Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2022 10:01:59 AM EDT
Mrs Pointblanke bought me a new humidor for my birthday. I calibrated the hygrometer and put a cup of water in it for a week or so. Humidity reached 70% and I figured all was well. I put a boveda 72% in it along with my cigars. It has now dropped below 60%. What can I do to get this rectified?
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Mrs Pointblanke bought me a new humidor for my birthday. I calibrated the hygrometer and put a cup of water in it for a week or so. Humidity reached 70% and I figured all was well. I put a boveda 72% in it along with my cigars. It has now dropped below 60%. What can I do to get this rectified?
View Quote

First, wipe down the insides with distilled water and soak it to a degree.

Next, add a few packs and see if you can’t bump up the number.

Third, add more packs if your cigars are on the drier side of things.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Don’t trust an analog hydrometer to read accurately.   Get a digital one to make sure it’s accurate.  

If you open it a lot it will low humidity.  Wipe distilled water on a couple surfaces to bump it up.   It wasn’t stabilized when you added the cigars is all.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#3]
When I seasoned my desktops I used the 84% Boveda packs for about 2 weeks (until the RH held steady according to calibrated digital hygrometers.) Next I swapped them out for 69% packs and waited about 48 hrs or so to make sure they held steady at the new lower RH. Only then did I add the cigars. They did fluctuate a bit after adding the sticks but  settled down pretty quickly.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Boveda calibration check.  Make sure your reading is accurate.  BTW, my analog works fine.

https://bovedainc.com/question/how-do-i-calibrate-my-hygrometer-3/
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I wipe down the insides, then put a shot glass in there for a few days. I follow that up by a boveda 84% for a day or two and then put in a 72%.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#6]
All of this helps a lot. Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine took about 3 months to "stabilize". That meant adding humidor fluid every week.

Now I only need to add it every couple months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top