Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2018 2:53:26 AM EDT
Link

Normally I wouldn't be too concerned but apparently the insurance company I'm dealing with is pretty scummy.

If anyone with any knowledge of this sort of thing could take a gander and let me know if it's pretty standard or what it would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 3:07:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Your saying you settled for said amount and won't ever hold them financial responsible for any thing going forward.

That said, you of course can always reopen the can of worms again with a law suit.  But the likelihood of you being successful in the future will be greatly diminished if you sign this document. (Diminished to the point of winning the next Powerball lottery, without buying a ticket)

You would have to show that they did something illegal to you or knew of something and didn't disclose it to you. or worst....just because your "injury" came back to haunt you would not be sufficient to hold them libel later on.

So if you sign, make sure you are sure the injury is settled. We waited six months before we settled on an offer on very minor neck stiffness cause by a rear end accident.

Edit;  Course I'm not a lawyer, never played one on TV....but I am a Platinum member at IHG for staying many a nights at various Holiday Inn affiliated hotels....
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 3:10:19 AM EDT
[#2]
For the most part insurance is just scummy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 4:42:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I've written a few of these releases before. All they are for is to prevent you from bringing another lawsuit based on the accident. No trickery. It is just to make sure the case is completely closed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#5]
If there is a medical claim they usually want the signoff before payout.  They usually settle the vehicle damage claim before the medical sign off. 

I have done it a few times.  Sometimes the language is on the back of the check by the signature line, IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't sign anything without first consulting an attorney.

You would be releasing them from any future liability should you have any physical issues arise in the future, without going to court...which the release might weigh against your position.

Lawyer up.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info guys.

The accident happened over a year ago, very minor, no injuries. The money is just for lost wages.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Your insurance rarely asks for one and is not allowed in some circumstances.

Someone else's insurance that has paid you a claim want to end liability any way they can.
They do not care if the paint job from their 'approved repair shop' flakes off in a month.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you ever shaken hands with someone and called the issue that you were disputing with them done?  That's what the release is. They pay you. You accept payment and agree that the issue is over and done with.

There's nothing hard about it. Either accept the deal or don't. And if you accept it, live with your decision.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't sign anything without first consulting an attorney.

You would be releasing them from any future liability should you have any physical issues arise in the future, without going to court...which the release might weigh against your position.

Lawyer up.
View Quote
Yeah that's the ticket. Hire a lawyer who is going to take half of your eventual settlement and make things last much longer than they might otherwise have lasted. Lawyers have their place but that place is usually smaller than they want you to believe.

Ask yourself this question. Is the cash I'm being offered fair?

If the answer is yes, take it.
If the answer is no, ask for more. If they say no, then think about how long you want this thing to drag out and if it's worth your time and frustration to give someone half of what they might ultimately get you if they are working on contingency. Or better yet, how much do you have to pay them up front to do your legal muscle work for you?

Are the potential two birds in the bush worth more than the bird in your hand?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top