Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2022 8:19:02 PM EDT
I want to start working out. We have a cheap bench press setup cheap stationary bike and a few dumbbells. I have started to walk three miles each night. Tonight will be the second night. Going to keep it up. But what can I do for free weights. Is there a program or plan I can follow that’s simple and gives me somewhere to start. I’m new to all this.

Long term plan is to buy a new rack and bench but that will have to wait for me to save up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
What are your goals? What weight amounts are the dumbbells?

Awesome first steps! Keep up the walking. I went from 240 to 185 just by walking 4 miles a night and doing body weight stuff, so it’s definitely attainable, and doesn’t require Rogue everything.

Having cheap tools isn’t a bad thing at all if it’s something work with and isn’t a safety concern.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Having cheap tools isn’t a bad thing at all if it’s something work with and isn’t a safety concern.
View Quote

I still have the bench and weights my dad bought me when I was teen and joined the wrestling team.  That was 40 years ago.  A lot of it is rusty.  I've added more plates and dumbbells over the years.  Don't pay retail, I got a pair of 30 pound dumbbells for $10 at Goodwill.  You can do good work with dumbbells.  Curls, presses, lunges, flys, rows, etc.  As an older individual I like lighter weights but lots of reps; makes functional muscle and endurance while avoiding injury.  Just watch your form, focus on the muscle/s you're working, and control the weights.  You start flinging things around and you'll hurt yourself.  I promise, if you stick with it for 30 days you'll see and feel the progress and want to continue.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What are your goals? What weight amounts are the dumbbells?

Awesome first steps! Keep up the walking. I went from 240 to 185 just by walking 4 miles a night and doing body weight stuff, so it’s definitely attainable, and doesn’t require Rogue everything.

View Quote

Don’t really have goals. I’m tired of being out of shape and always tired. Just feel groggy and tired all the time. I don’t work as hard as I used to so I’m not in shape anymore. I’m 6’4” and just over 200lbs last time I was weighed. Not fat but I’ve got a gut. Would like to build some muscle but I’m not looking to be jacked. Walked three miles again last night then. I did three sets of. Push ups to failure. Sit ups to failure and bench press to failure. Only had 50 lbs on the bar but my arms are shot today. I think the dumbbells are 15 lbs. all the work out stuff is my wives. So I plan to slowly add a bunch more to it and build us a nice gym in my shop.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Starting strength.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I downloaded the fitbod app and I am going to start with that until I can get more equipment and have some more experience and strength. So we will see how it goes. Gonna start it this afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Took about 52 mins to walk/jog three miles today. Then I did a workout from the fitbod app. Don't have much weight so I started where it said. Parts were easy other parts started wearing after some reps. Need to go get some 25lb dumbbells tonight. I also already ordered a 35 lb kettlebell. Weight bench I have is my wives and it's a small cheap one from academy with a short bar and only 2 25 lb 2 15lb 2 5lb weights. It's okay for now but I'm saving for a squat rack and nice bench.

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Serious question... how fat are you?

If you want strength you'll need room to gain weight and unless you have a perfect diet it will be a decent amount.  If you need to lose weight do that first then once you are lean start working on those gains.

Most of the effort you will put into your goals is going to be in the diet area. That's the hard part. Ironically the actual resistance training and lifting is relatively fun and easy.

1)get the food and calorie needs figured out
2) cut weight to get the margin for later gains when you bulk
3) get on a simple cutting workout while you lose weight and a nice simple 5x5 hypertrophy workout when you're ready to up the protein and calories to gain
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
First thing is just getting in the habit of working out and making it routine.  It has to be something you look forward to or you'll just blow it off after two weeks and never do it again.

You've got some basic equipment, so, what did you like to do as a kid or as a teen?  Any sports or track?

When I wanted to get back in shape I had 15lbs dumbbells and bought a heavy bag because I had a martial arts background.  Found a home DB routine off Muscle & Fitness and worked the bag after.  

After a month, wanted to get stronger, so bought a barbell set, a rack and Starting Strength.  Couple months later, found  I really liked the Olympic lifts.  Bought a proper bar with some bumpers and built a platform.  That was 12 years ago.  Still look forward to getting home and lifting.

So, what will kick start you?  Search home dumbbell routines and find one you think you'll like.  Or download a CrossFit app and sort just for DB workouts and get surprised every session.

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Serious question... how fat are you?

If you want strength you'll need room to gain weight and unless you have a perfect diet it will be a decent amount.  If you need to lose weight do that first then once you are lean start working on those gains.

Most of the effort you will put into your goals is going to be in the diet area. That's the hard part. Ironically the actual resistance training and lifting is relatively fun and easy.

1)get the food and calorie needs figured out
2) cut weight to get the margin for later gains when you bulk
3) get on a simple cutting workout while you lose weight and a nice simple 5x5 hypertrophy workout when you're ready to up the protein and calories to gain
View Quote

I'm not really fat. I think im around 215lbs and I am 6'4" just have a small gut. I am mostly wanting to workout to feel better and be in shape. I am changing my diet and cutting out all the fast food and sodas and just trying to eat better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top