Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2020 8:00:43 AM EDT
I finally bought a new wheelset to replace the E13 TRS Race carbon wheels I have been using on my YT Jeffsy. I had lost confidence in carbon wheels after breaking a rear wheel last spring. I ended up installing Cush Core tire inserts to protect the lightweight carbon rims, but those inserts added 1.5lbs to those lightweight wheels .

The hard part was deciding between the $750 Industry Nine 1/1 Enduro S, the $975 Hydra Enduro S, and the $1350 Hydra 305s. The 0.57 degree hub engagement of the Hydra got me over the 4 degrees of the 1/1. Then the decision came down to the spokes. The 305s have proprietary hollow aluminum spokes that are light, strong, and only available from I9. While I would love the lighter "cooler" wheels, it didn't seem practical.

I ended up choosing the Hydra Enduro S. It is the same Hydra hub as the more expensive wheelset, but accepts straight pull steel spokes and uses the alloy Enduro S rim with a 30.5mm internal width. With a 20% off coupon from backcountry.com, the wheels came in at $780, just $30 more than the regular price of the 1/1 wheelset. As for weight, the Hydra Enduro S wheels weigh 200g more than my carbon wheels, which is 0.4lbs! That sounds horrible, but I am no longer using tire inserts, so I am actually saving 1.1lbs in important rotational weight.

I took them out yesterday for a ride with my son to give them a try. I did notice a difference right away, mainly with the sound. I'm guessing I9 shipped the wheels with grease instead of oil, because the hub was super quiet. About halfway through my 12 mile ride, I started hearing the buzz of the Hydra, but it was still much quieter than the E13s I was using. I like loud hubs, but for those who don't,  here you go. The other sound I noticed was the sound of aluminum. When rocks and trail debris hit carbon, the sound is muffled and dull. When aluminum is struck, you get a louder pinging sound. That took some getting used to.

After I got over the sound, I started noticing the hub engagement. The reviews aren't lying when they say instant engagement. My old hubs were 6 degrees and these are 0.57 degrees, and that is a huge difference. The usual feeling of hitting a wall as the hubs engage during that initial peddle stroke was gone. I was able to get instant power with just the slightest movement of my pedals. Getting a 1/4 pedal stroke in between berms or other trail features seemed to propel me instantly without that normal clunk that I would get after hammering down for a second.

Overall, I'm totally happy with these wheels and will not be going back to carbon anytime soon. Maybe on a XC bike, but not on an all-mountain bike.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#1]
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

sick wheels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top