our Lodge was rough. I just seasoned it and used it. It works fine. I mostly use their Dutch ovens. I have their skillets, they work fine, but I don't use them much.

Whenever possible, I use the old smooth stuff. Nothing against Lodge, I just like using old stuff whenever possible.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The answers you seek are in this 10 minute video. This is the guru of cast iron!

LINKY
View Quote
I did the same and I'm quite happy with the result.

I also learned my day to day maintenance of cast iron from his videos and it's been 100% effective.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes you are..
View Quote
Hurtful......
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Get one of these..  The rest will sort itself out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I also learned my day to day maintenance of cast iron from his videos and it's been 100% effective.
View Quote
Yes he is a great teacher and knows his tools of the trade. He is a man that literally uses it as his "daily job".

I bought his cookbook. I did a Ribeye from one of his videos....literally the ABSOLUTE BEST steak I have ever made and eaten.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, Lodge are rough. Some deal with it, some take buffing/sanding pads to the inside. I have moved to Staub.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Bacon, and lots of it, is your answer.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I have two that I ground out with a quick strip disk and reseasoned.  They work great for me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:31:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LINKY
View Quote
That's the video I watched that got me wondering.

All the cast I have is smooth, but I bought them in the early nineties. I don't remember them being that rough.
I have one that I got from my grandmother when she died. She had told me she got it during the depression. It's a Wagner. Nobody gets to use it but me.

I think I'll hit this new 12 inch with the grinder just to see how it goes.  Then cook up some bacon.

Thanks for the advise.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
It’s surprising how many of life’s questions are answered by this.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I've seen this same discussion way too many times.  
The reality is that everyone that grew up using cast iron pans seems to forget that we DID wash & scrub them after every use other than frying bacon. The fact that we used Brillo pads (steel wool) to scrub them is what actually & eventually ended up smoothing them out to a glass like finish.  Today no one seems to acknowledge that fact.
Plastic scrapers don't do shit. These new fangled steel mesh scrubbers do the same thing at 3x the cost of a Brillo pad.
Use it, scrub it with steel wool & then put it back on the burner & re-season it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Ordered a Lodge Griddle for the BBQ.  Seems like it will reduce cleanup and get better results.  We’ll see.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

All the cast I have is smooth, but I bought them in the early nineties. I don't remember them being that rough.
I have one that I got from my grandmother when she died. She had told me she got it during the depression. It's a Wagner. Nobody gets to use it but me.

I think I'll hit this new 12 inch with the grinder just to see how it goes.  Then cook up some bacon.

Thanks for the advise.
View Quote
Welcome.

I too have all my grandmothers cast iron...... some as old as 100 years as I have been told from my dad and uncles. It was handed down to her from her mom, my great-grandmother. I too am the ONLY one allowed to cook with them. However I will say that my wife's skills and attention to detail when "cleaning" has come a long way. It also helps we have a gas house so they go straight from the water back on to the fire to dry and get a coating.

Check out the other videos that guy has, he's got some really interesting stuff.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks for the advise.
View Quote
@eeeticket

Don’t use a grinder, you'll leave divots in it. Use a piece of 80 grit or so wet or dry sandpaper in your sink. Don't get it too slick so the seasoning will have something to stick to.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
At this point OP should just learn to make said bacon. I've been buying bellies for $2.99/lb and it doesnt take much work.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@eeeticket

Don’t use a grinder, you'll leave divots in it. Use a piece of 80 grit or so wet or dry sandpaper in your sink. Don't get it too slick so the seasoning will have something to stick to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the advise.
@eeeticket

Wasn't planning  to use a " grinder " . I have all the stuff the guy in the video has. I have the same wheel the guy used.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#30]
You that remove shit coating that they call "seasoning" on those pans, sand a little for a flat surface, season it yourself and you are gtg.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINKY

I've been following Kent Rollins for years.

He IS the king of cast iron cooking.

Link Posted: 10/17/2019 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've been following Kent Rollins for years.

He IS the king of cast iron cooking.

View Quote
Yes he is!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top