Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2021 8:32:26 PM EDT
I’m not much of a Strat player but I’ve had one since I was in high school. It’s been hanging on the wall in my guitar room, largely untouched for about a decade.

Tonight, I decided to see what it sounded like through a certain amp and reached for it. I immediately noticed the strings were very loose.

My first thought was ‘Huh, I don’t remember playing any dropped B on a Strat.

The angle of the bridge and the rattling sound like a box of rocks immediately told me something was wrong.

Apparently, a pot metal trem bridge can just disintegrate on it’s own while hanging on the wall.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a pretty rough looking casting. I would be curious what the metal composition is in that one. Probably some porosity or inclusion in the casting. What brand/model is that guitar?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a pretty rough looking casting. I would be curious what the metal composition is in that one. Probably some porosity or inclusion in the casting. What brand/model is that guitar?
View Quote

Early ‘90s Epiphone S-310. Korean made in the same Samick factory that was making everything else back then.

The crazy thing is the neck and rest of the parts are really nice. It plays like a dream, super smooth fret work, great sounding pickups, Nice Schaller tuners.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Early ‘90s Epiphone S-310. Korean made in the same Samick factory that was making everything else back then.

The crazy thing is the neck and rest of the parts are really nice. It plays like a dream, super smooth fret work, great sounding pickups, Nice Schaller tuners.
View Quote

Time to throw a better trem block on there.

https://www.amazon.com/Musiclily-10-5mm-Tremolo-Squier-Electric/dp/B08LD3177W/ref=asc_df_B08LD3177W/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475746545648&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4960586117812823923&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017139&hvtargid=pla-1016513046202&psc=1
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you detune it before you hung it up?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time to throw a better trem block on there.

https://www.amazon.com/Musiclily-10-5mm-Tremolo-Squier-Electric/dp/B08LD3177W/ref=asc_df_B08LD3177W/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475746545648&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4960586117812823923&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017139&hvtargid=pla-1016513046202&psc=1

Will that one work on my bridge?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.

I’ve got a dozen or so guitars hanging in the room but it’s 68 degrees all year.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#7]
That's crazy.  Wouldn't have thought a Samick would have done that. At least its worth putting a good trem (Vega Trem ) on it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:58:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
1) The metal should withstand that and way more.
2) If he detuned it, he should also relax the truss rod otherwise the neck will be warped.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Will that one work on my bridge?
View Quote

I'm not sure if that will work on your bridge. It says it fits some imports in the description but doesn't list out which ones.

Another site with a steel block option for imports.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Upgrade-Steel-and-Brass-Tremolo-Blocks_c_219.html
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Funny you should post this, because my $100 Starcaster has got a similar cant to the tailpiece.
But the tremolo has not disintegrated from what I can see so far.
I'm finally lined up to tear it all down and do the rebuild, so it won't be a problem.
It will be better than before, for sure.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I rarely play this guitar so I’ll probably just replace the trem block if I can.

Anyone remember those fixed bridge conversion blocks for strat terms that were advertised in guitar magazines 20 years ago? It was a big chunk of steel that replaced the bridge with what looked like a standard hard tail but went all the way through the body and replaced the back cover plate as well.

If I did play it more, I might try to find one of those.

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Ha. The block on my Martin SXT crumbled the same way. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find a replacement. I got a new tremolo but it's wider and doesn't fit the cutout for the pickguard. I tried putting the new block on the old bridge but the holes don't align.

I figure my SXT is from the early 90s.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I had an American strat that fractured into 3 pieces once. It was only a couple years old.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#14]
This is the closest match I can find on a replacement bridge block. There is sufficient room for the strings to pass through.

Will this work or should I keep looking for another solution?

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top