Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2020 1:27:16 AM EDT
Walked into my buddy's store today... taking one guitar back. I demo all kinds of crap from there, a perk of spending at least $100K over 30+ years, not to mention being one of my best friends. And somehow I walked out with that very same guitar (new Tom Anderson shorty Classic in candy red), and also drug this thing home. I've had an R0 before, that was the favorite one of him and the sales guys there, that they've ever had. But then this thing comes and it slays even that one. It's used, and has a tasteful top (the other two Reissues currently there have nicer tops), but this thing is just so flawless in every day. I've never played an LP that was setup better, felt better to play, or sounded better. This might actually be one that actually sticks around for a while... bucking the ever-present trend of things coming and going as if I own a music store myself, a fact that just thrills my wife beyond words (into forever disappointed looks... LOL!)

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:50:23 AM EDT
[#1]
That is a beautiful LP.  I had a LP Standard "Raw Power" natural satin finish one several years back that I still kick myself for selling.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice!  I'm not really familiar with the different models the Les Paul comes in these days, but that one sure is pretty.  

I got my Les Paul out yesterday, for the first time months (or maybe even a year).  Man do I ever suck with an electric guitar.    I've been playing my acoustics pretty much exclusively for the past couple of years, and what a difference.  The strings on the electric felt like slinkys.  I never could sit down and balance the Les Paul on my lap, so I had to get a strap out, and that felt weird too.  After about 45 minutes, I gave up and put it back in the case.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats on a great looking LP.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Now that's a winner. If I could find that top with white binding... I would sell my Supreme.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Far from a Gibson fan but that top is a thing of beauty!
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice!  I'm not really familiar with the different models the Les Paul comes in these days, but that one sure is pretty.  

I got my Les Paul out yesterday, for the first time months (or maybe even a year).  Man do I ever suck with an electric guitar.    I've been playing my acoustics pretty much exclusively for the past couple of years, and what a difference.  The strings on the electric felt like slinkys.  I never could sit down and balance the Les Paul on my lap, so I had to get a strap out, and that felt weird too.  After about 45 minutes, I gave up and put it back in the case.  
View Quote

R0 stands for "1960 Reissue", or the Teissues also are known as True Heritage line. They are custom shop models that are made as close to period correct to the vintage originals as you can get. I've played and owned many LPs (including another R0 a couple of years ago), all the from the Studio series on the low end, to these True Historic models. And they look, feel, and sound like the real thing. The lightness of the bodies and airy, clear, openness of the pickups, combine to create a much more vintage style of instrument than newer LPs. A Les Paul will give you a tone that no other guitar will give you.

Having said all of that, I've mostly been a strat guy for much of my 35 years of playing and gigging. So like you, every time I go back to playing an LP, I get a bit discouraged at first because they are so different. I too keep mine in their cases and don't play them often (unless I'm really into one, like I am this one. And like you, I've been in acoustic mode for much of the past decade. I was very discouraged several days ago, but I've enjoyed this LP so much that after several days of enjoying playing her, my LP feel and chops started to come back. I've found that if I push through the slop and frustration for several days, the feel comes back and my discouragement starts to morph into encouragement. I'm gonna stay away from my holy grail strats (Anderson Classic and Friedman classic) for a while and hopefully keep this LP train a rollin'.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats, man. I'm not a Gibson guy anymore because of their recent antics, but I can still appreciate a beautiful example, and you have one there!
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Period correct reflector knobs
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

R0 stands for "1960 Reissue", or the Teissues also are known as True Heritage line. They are custom shop models that are made as close to period correct to the vintage originals as you can get. I've played and owned many LPs (including another R0 a couple of years ago), all the from the Studio series on the low end, to these True Historic models. And they look, feel, and sound like the real thing. The lightness of the bodies and airy, clear, openness of the pickups, combine to create a much more vintage style of instrument than newer LPs. A Les Paul will give you a tone that no other guitar will give you.

Having said all of that, I've mostly been a strat guy for much of my 35 years of playing and gigging. So like you, every time I go back to playing an LP, I get a bit discouraged at first because they are so different. I too keep mine in their cases and don't play them often (unless I'm really into one, like I am this one. And like you, I've been in acoustic mode for much of the past decade. I was very discouraged several days ago, but I've enjoyed this LP so much that after several days of enjoying playing her, my LP feel and chops started to come back. I've found that if I push through the slop and frustration for several days, the feel comes back and my discouragement starts to morph into encouragement. I'm gonna stay away from my holy grail strats (Anderson Classic and Friedman classic) for a while and hopefully keep this LP train a rollin'.
View Quote

Yeah, I need to get back on the electric.  But it's just so easy to grab one of my acoustics.  Much easier than dragging out an amp (don't have a dedicated "music room").
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Period correct reflector knobs
View Quote

Yup, I put them on that '56 Epi special limited run candy red LP as well. I replaced the stock P90s with a pair of Kent Armstrong noiseless P90s. That guitar is as badass sounding/playing as any LP I've had over the years besides the Custom Shop Reissues. I was never a P90 guy, but I absolutely LOVE then rock tone of this setup and plan to eventually get a Gibby goldtop with P90s.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, I need to get back on the electric.  But it's just so easy to grab one of my acoustics.  Much easier than dragging out an amp (don't have a dedicated "music room").
View Quote

Gotchya, and agreed. I've locked myself away in my man cave so many hours in my life, that I too often choose to pull out an acoustic instead... many times just so I can noodle in front of the TV and hang with my wife, instead of locking myself away like a hermit.

But I will say that because I've upgraded my DAW studio gear this year, my desire to lock myself away again has somewhat come back. Also because I'm more focused in my playing when I'm not halfassing playing in front of the TV.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Wired a set of DiMarzio 36th Anni PAFs in the red LP Classic today. Have always wanted a pair of double-cream humbuckers in an LP, and since I wanted to make these LPs into twins anyways, this seemed like the perfect opportunity.

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry to derail my own thread here... but took a cool shot of "the twins" under blue light while I was playing tonight...

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Mainly a Flying V guy here...but have a few Lesters.  Here is my favorite...a Birdseye maple Les Paul Standard in honeyburst

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Beautiful Les Pauls being posted in here. I’ve always wanted one, found a beautiful Standard 50s I was going to get right as all this Covid crap started, decided I better wait and make sure I wasn’t going to be unemployed before pulling the trigger on one. I think it’s time to start the search again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Very nice! I've never seen a bird's eye topped LP before.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#18]
By just looks that Epi with the P90's nearly brings a tear to my eye.  LOL.  That thing is gorgeous.  I got a thing for P90's.  How they look and sound.  I prefer a LP with P90's sound wise.  I'd even go so far as to say probably the best combo of sound for a guitar would come from a LP with single coils.    But I'm not sure I've ever seen one other than a coil splitter / tapper model.

All of them you have are beautiful though.  Glad you found one you really like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top