Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2020 5:18:41 PM EDT
I am at a crossroads in my career. I’ve worked as a professional photographer for 28 years and it is time to hang it up. I’ve occasionally considered moving into aviation but never took the plunge. Is it too late for me and too stupid of a choice at my age?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am at a crossroads in my career. I’ve worked as a professional photographer for 28 years and it is time to hang it up. I’ve occasionally considered moving into aviation but never took the plunge. Is it too late for me and too stupid of a choice at my age?
View Quote
No, not if you do it correctly and understand what you’re getting yourself into.

If you want to do it step one would be find an FAA medical examiner and ensure you can pass a First Class physical.

AME search

Step 2 would be to find a school that could take you from private thru MEI as quickly as practical.

Step 3 would be to build 1500 hours as a flight instructor.

Step 4 would be to get on with a regional and you might find yourself sitting at a major around the time you turn 35.

Screw anything up along the way (bend metal, DUI or get violated) and you’ve just spent $100,000 to have a mediocre career.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI.  Get your medical.  There are a lot of medications what are disqualifying. Some can be substituted.  I don't know if it changed, but it used to be that if you ever took SSRIs, you were permanently disqualified.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
OP said he's been working as photographer for 28 years. That puts him at a lot older than 35 before he starts flight training.

OP, it really depends how old you are and how badly you want it. If you're 48 now (total guess), I don't think it's a great idea personally because it will take you well into your 50s before you get to fly for a network/major carrier and that's assuming they will hire you at that age. There are other careers in aviation, but if you're talking about working for a network carrier, you're going to have a limited time for your career to develop.

If it's your passion, talk to someone who flies for the carrier you want to work for and talk to their pilot recruiting group before sinking your money into flight training.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a lot more to aviation than just flying planes...
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 2:25:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a lot more to aviation than just flying planes...
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 4:01:37 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want to fly for commercial airlines, age is a big deal, as there is a mandatory retirement age.  If you don't have the time to work your way through the system and get a return on investment, it won't be worth it.  (e.g. don't go $100k in debt if you will only work at a major airline for a couple years maximum)
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Interesting conversation. I tought about this earlier tonight. Subscribed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:36:17 AM EDT
[#8]
When you say “ moving into aviation” , moving where?

Pilot, AMT, Flight Attendant, Air Traffic Control, Fueler, Poopsmith?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:08:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Judging by your question: yes, yes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top