Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2021 3:10:12 PM EDT
This came out a couple of months ago, but I didn't see it here.  

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/new-piper-wing-spar-ad-affects-5400-aircraft/

Owners of Piper PA-28 and PA-32 models have been hit with a series of airworthiness directives over the last year, including one related to main-spar corrosion, but the latest AD stems from a fatal accident in 2018 when a Piper Arrow conducting flight training lost a wing and killed the FAA examiner and student. The Arrow was 11 years old but had accumulated more than 7,600 hours, exclusively in the training environment.

The most recent AD calls for inspections of the lower spar caps at the bolted joint to the carry-through structure inside the cabin for aircraft with more than 5,000 hours time in service and applies to more than 5,400 aircraft. The accident Arrow’s wing failed due to a fatigue fracture at the “bolted joint” along the lower spar cap, according to investigators. The AD is effective on Feb. 16, 2021, and affects PA-28 and PA-32 aircraft from the PA-28-151 Warrior up to the PA-32RT Saratoga. It also includes all Arrow models, but not the PA-28-236 Dakota or the lighter non-taper-wing PA-28 series.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/11/23/2020-25690/airworthiness-directives-piper-aircraft-inc-airplanes
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
That reads a little bit like the Emergency Revocation the FAA did for LAB years ago.  Makes me glad I'm not in GA maintenance anymore.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That reads a little bit like the Emergency Revocation the FAA did for LAB years ago.  Makes me glad I'm not in GA maintenance anymore.
View Quote

That happened in 2008. Last time I was in Haines and Juneau there were still LAB aircraft sitting on the ramp rotting.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I knew that examiner very well, John Azma. I believe he did 3-4 of my check rides. Was very very well known in the Central Florida area and the Cessna and Learjet crowds.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That happened in 2008. Last time I was in Haines and Juneau there were still LAB aircraft sitting on the ramp rotting.
View Quote

My last landing in Haines was in 10 and they were there. On the 4th that year I met Lynn and his wife. That guy was something else.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:57:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you meant to say... old AD and it only changes high time Pipers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top