Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2019 1:19:58 PM EDT
I know the new ACFT has deadlifts for 3x rep max, but how do you select the weight you want to lift?

What if you think you can do 350, but you fail to lift it? Do you try again at 320?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#1]
They don't even have official standards yet and you expect them to have an answer to this?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
We're being told we have to train for the damn thing & will be separated if we fail, but there are no standards for us to train to?
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The key to deadlift is going into it knowing what your max 3-rep weight is.

There are several products on line with good info, including a good handbook from CAC on preparing for the ACFT.

Make no mistake, you need to prepare for this test, not figure it out the day of.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We're being told we have to train for the damn thing & will be separated if we fail, but there are no standards for us to train to?
View Quote
Yeah, lots of folks in the Guard/Reserve are really concerned about this.  Its one thing to be close to a military base where you can use that gym to try for it, but with no clear standards and now needing a lot more equipment, now you have to come out of pocket for either equipment or a gym membership for a place that has what you need.

Its already tough to keep good people, this uncertainty is gonna make it all the harder...
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Didn't I hear Mother Army was going to pick up gym memberships for all Guard & Reserve members?  
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Didn't I hear Mother Army was going to pick up gym memberships for all Guard & Reserve members?  
View Quote
A start would be them actually paying travel vouchers and 1380s for a change...
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They don't even have official standards yet and you expect them to have an answer to this?
View Quote
Yes they do. Sorry you aren’t up to speed yet.

To answer OP’s question:
You have to hit 3 reps on a trap bar. It’s the first event and you get a warm up period before the test starts to get your back warmed up. You have 5 minutes so you can go up or down in weight to get to the weight you want to 3rep max at. If you don’t hit 3 reps, you go down in weight till you get to a weight you CAN rep, and that weight counts for your score.

Black standard isn’t even very high it’s like 180 or something. If you work out, you ought to be able to hit it No problem
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Literally everything in the test is a functional exercise that is trained by simply going to the gym and being in shape (minus the ball throw which is just fucking weird). The black standard is easily doable if you’re in half way good shape and the gold and silver standards (if your a support MOS) are not difficult at all. All in all the test is not that hard to pass but extremely difficult to max.

If you cannot make those standards you really should be separated because you are not in good shape. This is what sets this test apart from that bullshit APFT: this actually measures physical fitness and not your ability to do two mostly worthless exercises and run an arbitrary distance.

As for standards- the initial standards are out and have been published. Sounds like your CoC is fucked up and is failing you.

https://www.army.mil/acft/

At the bottom of each event is a “Read More” button that explains and demonstrates the event and a list of exercises to do to improve that area of functionality. If you don’t have a master fitness instructor I recommend TRX or Military Athlete’s workout programs. MA is really good.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Events

Test manual. Scoring and standards table begins on page 24

Training plan/guide

They also have apps for Android and iOS that have all 3 of the above references in them, and can help you set up a training plan.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#10]
soo,.... what about profiles?
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
soo,.... what about profiles?
View Quote
Apparently they're trying to figure that out now. At first they were going to.tey to chapter everyone that couldn't take the new PT test until they realized what that would do to end strength numbers and overall cost of disability pay out's...

I'm not holding my breath for an alternative PT test as its likely going to take years to figure out.

My perm profile is the result of many years of airborne ops and trying to train for the new PT test is doing a number on my lower back.    I'd happily take a medical discharge, but my current reserve command is more concerned about keeping warm bodies in billets to ensure they're hitting end strength requirements.   I have little faith that the Army will do what's right for folks that the Army broke...
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Army’s new standard is 95% or better deployable. It’s about time. Now they just need to tighten up on the company commanders that pencil whip Defense Ready.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top