Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2022 4:38:31 PM EDT
Looking for some input as I don't know what I don't know.  Currently have a Kawasaki KRX and use it for trail riding and rock crawling mainly but I'm looking at getting a second rig and going a little different route geared towards mud and light trails.  Looking for some input on which model I should be looking for with this type of riding in mind.

From what I see a front runner would be something like a Polaris General but have been reading that it's pretty much necessary to build the transmission which isn't a huge deal but really didn't want to have to do right off the bat.  Plan would be eventually lift kit, portals, and all the works but it's going to be a slow process.

Any suggestions on other models to look at?
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a Honda Pioneer 500 that did good for mud and light trail use. Before that I had a Kawasaki Prairie 650. The SXS are a lot like a JD Gator great for old farmers but not an aggressive type machine.  Honda makes other models that are wider wheelbase and much more aggressive, also more expensive.   For what they are - and cost, a used Jeep seems more practical to me, or an off road motorcycle or best ever a tractor.

I like the feel of the 4x4 better than the SXS and I kind of like the dirt bikes the best, but man was the tractor useful.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a Honda Pioneer 500 that did good for mud and light trail use. Before that I had a Kawasaki Prairie 650. The SXS are a lot like a JD Gator great for old farmers but not an aggressive type machine.  Honda makes other models that are wider wheelbase and much more aggressive, also more expensive.   For what they are - and cost, a used Jeep seems more practical to me, or an off road motorcycle or best ever a tractor.

I like the feel of the 4x4 better than the SXS and I kind of like the dirt bikes the best, but man was the tractor useful.
View Quote

Billy Madison - Everyone in this Room is Now Dumber

Link Posted: 2/18/2022 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, what part of the country are you in?

You’re already familiar with the KRX, how about another one? They are considered great trail riders, maybe a little underpowered for deep mud though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OP, what part of the country are you in?

You’re already familiar with the KRX, how about another one? They are considered great trail riders, maybe a little underpowered for deep mud though.
View Quote

We ride a lot in the ozarks, hit some off road parks that are a lot of rock crawling, and hit some mud parks.  So a little bit of everything that we have to offer.  

The KRX is great but there are really two reasons we won't get getting a second one.  No 4 seater option, and they aren't as popular as some of the other options.  It's going to be used to generate social media content for a business so my thought was a more popular model for the second machine.

Plan to hit the local dealer tomorrow to check out a 2 seater general and see how we fit but I'll be looking for a used machine once we get a model nailed down.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We ride a lot in the ozarks, hit some off road parks that are a lot of rock crawling, and hit some mud parks.  So a little bit of everything that we have to offer.  

The KRX is great but there are really two reasons we won't get getting a second one.  No 4 seater option, and they aren't as popular as some of the other options.  It's going to be used to generate social media content for a business so my thought was a more popular model for the second machine.

Plan to hit the local dealer tomorrow to check out a 2 seater general and see how we fit but I'll be looking for a used machine once we get a model nailed down.
View Quote

Are you wanting to keep it stock or modify it heavily?

For a stock machine I would look at the Honda pioneer 1000. If you’re going four seats and going to lift it and maybe use gear reduction portals I would go Polaris General or Ranger 1000. My buddy’s Defender is holding up pretty good and he’s running 35” tires with a medium lift kit but he really needs forward A arms to keep it from rubbing in tight turns. I really like my other buddy’s Honda but I don’t like the seating arrangements loosing cargo space.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#6]
You’ll have more aftermarket support if you go with a Polaris or CanAm. For your type of riding I don’t think you need a Turbo model. Do you want the big storage area that the General comes with? In your shoes I’d probably steer towards a RZR 4 seater.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You’ll have more aftermarket support if you go with a Polaris or CanAm. For your type of riding I don’t think you need a Turbo model. Do you want the big storage area that the General comes with? In your shoes I’d probably steer towards a RZR 4 seater.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Rzr is uncomfortable for me to drive/ride in for any long periods of time.  Knees on the dash, shoulder out the door.  Turbo would be great but I've got to shop for one that I'll be comfortable in first.
Quoted:

For a stock machine I would look at the Honda pioneer 1000. If you’re going four seats and going to lift it and maybe use gear reduction portals I would go Polaris General or Ranger 1000. My buddy’s Defender is holding up pretty good and he’s running 35” tires with a medium lift kit but he really needs forward A arms to keep it from rubbing in tight turns. I really like my other buddy’s Honda but I don’t like the seating arrangements loosing cargo space.

It will end up being heavily modified.  Lift kit or long travel kit, portals, 35+ tires (probably a set of trail & mud tires), cage, etc.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Rzr is uncomfortable for me to drive/ride in for any long periods of time.  Knees on the dash, shoulder out the door.  Turbo would be great but I've got to shop for one that I'll be comfortable in first.

It will end up being heavily modified.  Lift kit or long travel kit, portals, 35+ tires (probably a set of trail & mud tires), cage, etc.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would lean towards the Polaris or CanAm then. If you’re needing leg room I would look at the Ranger over the General. But I truly love the ride of the General. The Razors have great ride quality but really limited space if you hunt or work. Just remember the portal’s will take a chunk off your speed but they will help your belt life. I’ve heard people complaining about replacing seals and others having excellent seal life. I would love to build a dedicated mountain machine but we use ours so much on the farm it’s hard to justify the expense.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looking for some input as I don't know what I don't know.  Currently have a Kawasaki KRX and use it for trail riding and rock crawling mainly but I'm looking at getting a second rig and going a little different route geared towards mud and light trails.  Looking for some input on which model I should be looking for with this type of riding in mind.

From what I see a front runner would be something like a Polaris General but have been reading that it's pretty much necessary to build the transmission which isn't a huge deal but really didn't want to have to do right off the bat.  Plan would be eventually lift kit, portals, and all the works but it's going to be a slow process.

Any suggestions on other models to look at?
View Quote

Why? I have zero issues with mine. It's handled everything I've thrown at it and more. Break in the belt and go to town. Early models had issues with turf mode grenading, but that isn't a problem with 2020+
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Had my general since 2017. Utility and trail capability are perfect for my use.

It’s quick and nimble but dump back allows for lots of storage/gear/utility.

Tossed some headlock KM3s on it for mixer on/off road use and it’s been great.

No issues to date other than door and turf mode recalls.

Might trade for new one given used market values. Rented one and the new fender flairs/ride command are slick. Not a need but a want for me
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why? I have zero issues with mine. It's handled everything I've thrown at it and more. Break in the belt and go to town. Early models had issues with turf mode grenading, but that isn't a problem with 2020+
View Quote

I doubt we'll get one as new as a 20 model.  Most I'm seeing are 18-19 in the price range that we are looking for but not in a huge hurry so may wait for a good deal to come along.

Turf mode delete and installing a double roller reverse chain are the two main things that I've read about.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 1:05:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a 2021 Honda Pioneer and have zero complaints about it. Not being a dumbass has resulted in me pulling out a KRX (multiple times) and several Rangers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#13]
General is what you seek .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top