Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So you're saying it's a problem with their dyno or their use of it?  That's a fair point.
View Quote
Well the quarter mile numbers line up with a 3600 pd car with 500hp at the crank perfectly..with 600 hp that 1/4 drops a second on time and picks up 10 mph... or to run those same numbers with 600 hp the car would have to weigh 4400 pounds..... the mid engine puts enough weight on the drive wheels to make the car hook much harder that an older vet, thus the increase in ET versus the old car..the tires are hooking much harder if not completely, plus the quicker trans is going to cut time and add speed...
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's been built-in to the computers for a long time. There is a power-boost table in my 2000 Silverado that changes the fuel-air ration from 14.7 to whatever you want, max power usually happens around 13.8 - this table is disabled in the factory settings but is easily enabled and changed to whatever you want with the HPTuners or equivalent setup. Factory settings are prioritized first for minimum emissions, second for maximum mileage - maximum power doesn't happen under either of those priorities. But a press car, that won't ever be sold to the public, can easily get "tweaked". I think the most famous press car "tweak" were the GTO's that had the special built 428 engines installed instead of the stock 389's.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]
2020 C8 CORVETTE on the DYNO! WAY higher horsepower and torque than GM is reporting!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well the quarter mile numbers line up with a 3600 pd car with 500hp at the crank perfectly..with 600 hp that 1/4 drops a second on time and picks up 10 mph... or to run those same numbers with 600 hp the car would have to weigh 4400 pounds..... the mid engine puts enough weight on the drive wheels to make the car hook much harder that an older vet, thus the increase in ET versus the old car..the tires are hooking much harder if not completely, plus the quicker trans is going to cut time and add speed...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're saying it's a problem with their dyno or their use of it?  That's a fair point.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
lol, oh wait you are serious?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Theres no way any NA engine could make that much more power on tune alone.
So much details proving me wrong.
Congrats
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Congrats
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats
It’s really laughable, isn’t it.

I could see if on the SAE the rating was at 6400 & this Dyno run showed north of 7500rpm, then we could see some screwy figures. From looking at the Dyno & where 5252 overlap I see what is about 6500. 150HP worth of screwy? Doubt it.

I was skeptical in the first thread, but hey, without actual track numbers, I had nothing to base an argument on. Now that GM has published the numbers & MT has backed them up, & more data will follow, I can now say my gut instinct was correct.

Now, if GM had said 121MPH traps & then MT got 135MPH traps then we would have something to support the Dyno numbers. As of right now that is not the case.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's no problem with the Dyno, as far as calibration/ functionality goes.. The operator is not a dummy either..

If your calling BS on the numbers (I'm ok with this) its some other factor.

Keep digging
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
About a month ago, this event happened at our shop, I was so excited I posted a play by play one ARF, and wound up getting in a heaping mess of trouble with GM, and The Magazine..

But, now the info is out, so we can chat about it.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-power-dyno/

From left to right is Famous Import drag racer Chris Rado, Eric "Grim" Kozeluh from Twins Turbo, and some magazine guy..

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59051/2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-C8-at-the-dyno-with-engine_jpg-1132665.JPG

How Much Power Does the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Really Make? We Take it to the Dyno and Find Out
A lot more, it turns out

Miguel Cortina
Oct 21, 2019

I'm looking through a window, hands around my face, staring at a screen with all sorts of graphics and numbers that are too small to read. On the other side of the window, a red 2020 Chevrolet Corvette is strapped to the dyno with its rear wheels spinning very, very fast.

The double-paned windows are not enough to keep the engine note from reaching other parts of the facility. The speedometer on the screen reads 150 mph, but the front wheels are not moving at all. Once the engine noise winds down and the wheels stop spinning, the numbers we're looking for pop up on the screen—558 hp and 515 lb-ft of torque at the wheels. "We've got a hot rod!" says international bureau chief Angus MacKenzie, who has been standing next to me all this time.

We're in shock. A quick math check reveals that's an estimated 656 hp and 606 lb-ft of torque at the crank if we assume a 15-percent drivetrain loss—way over the 495 hp and 470 lb-ft that Chevy claims. (That 15 percent represents the power consumed by everything between the engine crankshaft and the drive wheels, including inertia of all the spinning parts, power to run the hydraulic pump in an automatic or twin-clutch transmission, the drag that occurs when gears spin through lubricating oil, friction between the gear teeth, etc. It's an educated guestimate frequently used across the industry for modern light-duty automatic transmissions—manuals experience slightly smaller losses; older or heavier-duty automatics slightly larger ones.)

But let's rewind. Earlier that morning, Chevrolet dropped the 2020 Corvette with VIN 10 at our headquarters in El Segundo, California, to perform a Real MPG test by our partners at EQUA. The early-built production car was shipped from the plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky, to Milford Proving Ground in Michigan for a check before it made it down to Southern California. The Corvette was tested by MotorTrend the week prior at Fontana and a few days later at the Hyundai-Kia proving ground for our Car of the Year competition. The 'Vette spent every night under the vigilance of the Chevrolet public relations team and was handed back to the editorial team in the mornings. The evening prior to the dyno run, the Corvette was driven by an editor from Tehachapi, California, to our headquarters, where it was taken by the Chevy team for the night.

That sunny September morning, the EQUA technician told us he didn't have the right equipment for the test—he needed a different set of tubes to seal around the exhaust outlets; the ones he had wouldn't resist the higher temperature from a mid-engine sports car. Our Plan B? Take it to the dyno before the Corvette got on a trailer to go back to Michigan that evening.

Which is how Angus and I ended up staring through the glass at those surprising numbers. We asked the dyno technician to run the test in fifth gear after a call Angus and I had with Chris Walton, our road test editor, who estimated that fifth gear could probably be the closest 1:1 ratio. (A call with Chevy would later confirm that, but more on that later.) We decided to run the test again.

The massive fan starts to blow air straight at the Corvette as the rear wheels start moving. Our attention shifts to the screen—558 hp and 512 lb-ft at the wheels, almost identical numbers as the first run. Assuming a 15-percent drivetrain loss, those numbers go up to about 656 hp and 602 lb-ft. Still too high. What is going on?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59051/2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-C8-RUN-1_jpg-1132662.JPG

Runs three and four are also done in fifth gear; the dynamometer reads 561 hp and 515 lb-ft, then 556 hp and 523 lb ft. That translates to 660 hp and 606 lb-ft and 654 hp and 615 lb-ft at the crank, respectively, assuming the same 15-percent drivetrain loss. We get Chris back on the phone.

The numbers are too similar. We don't have the gear ratios, so Chris suggests we try sixth gear to see if the numbers change. The engine starts revving, wheels start spinning, and once again everyone is staring at the screen.

The numbers are different. The dynamometer reads 478 hp and 536 lb-ft at the wheels. Per our calculations, that means the crank is outputting about 562 hp and 630 lb-ft of torque. Both numbers are still high, but why did the torque number rise instead of going down? The next run, our sixth, would be the last.

Our eyes are glued to the screen. The bright green numbers appear on the monitor, reading 478 hp and 544 lb-ft at the wheels. If we continue to assume a 15-percent drivetrain loss, this 'Vette would be producing about 562 hp and 640 lb-ft at the crank. We're all scratching our heads.

We couldn't come up with a conclusion other than the engine makes a lot more power than the advertised 495 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque. We call Chevy and ask them to set up a call with engineers and to provide the 'Vette's gear ratios.

A short time later, Chevy PR provides the following gear ratios:

"There has to be another transfer gear ratio between these and the axle ratio, I guarantee," MotorTrend technical director Frank Markus says. Using the rear wheel speed and tire size, Frank was able to estimate the output shaft ratios, but we waited until the call with engineers to confirm.

A couple of days later, engineers provide us two reasons for the discrepancy of power. The first one is that when the Corvette is cold, it actually produces more horsepower than when it's hot. But that doesn't make sense—we saw similar numbers after six runs, and the car was pretty hot by the end of the second run. The other explanation is that Chevrolet certifies most of its engines through the SAE, the Society of Automotive Engineers, which follows a strict set of rules and standards to determine the horsepower and torque ratings. In other words, the SAE acts as an independent party that's present during the engine tests and is the one who determines the final output ratings. Their testing does not involve a simple pull from idle to redline, either. Rather, rpm are slowly ramped up and allowed to stabilize before accelerating further. This process results in significantly more heat generation than any single pull from our six dyno runs. For that reason, the engineers say, it's not uncommon for single chassis dyno pulls to register higher output (and it is extremely unlikely any car will ever generate less than rated output). According to Chevy engineers, this is an expensive process, given that someone from the SAE has to be present, but the automaker has done this for years, and it's a procedure that it continues to follow with most of its engines in the U.S.

A quick check of the SAE database reveals that the certification test of the 6.2-liter V-8 LT2 engine with the optional exhaust system took place at the Pontiac Engineering Center in Michigan on April 9, 2019. Jordan Lee, chief engineer of the Corvette's engine, signed the certification on July 15—just three days before the reveal in Tustin. The engine was rated at 495 hp at 6,450 rpm and 470 lb-ft of torque at 5,150 rpm The vehicle code name 2020 Y2XX underwent three tests, and the power and torque graph looks similar to the one we had at the dyno.

Per the SAE website, only a few manufacturers certify their engines through them. General Motors dominates the list, and a few Ford and FCA engines have also been certified.

Chevy engineers also say that the drivetrain loss of a dual-clutch transmission, like the one in the Corvette, is less than 15 percent—but hesitated to give us an exact number (and even if it was zero loss, we still measured more wheel-horsepower than rated crank horsepower). They did provide the gears with the transfer ratio for the manual limited-slip differential and the electronic LSD. Our Z51 with an electronic LSD had a 3.454:1 axle ratio, and after applying the 1.459:1 transfer ratio the effective gear ratios are:

Turns out fifth gear is the closest 1:1. And the fact that the LT2 engine was certified by the SAE means that there could be more power getting to the wheels on our comparatively cool chassis dyno pulls.

Why the huge discrepancy with the numbers? We still don't know. The dyno we used complies with the SAE J1349 procedures, and we've used it multiple times in the past. To prove there wasn't a problem with the dyno, we ran a 2020 Ram 2500 Limited powered by the 6.7-liter turbodiesel Cummins engine, which produces 850 lb-ft of torque but is not SAE-certified. The dyno read 760 lb-ft at the wheels, which means there's about 890 lb-ft at the crank, much closer to the numbers Ram claims.

One thing we know for certain: the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 provided for all our testing produces more power than what Chevy claims. The question is, will all subsequent production Corvettes match this one's output? You can be sure we'll be testing many C8 Corvettes to come, and we'll endeavor to test retail customer cars as well as press cars. Stay tuned.
filter
View Quote
What kind of trouble did you get into OP? Just getting bitched at? Or worse?
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Until I see someone else do a dyno I don't believe it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There's no problem with the Dyno, as far as calibration/ functionality goes.. The operator is not a dummy either..

Keep digging
View Quote
My guess is it has to do with the trans/slipper clutch...I remember hearing something years back about the top fuel slippers making for some funky shit until they got them figured out....
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ouch, that sucks man, hopefully you can run it next year...
View Quote
I'm not the builder, although a lot of work was done in my shop, I just did some cool machining on various bits, team effort by a bunch of very talented folks.   I'm a machining nerd first, then guns and cars.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I could see if on the SAE the rating was at 6400 & this Dyno run showed north of 7500rpm, then we could see some screwy figures. From looking at the Dyno & where 5252 overlap I see what is about 6500. 150HP worth of screwy? Doubt it.

I was skeptical in the first thread, but hey, without actual track numbers, I had nothing to base an argument on. Now that GM has published the numbers & MT has backed them up, & more data will follow, I can now say my gut instinct was correct.

Now, if GM had said 121MPH traps & then MT got 135MPH traps then we would have something to support the Dyno numbers. As of right now that is not the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats

Exactly this
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Keep digging
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep digging
Ok, so what caused the erroneous readings?
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
They dont seem to know.

Gearing, clutch function, and a host of things can cause fluctuations but if the diesel dyno'd normally then its the car.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I love the exterior, but the BJ control bar on the interior is unacceptable
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Ping.

Regards from APG
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What kind of trouble did you get into OP? Just getting bitched at? Or worse?
View Quote
Well someone might have got a ear full from the head of gm motorsports development

Lots of threats.. impending doom inbound.. the storm has passed, but there will still be damage to deal with, we'll see, but.. I was excited!

Being that there's no such thing as bad press, I defiantly caused some commotion with my OG post.. got people talking... .. its a good thing right...

Simple Car Guy
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They dont seem to know.

Gearing, clutch function, and a host of things can cause fluctuations but if the diesel dyno'd normally then its the car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They dont seem to know.

Either way the output had a variable that skewed the figures.

You can blame it on this or that, but at the end of the day a Dyno number is just that, a number. It in no way translates into real world performance & should be taken as a grain of salt.

There used to be an old meme of a bunch of ricers hanging around in a pissing match & it had captions saying “Mine dyno’d this! I win!”

Wish I still had it as it’s appropriate here.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My guess is it has to do with the trans/slipper clutch...I remember hearing something years back about the top fuel slippers making for some funky shit until they got them figured out....
View Quote
I think your on the right track, Ive been using dynos chassis, engine, hub type, rollers... eddy current.. all that for 25+ years,

anytime something like this has people scratching their heads, trying to figure out WTH is happening,

it usually comes back to either traction control (down on power)

Or torque multiplication via the gearing (up on power)

Either way when the car was on the dyno, the magazine guys were on the phone with GM, and they were told that "You are hung up on this 15% drive train loss number, and that's old thinking.. we (GM) worked very hard to free up parasitic losses, that trans axle is unlike anything you've tested before"

Not sure how to factor that one in but.. again this is what happened that day..
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Even of that were true, ~150 HP from a tune? don't think so.
View Quote
I only have experience with boat motors but the merc racing 1150/1350 are just a flip of the ECM switch and upgrade fuel so I don’t know why that couldn’t be programmed into the ecm if the motor were designed for it
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
California sure takes the fun out of everything, not just guns.  Try getting a modded car to pass inspection these days.
View Quote
there are ways around everything
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
there are ways around everything
View Quote
(cough)
registered in Montana.... (cough)

shhhh, keep it on the low....
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I only have experience with boat motors but the merc racing 1150/1350 are just a flip of the ECM switch and upgrade fuel so I don’t know why that couldn’t be programmed into the ecm if the motor were designed for it
View Quote
Basically because a boat engine runs a steady rpm, and has almost zero take off load as it comes up on the pipe...A car on the other hand has to move the weight of the vehicle thru a contact patch on a tire...with a clutch, its pretty easy, rev it up and get the motor in the powerband, then slip the clutch to get it rolling..On an auto with a stock converter it is much harder, same as not touching the gas on a stick and trying to crawl it up under full load...add a big enough stall converter and its back to acting like a revved up clutch....Different type of load across the board versus a boat engine, which makes it much harder to tune only a 150 hp jump on such a small engine..now make it a 900 cubic inch big block..yeah you might just be able to tune a 150 hp jump...Plus, to make more power you have to increase something..air/fuel getting into the chamber(better heads/cam) more cubes(bore/stroke) or rpm's(valve train/bottom end/ heads)...not as easy as just a tune...although the tune is going to have to work with the new mechanicals...
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Basically because a boat engine runs a steady rpm, and has almost zero take off load as it comes up on the pipe...A car on the other hand has to move the weight of the vehicle thru a contact patch on a tire...with a clutch, its pretty easy, rev it up and get the motor in the powerband, then slip the clutch to get it rolling..On an auto with a stock converter it is much harder, same as not touching the gas on a stick and trying to crawl it up under full load...add a big enough stall converter and its back to acting like a revved up clutch....Different type of load across the board versus a boat engine, which makes it much harder to tune only a 150 hp jump on such a small engine..now make it a 900 cubic inch big block..yeah you might just be able to tune a 150 hp jump...Plus, to make more power you have to increase something..air/fuel getting into the chamber(better heads/cam) more cubes(bore/stroke) or rpm's(valve train/bottom end/ heads)...not as easy as just a tune...although the tune is going to have to work with the new mechanicals...
View Quote
Good post!
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think your on the right track, Ive been using dynos chassis, engine, hub type, rollers... eddy current.. all that for 25+ years,

anytime something like this has people scratching their heads, trying to figure out WTH is happening,

Either way when the car was on the dyno, the magazine guys were on the phone with GM, and they were told that "You are hung up on this 15% drive train loss number, and that's old thinking.. we (GM) worked very hard to free up parasitic losses, that trans axle is unlike anything you've tested before"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regardless, there is no free lunch. You can not have a transmission of energy without at least some loss in transmittance energy. The numbers can be skewed but there is no such thing as over unity in transmission of power.

Either way the numbers were skewed & something needs to change in reading the variable.

I agree from the get go MT’s idiots needed to stop touting a crank number of X amount of parasitic loss, because obviously it’s a BS assumption that GM tried to warn them of.

IMO they are hacks for even publishing that perspective of the article & couldn’t wrap their heads around what was going on & it shows.

What they should have done was take the trap times, as those are what is pertinent, cross referenced the Dyno numbers & threw up their hands. Instead they showed massive ignorance in how the real world works in terms of hypothetical & actual power figures.

Simply put, no logical person can look at those numbers, side by side, & think for a single second that engine was making 650HP. It’s complete idiocy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well someone might have got a ear full from the head of gm motorsports development

Lots of threats.. impending doom inbound.. the storm has passed, but there will still be damage to deal with, we'll see, but.. I was excited!

Being that there's no such thing as bad press, I defiantly caused some commotion with my OG post.. got people talking... .. its a good thing right...

Simple Car Guy
View Quote
I actually thought it was part of a planned leak to social media to get buzz going on the car.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Georgia has been cracking down on Montana registrations.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I think this car will be best bang for the buck sports car of the year.

One thing about your picture though OP is damn that engine bay is awful dusty for a brand new car.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Good post!
View Quote
Thanks, but it was a pretty crude flyby of reality..but it hit the high points....
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Regardless, there is no free lunch. You can not have a transmission of energy without at least some loss in transmittance energy. The numbers can be skewed but there is no such thing as over unity in transmission of power.

Either way the numbers were skewed & something needs to change in reading the variable.

I agree from the get go MT’s idiots needed to stop touting a crank number of X amount of parasitic loss, because obviously it’s a BS assumption that GM tried to warn them of.

IMO they are hacks for even publishing that perspective of the article & couldn’t wrap their heads around what was going on & it shows.

What they should have done was take the trap times, as those are what is pertinent, cross referenced the Dyno numbers & threw up their hands. Instead they showed massive ignorance in how the real world works in terms of hypothetical & actual power figures.

Simply put, no logical person can look at those numbers, side by side, & think for a single second that engine was making 650HP. It’s complete idiocy.
View Quote
Exactly...kind of like the first thing the guys with zero knowledge do is go buy fancy intakes and valve covers and think they added a 100 hp..wherein reality they probably lost hp because they took a system and changed it with zero knowledge of the repercussions...My guess is based off what GM and specifically Hendrix motorsports found a few years ago in lowering all the rolling resistance thru out the drivetrain on their speedway cars might be showing up on the C-8...Just a hunch....
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm still baffled by the C&D finding that front/rear visibility is less/more compared to the C7.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm still baffled by the C&D finding that front/rear visibility is less/more compared to the C7.
View Quote
Yet everyone else raves about the front/side views and all say the rear view is no worse than any of the other mid engine cars....
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There's no way chevy is going to get 640hp out of that 6.2 engine and be able to hide it.

It would have to spin to the moon, be way over square bore and would have less torque because of that.

Look at Ferrari had to do to get 700hp out of their NA V12.
NA engines have their physical limits.

So yes I'm saying chevy didnt build a 650hp NA engine and just detune it.

If this was a turbo engine then absolutely all bets are off. They could have easily sandbagged the official numbers and they could detune it 150hp but it's not a turbo engine. It's an NA with physical limitations.
View Quote
You underestimate N/A engines.  If you are willing to lean on them you can make horsepower.  The unrestricted cup guys for a while were touching 900 horsepower and 9,400 rpm. Then the rules realled them in. Having circle tracked n/a engines there is a lot to be had with reliability. I expect these are ringers.but you never know.  Gm may have figured out something.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yet everyone else raves about the front/side views and all say the rear view is no worse than any of the other mid engine cars....
View Quote
If you read the article, they indicate lateral visibility is improved, but fwd vertical visibility is a couple inches less up front, but improved in the rear, which is counterintuitive to the theoretical advantages offered by a ME layout for this attribute.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You underestimate N/A engines.  If you are willing to lean on them you can make horsepower.  The unrestricted cup guys for a while were touching 900 horsepower and 9,400 rpm. Then the rules realled them in. Having circle tracked n/a engines there is a lot to be had with reliability. I expect these are ringers.but you never know.  Gm may have figured out something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no way chevy is going to get 640hp out of that 6.2 engine and be able to hide it.

It would have to spin to the moon, be way over square bore and would have less torque because of that.

Look at Ferrari had to do to get 700hp out of their NA V12.
NA engines have their physical limits.

So yes I'm saying chevy didnt build a 650hp NA engine and just detune it.

If this was a turbo engine then absolutely all bets are off. They could have easily sandbagged the official numbers and they could detune it 150hp but it's not a turbo engine. It's an NA with physical limitations.
I dont underestimate them, I just know enough about engines to know the new 6.2 C8 engine isnt putting out 150 more crank HP one tune alone.

Being NA It would have to be a much larger engine displacement wise or it would have to have a much larger bore than stroke and spin to the moon.

It is neither. Therefor that 6.2 engine would need more than a tune to see what you're effectively saying is an extra 120-130 wheel horsepower off of a tune alone.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Georgia has been cracking down on Montana registrations.
View Quote
Nothing to crack down on. It is a legal way to try to not get raped by the brutal car taxes in Georgia.  My republican government loves high taxes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I dont underestimate them, I just know enough about engines to know the new 6.2 C8 engine isnt putting out 150 more crank HP one tune alone.

Being NA It would have to be a much larger engine displacement wise or it would have to have a much larger bore than stroke and spin to the moon.

It is neither. Therefor that 6.2 engine would need more than a tune to see what you're effectively saying is an extra 120-130 wheel horsepower off of a tune alone.
View Quote
A 6.2 can put out those power numbers.  The cup engines are 358 cubic inches max. About 5.8 liters. I am impressed if the numbers are legitimate for the 6.2 . Assume that the drive train is really efficient. Even at zero loss what is the accuracy of the dyno? Margin of error?
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed. The fact that Motor Trend would push these numbers assuming 15% drivetrain loss despite GM telling them they got their heads up their asses suggests MT wanted to overstate hp.  Which means the whole story is probably garbage start to finish.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Someone beat ya to it OP.

Linky
View Quote
I win lol
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
We'd all agree that an engine *properly* tuned won't get 150 more hp with a better tune. But the question is whether or not it's making 105 hp/L (650 fwhp). And if so, did they detune it for the street by 140 hp (technically possible).
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Super cool, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A 6.2 can put out those power numbers.  The cup engines are 358 cubic inches max. About 5.8 liters. I am impressed if the numbers are legitimate for the 6.2 . Assume that the drive train is really efficient. Even at zero loss what is the accuracy of the dyno? Margin of error?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, would need more displacement and/or way high RPM (oversqaure bore at the sacrifice of torque)  to achieve this tune alone.

With mods like headwork/cam/FBO yes this NA V8 could easily achieve 150 more crank HP. But we're talking about a stock engine tune only.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#44]
If I was a rich midget...I'd have me one of those fuckers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We'd all agree that an engine *properly* tuned won't get 150 more hp with a better tune. But the question is whether or not it's making 105 hp/L (650 fwhp). And if so, did they detune it for the street by 140 hp (technically possible).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys are hilarious.
That's some damn wishful thinking right there.

Chevy isnt going to be giving these base C8 owners a high strung, high revving  essentially racecar V8 wolf engine hiding in sheeps clothing putting out just as much power as the C7Z's supercharged 6.2 and with a warranty.

Lmfao.
They would make you pay for that like any other manufacturer not give it away.

And BMW was one of the last big manufacturers to sell cars with near racecar engines (M cars) and look how that went. They all had some type of durability issue even though they were awesome engines.

Even the 7.0 litre LS7 in the C6Z had issues being a high revving large engine.

Again look no further then the Ferarri 6.2 V12 and see what it took them to get 650-700 crank HP out of a 6.2 NA engine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Again, would need more displacement and/or way high RPM (oversqaure bore at the sacrifice of torque)  to achieve this tune alone.

With mods like headwork/cam/FBO yes this NA V8 could easily achieve 150 more crank HP. But we're talking about a stock engine tune only.
View Quote
7k rpm could do it without much drama.  1.7 hp/cube is doable NA with the higher compression and better timing that DI gets you.  Really work the intake and chamber designs, keep mass down everywhere in the valve train, GM is actually decent at that. Low pressure oil pumps, reduce windage/dry sump,  low tension rings, header design all those little things. Maybe it needs 7500..but nothing outrageous.  Raid the parts bin for some pankle Ti rods, sodium exhaust valves..GM knows how.

I don't believe for a second it's making 650, that's SC LT4 numbers.  I believe 495 is probably a conservative number
and the aftermarket will prove more power is easy to find.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
7k rpm could do it without much drama.  1.7 hp/cube is doable NA with the higher compression and better timing that DI gets you.  Really work the intake and chamber designs, keep mass down everywhere in the valve train, GM is actually decent at that. Low flow oil pumps, reduce windage/dry sump,  low tension rings, header design all those little things. Maybe it needs 7500..but nothing outrageous.  Raid the parts bin for some pankle Ti rods, sodium exhaust valves..GM knows how.

I don't believe for a second it's making 650, that's SC LT4 numbers.  I believe 495 is probably a conservative number
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

7k rpm could do it without much drama.  1.7 hp/cube is doable NA with the higher compression and better timing that DI gets you.  Really work the intake and chamber designs, keep mass down everywhere in the valve train, GM is actually decent at that. Low flow oil pumps, reduce windage/dry sump,  low tension rings, header design all those little things. Maybe it needs 7500..but nothing outrageous.  Raid the parts bin for some pankle Ti rods, sodium exhaust valves..GM knows how.

I dont doubt that.
Given all the things like you mentioned and just in general how the engine tech/parts/builds put more and more power as time goes on its definitely possible the new gen C8 engine could maybe get to that 100 crank hp mark increase tune alone. Prob be closer to 50-80 but I could entertain 100 crank hp.

The increase on this dyno and Chevy sandbagging it that much? Nope, definitely not believing that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 12:08:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You guys are hilarious.
That's some damn wishful thinking right there.

Chevy isnt going to be giving these base C8 owners a high strung, high revving  essentially racecar V8 wolf engine hiding in sheeps clothing putting out just as much power as the C7Z's supercharged 6.2 and with a warranty.

Lmfao.
They would make you pay for that like any other manufacturer not give it away.

And BMW was one of the last big manufacturers to sell cars with near racecar engines (M cars) and look how that went. They all had some type of durability issue even though they were awesome engines.

Even the 7.0 litre LS7 in the C6Z had issues being a high revving large engine.

Again look no further then the Ferarri 6.2 V12 and see what it took them to get 650-700 crank HP out of a 6.2 NA engine.
View Quote
LS7 had production quality issues. Its issues weren't due to rpm or displacement.  valve seats, inadequate surface treatment of the cheeks on the titanium rods..guides maybe..
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 12:09:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You're saying that a car maker couldn't detune a car from 640 hp to 495 hp.  Why do you think they couldn't do that?

Also consider that GM may have programmed in a dyno mode, so they get what you and I would call "full" power on the dyno, but for normal use it runs de-tuned for (a) safety, (b) reliability, and (c) so they can easily sell upgraded power a couple years from now. Of course they'd never admit that...
View Quote
dyno mode. If that were the case everyone with a Corvette would be unplugging their front wheel speed sensors

If such a mode existed, that would make tunes so much easier...
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I dont doubt that.
Given all the things like you mentioned and just in general how the engine tech/parts/builds put more and more power as time goes on its definitely possible the new gen C8 engine could maybe get to that 100 crank hp mark increase tune alone. Prob be closer to 50-80 but I could entertain 100 crank hp.

The increase on this dyno and Chevy sandbagging it that much? Nope, definitely not believing that.
View Quote
technically possible no problem but I agree GM didn't do that.  I can't explain how the dyno got the numbers it did but we'll find out I'm sure.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top