Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2022 3:01:51 PM EDT
I've been run through the mill in recent years and ended up even worse out of shape than usual.   I've been in  lymphoma remission about a year now.  However, the aftermath of chemo has left me in much worse physical condition than I hoped.  I've honestly not focused on my fitness until now for family emergency reasons but now need a basic starter program for a 55+ year old that has been knocked down physically and has put on too way too much weight (and has psoriatic arthritis) to allow for running.  A gym membership is out because cancer has put me years behind financially and I have a daughter in college.  On the plus side, I've got really good access to  the outdoors for walking and can get a limited amount of free weights.

Initial Goals:
1.  Build hand/wrist strength back.
2.  Improve arm strength.
3.  Improve range of motion for knees and shoulders.
4.  Build walking/standing endurance.

I'm not super focused on weight loss as the principle goal at first.  I'm hoping to get that as a byproduct but do plan on a generally better diet.

Any suggestions?  Example, walk each week for X and do the following Y exercises for Z times a week.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been run through the mill in recent years and ended up even worse out of shape than usual.   I've been in  lymphoma remission about a year now.  However, the aftermath of chemo has left me in much worse physical condition than I hoped.  I've honestly not focused on my fitness until now for family emergency reasons but now need a basic starter program for a 55+ year old that has been knocked down physically and has put on too way too much weight (and has psoriatic arthritis) to allow for running.  A gym membership is out because cancer has put me years behind financially and I have a daughter in college.  On the plus side, I've got really good access to  the outdoors for walking and can get a limited amount of free weights.

Initial Goals:
1.  Build hand/wrist strength back.
2.  Improve arm strength.
3.  Improve range of motion for knees and shoulders.
4.  Build walking/standing endurance.

I'm not super focused on weight loss as the principle goal at first.  I'm hoping to get that as a byproduct but do plan on a generally better diet.

Any suggestions?  Example, walk each week for X and do the following Y exercises for Z times a week.
View Quote

As a four-time cancer survivor that's been radiated and poisoned....

I play the drums semiprofessionally so that was part of my physical/mental rehab. Probably not an option for you, but if you used to play a guitar or something in the past, consider taking it up again. That will work your brain and your fingers/hands/arms. Don't overlook the chemo mental fog.

I also walked on a treadmill and walked the dog. That was almost an everyday occurrence for a while and wasn't particularly long or far. I tended to wear wrist weights or hold small weights while on the treadmill, but not always. The only other thing I did was some free weights of 5/10/20 lbs and just did 10-20 reps of whatever and then a 30-60 second rest, repeat until tired (but not hurting).

If you haven't examined your diet yet for unnecessary carbs/sugars, do it.

In the end, you can do almost anything regularly for physical activity and you'll be far ahead of doing nothing. Don't over think it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top