Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
View Quote
This is, of course, the correct answer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good luck finding a foundry to make a 27000 pound cannon barrel, although I imagine the Watervliet Arsenal probably still has the capability.

Insert the I should buy cat meme.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

"Original or replica muzzle loading artillery of 1898 or earlier design."

There are also a few early breechloaders that meet the definition.

Also doesn't matter what scale. Want a full size 300 Pounder (10" bore) Parrott Rifle?
If you got the $$$ (okay $$$$$$$$$$) go for it!

Although it's not something you're going to haul in the bed of your brodozer.

ETA: The ammunition is another matter, however. Making a live, fused exploding shell is considered constructing a DD.

There are limited circumstances where such ammunition is allowed, without submitting forms and paying NFA tax on every individual shell. It's a matter of location, organized shoot on an artillery range.

Solid shot/bolt or inert shell is GTG.

TL,DR: Gun make big boom = good. Shell make big boom = bad.
Good luck finding a foundry to make a 27000 pound cannon barrel, although I imagine the Watervliet Arsenal probably still has the capability.

I want this one, 24 Pounder Iron Siege & Garrisson Gun model of 1845 (Tredegar Iron Works, 1851) . . .

It's only a couple of miles from here, and weighs a svelte 5,750 pounds.
But they would miss it I'm afraid.

Oh well, time to start digging through the scrap.

Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
This is why I make and give these to my hunting and shooting neighbors:

My lower field rifle range (I have two rifle ranges):

My downhill neighbor's shooting table.  And just in case someone is a moron and doesn't get it - this was set up as a gag for my neighbor by his friends and myself - he was out of town that weekend and we wanted to surprise him.  The "leaning tower of concrete blocks" should be a dead giveaway.  I don't have pics of his final location and setup; last time I was there it was dark.

My neighbor to the south concrete shooting table.  About a week after I brought it to him, I heard some big bore booms and decided to pay him a visit.  He was sighting in his .45 caliber BP rifle at +300 yards.  He was very happy with it - both the rifle and the table!

I have some new neighbors building a house +1/2 mile down the road from me.  Come springtime, I'll be making one for them as well.

The more neighbors who shoot, the less chance someone will complain about me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/v8YI8uh.jpg

My downhill neighbor's shooting table.  And just in case someone is a moron and doesn't get it - this was set up as a gag for my neighbor by his friends and myself - he was out of town that weekend and we wanted to surprise him.  The "leaning tower of concrete blocks" should be a dead giveaway.  I don't have pics of his final location and setup; last time I was there it was dark.

https://i.imgur.com/iJLJLCN.jpg

My neighbor to the south concrete shooting table.  About a week after I brought it to him, I heard some big bore booms and decided to pay him a visit.  He was sighting in his .45 caliber BP rifle at +300 yards.  He was very happy with it - both the rifle and the table!

https://i.imgur.com/40Ym27m.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dZtcUsf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zWLchlQ.jpg

I have some new neighbors building a house +1/2 mile down the road from me.  Come springtime, I'll be making one for them as well.

View Quote
Do you happen to have plans laying around for those table?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Or build (is there an echo in here?) . . .

http://www.fototime.com/B8EEDFBDA1CC6D3/orig.jpg

I don't have a Coehorn problem, I can stop any time I want . . .

http://www.fototime.com/898F24081AEED06/orig.jpg
View Quote
That's.  Fucking.  Awesome.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've had the same issue.  Deputies have been out 4 times, and had no issues with my range or backstop.  One did say that some of their officers are not gun guys, and may be dicks, but that I'm completely legal.
View Quote
lot of truth here. Some cops know jack shit about guns, but the one thing all cops hate is the nosy nelly that calls all the time because you farted with the wrong wind direction. Just keep doing your thing
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would be SOOOO pissed if my neighbor was shooting full auto.
View Quote
So would I IF he didn't invite me to shoot
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish you were my neighbor, I have to drive to a membership based club.  Better than public but would be great to walk out the door and get range time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's generally a request, but I'm not leaving till you do.  That way I can note that I was there, I investigated, and I found nothing wrong.  That way when Ms. Moved out to the country for peace and quiet calls again, the call notes will reflect that we've been there before and found nothing wrong.  Then the dispatchers can tell them that there is nothing illegal going on and save me from having to go there again and waste more of my time, your time and our time.
View Quote
What exactly are the laws regarding backstops or berms on private property?

“Not leaving till you do”

Enjoy your overnighter in my driveway.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:11:14 AM EDT
[#11]
time for tannerite. tons and tons of tennerite.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:34:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Half the time, if the LE agency, or supervisor had the brains to triage calls, most of these calls to 911 about shooting neighbors would result in a phone call to the reporting person.  Our dispatch claims they are required to set up a call for anything that someone calls in about...but they work for the LE agency, not the other way around.  Any agency that responds to a call that they know does not need service is wasting their employees time, wasting gas, and missing handling other incidents.

Our dispatch tries to send multiple cops to our calls like this, which is ok if inside town, but not needed if rural.  I typically direct the person to be called to discuss why they are calling us- so hopefully they do not call in the future.  But it seems like I am fighting the tide as nobody else seems to triage these calls as much as I do.

These callers are sometimes the equivelant of the "there is a black guy walking thru our neighborhood" callers.  ie- so what?  We wouldn't respond on that type of call ( although I was dispatched many yearsmago one that exact call- I cancelled it out and said we were not responding.)

For some reason, when it comes to guns, every idiot thinks something is illegal.  People walking there dogs in hunting areas call in shots during duck season, people call about their neighbors, people call because they know it is legal, but they don't think it should be, etc etc.

I once advised a lady that if she called in ever again about the shooting club range noise (that she moved near to) that I would arrest her for misusing 911, as it was totally legal.  She was just an anti gun weirdo who wanted to harass the trap shooters.

Now I have responded on plenty of stupid shooters as well....one dumbass shooting out a car window that I tracked down, morons shooting in the air in town, and one time a guy using a tiny little dirt berm, which had a county road 10 feet behind it (that was NOT OK in my analysis!).  Also some people think that just shooting at the ground, without a real backstop is OK, but that is how you ricochet rounds off the ground and into the neighbor's house...

Most of the time, people need to mind their own damn business.  Move back downtown or where ever you came from.

My advice- if LE are called on you for shooting, be helpful, show them your backstop if requested, and then request they write an informational report or location CAD notation saying that any future calls about "shots heard in the area"'can be disregarded.  Also request that they notify the caller to not call again about it.

After that- if the neighbor keeps calling- and LE show up each time, write a letter to the LE agency directing them to cease contacting you for legal activities, as it is essentially harassment/discouragement at that point.  I would also notify the troublemaker to stop calling in about legal activities as that is also harassing in nature, and once they know it is legal there should be civil suit possibilities if they continue.  Some of these neighbors like to "cop shop" when they do not get the answer they like, so documenting that they were notified is important.

But ultimately- shooting is inherently legal in many areas.  These calls are the equivelant of calling up saying your neighbor is driving up your street, at the speed limit.  So LE agencies need to be trained to ask what is different/hazardous/whatever about the situation before they bother to respond.

Just my two cents.  I shoot on my property some with pistols and suppressed rifles, but try to be cognizant of the neighbors.  I also se the other side with the LE response and try to educate the callers, and if needed, the shooters as well.  But most of my coworkers don't seem to care as much so they don't have the calls handled the same way nearly as often as I do.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:36:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We get these calls all the time.  If you are in the Twp, and the range is safe, that's all we care about.  Show me your backstop and rounds are not zinging off your property and I'll be on my way.
View Quote
why should they even have to show you their backstop?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:38:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:43:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And shoot it full auto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
And shoot it full auto.
So let it be written!  So let it be done!
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:52:21 AM EDT
[#17]
This is why obnoxious city people need to stay in their precious cities. They move to the country and expect literally everyone around them to comply with the directives they set forth in their high pitched nasal whine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:55:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I went thru this due to my f/a toys on my private range.  Neighbor was upset, deputy couldn't do a thing about it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:17:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This.

Sooner or later, the SO will tell your neighbor that what you are doing is legal and not send a deputy out anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just keep doing what you are doing. He will get tired of calling LE, and they will get tired of him calling them.  It will work itself out.
This.

Sooner or later, the SO will tell your neighbor that what you are doing is legal and not send a deputy out anymore.
This.

And they will still vote democrat.

If you placate them or try to be nice.

they will still vote democrat and still want to put you in a camp or have a .gov thug kill you.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:18:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Invite the neighbor who called to come shoot.

Be considerate about when you shoot.

At that point you've done over and above.
View Quote
See my post above.

Fuck liberals.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:35:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:36:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By hkx3:

How do you guys handle this?  I have 4 neighbors within a half mile.  All but one shoots all the time.  Whats expected of this in the future?

Land is out in the county as much as it can be.
View Quote
Same thing I did at the family farm. Made friends with the sheriff and deputies. Showed them parts of my collection. Let them shoot suppressed and explained the laws and regulations regarding NFA items (they don't get a lot of instruction on those unless they are gun people). And invite them over for regular shooting sessions.

Help them maintain a critical skillset while building a solid rapport with local law enforcement. Get to know the individuals. Not the department.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:47:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
View Quote
SPNI
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:59:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Fucking potato gun!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:07:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sometimes the police have to help people find their own best interests.
View Quote
I would let you sit there for months.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:14:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I don’t think my neighbors care to much about shooting.
When Clemson won I somehow though setting off a couple lbs of tannerite was a good idea, you know at about midnight .  That I don’t think they liked and I probally shouldn’t have done it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:22:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Tell the whiner to move back to NY to feel safe lol....

Fucking liberals.....fuck em
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#28]
I've only ever had that happen once. Neighbor called them and insisted that we were shooting into the air and the bullets were coming down on top of his roof
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:46:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is, of course, the correct a
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
This is, of course, the correct a
Like a Bofors.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 5:36:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote
Why would you expect a rational result from someone who has already proven to be irrational?

It's more likely the neighbor starts calling in with more serious (and impossible to prove as lies) complaints if the cops tell them they aren't going out anymore.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In reality, I already drove / walked back to your range to check the sound of gunfire, I don't need permission to do that either.  If I get a complaint of unsafe shooting, I can in fact investigate whether or not there is unsafe shooting.  Driving onto your property is not the same as entering a building.  The game warden of course can check for poaching without warrant any time.  I already posted the applicable sections of law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would let you sit there for months.
In reality, I already drove / walked back to your range to check the sound of gunfire, I don't need permission to do that either.  If I get a complaint of unsafe shooting, I can in fact investigate whether or not there is unsafe shooting.  Driving onto your property is not the same as entering a building.  The game warden of course can check for poaching without warrant any time.  I already posted the applicable sections of law.
You and your “don’t need permission badge” seem particularly...ambitious, when it comes to making sure gun owners are walking the line while out shooting.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
"Shooting a cannon, and a full auto"

S.O. sent out a deputy, and he pulled about 400 feet back into the property on my drive.

I am shooting suppressed when I hear the blips from his siren.

I hop in the SxS and head up there, sure enough there is the cruiser.

Tells me the neighbor (points) has complained that I am shooting a full auto, and some type of cannon.

Yes.  Yes I am.  I point to a 8" barreled FAL and other toys in the SxS

He laughs and says yeah thats probably it.

Tells me if it was his property, he would keep right on having fun.  I am done for the day anyway.

He asks if my range is safe, I show him, all is well.

How do you guys handle this?  I have 4 neighbors within a half mile.  All but one shoots all the time.  Whats expected of this in the future?

Land is out in the county as much as it can be.
View Quote
@hkx3
i may know a guy getting rid of 10000 308 blanks cheap.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Having been on the deputie's end of this before, try to at least be a little respectful of your neighbors.  It's bullshit nonsense and you are within your right, but if you annoy all your neighbors regularly, the township/town/etc will manufacture a way to fuck you.  If enough people complain to the local elected officials they will pull some sort of nonsense like re-survey the land and "find out" that it's not yours.  Plus there's no reason to be a dick just to be a dick to non-problem neighbors.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
View Quote
And a machinegun
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I posted in the 2020 dodge 1 ton can tow 35000 lbs thread... "i don't own 10k lbs of crap, what would i do with the extra 25000lb of towing." well NOW I KNOW>>>
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#38]
I would say that you need to purchase a real cannon at this point
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:02:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You seem overly defensive.  Why create so much drama for a mundane call that the officer is required to go to.  Why not let him just come, see, leave as is usually the case.  Perhaps you can ask Safe1 about his two different neighbors lobbing rounds into his back yard and front door? See, country cops really don't care that you are shooting, or what you are shooting, we simply want to know that you are not putting others at risk while you are shooting.

This has all been explained previously in the thread, but it seems with each bump a new group of paranoids joins in.
View Quote
If you have nothing to hide.....

Here’s the facts that rub some people raw:  if the homeowner doesn’t “voluntarily” let you inspect his range in a safety fishing expedition that’s unrelated to the noise complaint you’ll just rat the guy out to someone that isn’t bothered by the fourth amendment.

Do you see why some people don’t see what you are saying as doing them a favor?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
View Quote
Only reasonable answer.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/v8YI8uh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iJLJLCN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/40Ym27m.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dZtcUsf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zWLchlQ.jpg

@firemedic5586,

Here's the latest Mk II build thread I did on my neighbor to the south's table, it's in the archives.  The previous build threads are in the archives as well:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Third-Mk-II-concrete-shooting-table-is-up-and-running/75-2141177/

And my first Mk I table thread is still active in the Precision Rifles General subforum:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precision-Rifles/My-shooting-bench-project-in-pictures/17-551/

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I will relate an event that happened at one of our shoots.  Many here may recall Bulletfest.  Campybob would sometimes put on a minifest for the locals some time later in the year.  We would hold this at the BF secondary location for those who are familiar.  One year, a neighbor was upset by the large volume of full auto fire.  He called the cops and ATF out of Youngstown.  They came out to investigate as they are required to do when someone calls.  The Deputy held back at the road, two ATF guys with M-16A1s walked back to the firing line.  They identified themselves, determined that nothing was wrong, were invited to stay, shoot with us, have some lunch.  They declined and left because they had been called in on a Saturday and had other things to do.  All in all, 15 minutes of time plus their two hours of getting called, getting their stuff together and driving out to Blacks, all to check a couple of stamps and determine nothing was wrong.  No one gave them a hard time and everyone realized they were just doing their jobs.

Now, had people gotten shitty with them, I suppose they could have taken a few hours to inspect everything.  As it turned out, everyone was easy going with them and no one gave off the creepy vibe.  I'm sure they got calls about subsequent events, but never saw any need to return.  Why create problems where none are needed.
View Quote
Remember everyone, as long as you don't question the "show me your papers" mindset, all will be well. It's totally not like the government ever abuses their power or anything.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How does the 4th ammendment apply to outdoor spaces?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have nothing to hide.....

Here’s the facts that rub some people raw:  if the homeowner doesn’t “voluntarily” let you inspect his range in a safety fishing expedition that’s unrelated to the noise complaint you’ll just rat the guy out to someone that isn’t bothered by the fourth amendment.

Do you see why some people don’t see what you are saying as doing them a favor?
How does the 4th ammendment apply to outdoor spaces?
That outdoor space is mine and as a responsible gun owner/shooter I don’t need deputy dolittle snooping around uninvited to give my range his pass/fail opinion. I’m not being defensive, I just find it odd how cavalier you are about trespassing under the guise of protecting and serving.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I think you should look up the legal ( not your personal ) definition of Trespassing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That outdoor space is mine and as a responsible gun owner/shooter I don’t need deputy dolittle snooping around uninvited to give my range his pass/fail opinion. I’m not being defensive, I just find it odd how cavalier you are about trespassing under the guise of protecting and serving.
I think you should look up the legal ( not your personal ) definition of Trespassing.
I will, right after I pick up this can.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I will relate an event that happened at one of our shoots.  Many here may recall Bulletfest.  Campybob would sometimes put on a minifest for the locals some time later in the year.  We would hold this at the BF secondary location for those who are familiar.  One year, a neighbor was upset by the large volume of full auto fire.  He called the cops and ATF out of Youngstown.  They came out to investigate as they are required to do when someone calls.  The Deputy held back at the road, two ATF guys with M-16A1s walked back to the firing line.  They identified themselves, determined that nothing was wrong, were invited to stay, shoot with us, have some lunch.  They declined and left because they had been called in on a Saturday and had other things to do.  All in all, 15 minutes of time plus their two hours of getting called, getting their stuff together and driving out to Blacks, all to check a couple of stamps and determine nothing was wrong.  No one gave them a hard time and everyone realized they were just doing their jobs.

Now, had people gotten shitty with them, I suppose they could have taken a few hours to inspect everything.  As it turned out, everyone was easy going with them and no one gave off the creepy vibe.  I'm sure they got calls about subsequent events, but never saw any need to return.  Why create problems where none are needed.
View Quote
So if I call you for a “man wearing a suit” you are required to investigate and will call in your haberdashery SME on overtime?
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top