Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2022 8:50:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter]
Message from the author of Until the Eyes Shut.  Book is D-Day Tank Hunter

I have helped publishing the WW II memoires of (Leutnant) Hans Hoeller, a very close friend of mine. He is now 100 years old. As one of the last living German veterans he fought from 1941-1944 as a tank hunter in North Africa, Normandy, the Falaise Pocket and Eastern France.

Hans was in the middle of the firestorm when the Allied Forces landed on 6. June 1944, and I believe, this might be one of the last perspectives shared by a German veteran.
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WHJGTBR?tag=arfcom00-20

Disclaimer:  I am neither related nor do I have pecuniary interest in the book and I"m not Jeff Bozos either.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks! I'm going to pick that up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll get it. I like seeing the war from the other side's point of view as well as the Allies point of view.

Thanks for taking the time to post.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you, good post
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]
My copy is at the Post Office
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 11:41:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#5]
After returning from Africa, Hoeller served in the same division but different regiment than Hans von Luck (Panzer Commander).  Hoeller is given command of a self-propelled panzer jager unit.  It is composed of three French Somua armored halftracks with the 75 mm Pak 40 mounted on.  As the 21st Panzer was whittled down, he finally came under von Luck's command.   If you enjoyed von Luck's book, you should read this one to provide corroboration of the events in Normandy and Falaise.

Leutnant Hans Hoeller survived the Normandy battles and the Falaise Gap only to be captured by the American equipped French Army.  Being a member of the 21st Panzer Div., he had skulls on his uniform and was almost shot by his captor who had shoved a 1911 into his face.  He was saved when a French officer spotted the "Afrika" cuff on his sleeve and asked him about his Africa service.  Unhesitantly Hoeller mentioned the areas he fought in as well as a few towns in Tunisia along with the barracks (Marshal Foch) that he stayed at when redeployed to Africa following a bout with dystentary.  This convinced the officer that he was not SS and his life was spared.  Several times though angry French soldiers wanted to kill him and other German prisoners but a French speaking German PoW pleaded with them and their French guard (a NCO) to spare them.  They survived.  Hoeller went to Oklahoma and sat out the war there.

Hoeller mentions an incident in Normandy where one distraut NCO who had orders to execute a French civilian who was possibly a member of the Resistance.  Hoeller told the NCO to take him behind a building and send him on the way.  The NCO was visibly relieved.

Along with other PoWs, Hoeller boarded a Liberty ship going to America.  When their voyage was almost over, they saw the American sailors tossing boxes of supplies overboard.  This puzzled the Germans and they asked why. The sailors told them that when they got to port, they would receive fresh supplies.  The PoWs then realized that unlike Germany, America enjoyed abundance and knew that America could not be defeated.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
i read until eyes shut a few years ago

it was pretty good
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the heads up OP added it to my list!
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:08:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: panzersergeant] [#9]
Had to google French Sumua halftrack with pak40. Pretty cool armored vehicle.

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks interesting. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#11]
It does look interesting.  Thanks Jeff!
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Been reading it for the last few days.  Good book.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Got an autographed photo of the author!  Per Anreas Hartzinger, Herr Hoeller is very pleased that his book is being read and is well received by Americans.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Excellent read, well worth the time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#15]
excellent read

i’m about 80% thru it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Which Oklahoma POW camp was he in?
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:06:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By redleg13a:
Which Oklahoma POW camp was he in?
View Quote

He was in Alva, Oklahoma.

https://www.alvaok.org/vnews/display.v/SEC/Alva%20Public%20Library%7CGenealogy%3E%3EPOW%20Camp

Here is a short read on Camp Alva https://www.alvaok.org/vnews/display.v/SEC/Alva%20Public%20Library%7CGenealogy%3E%3EPOW%20Camp

Here is a link at that same website to newspaper articles on PoWs.  One American guard had no idea where he was when they were transporting the prisoners.  Everything was blacked out on the train.  When the train arrived in Alva, one asked another, "Where the hell is Alva?"  When one MP called home and told his mother they were in Oklahoma, she advised him, "Watch the Indians. Don't let them shoot you with bows and arrows."  I think mom watched too many cowboy movies.

https://www.alvaok.org/vimages/shared/vnews/stories/5e84a181c4561/POW%20Articles.pdf

BTW, I'm sharing the Alva link with Andreas so he can show it to Hans.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:02:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Been to and through Alva many times.  Not much around there. Those prisoners would probably turn around and go back if they tried to escape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top