Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 3/22/2021 6:39:14 AM EDT
I've never had an inside dog before.
We got a GSD (short hair) a few weeks ago. He's an awesome pup but he smells. When we got him home I bathed him good with espree tea tree and aloe shampoo.
It took some time to get a vet appt for his shots and stuff. We needed all that done before we could take him to a groomer.
So once we got all that done we took him to the groomer. They did a decent job, not great but decent. He smelled good. That was 3-12-21.
When we bring him in from bathroom breaks we use those dog whipes and clean him up. But he has that dog odor.
What can I do to square him away? I read the thread about bathing them to much was bad for their skin but my wife has customers come in our house so it can't stink.
Is there an ozone thing for pet odors?
I'm open to any suggestions.
TLDR- Please help me help my pup not be stinky. Thank ya'll in advance.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 6:40:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File
The pup, Winston.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you checked his anal glands? Tends to be a smell you can’t wash off.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]
A dog in good health and a proper diet doesn't tend to have stinky fur or skin unless it gets into something unless it's a breed with oily fur like a lab. I haven't given my cat cur a bath in literally YEARS and she smells like a puppy except for frito feet which is common in all dogs. She gets brushed every day or two, her feet wiped down if she is out in the wet, her ears checked and cleaned if needed but past that........

Are you brushing your pup down on a regular basis? Is he fixed? Where does he tend to spend his time outdoors? Is he rolling in ''unsavory' things that make him stink? [now that is something all my dogs have done at one time or another, yech!]
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't fix the dog before it is at least 2 years old and it has nothing to do with order,
what are you feeding the dog? Check out the natural dog diet.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Cute Pup! We have a Golden with no odor of any kind and a GSD that has a musky odor his whole life. He is 5 now. We have been unable to eliminate his musky odor. When people are coming over we use Pawfume Premium Grooming Spray on him. He was naturally musky his whole life. Not anal gland smell...thats a different odor...just mildly musky like a ferret
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#6]
OP, you can try changing his diet, and check his glands.  Some dogs stink, especially oily dogs like my lab.  Over bathing him might be harmful.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know what that means but no I haven't checked that, I just wipe his behind with pet whipes when he poops. Not being a smart ass I just dont know what you mean.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#8]
He gets brushed everyday. He does want to dick around outside and eat eat dirt and stuff but I don't think it's that. He smells like the crap filled cage we got him out of.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#9]
We kinda subscribe to the Ritland deal. He says don't fix them as well. Point taken.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cute Pup! We have a Golden with no odor of any kind and a GSD that has a musky odor his whole life. He is 5 now. We have been unable to eliminate his musky odor. When people are coming over we use Pawfume Premium Grooming Spray on him. He was naturally musky his whole life. Not anal gland smell...thats a different odor...just mildly musky like a ferret
View Quote
Thats it! Musky! I couldn't come up with the word.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry I didn't quote everybody. Been a long night at work. Thank ya'll much for all the help. If anybody comes up with something else I'd love to hear it. I've got to get ahead of this.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sorry I didn't quote everybody. Been a long night at work. Thank ya'll much for all the help. If anybody comes up with something else I'd love to hear it. I've got to get ahead of this.
View Quote

Like I said with my GSD there was no getting a head with it,,,it is just his natural odor...has been his whole life the Pawfume stuff works great if you know when people are coming over...we don't spray him that often with it....also wait till his adult coat comes in...I don't know another breed that sheds as much as German Shedders
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#13]
My GSD mix, gets Rachel Ray's Chicken flavor dog food.
He smells OK.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#14]
OP.

A healthy GSD wont have a stink, unless they get into something.

Eating dirt, is an indicator of something out of balance in the diet, or another problem in the digestive tract.

Consider a diet change to a meat based 4 star kibble with added mineral supplements, to shotgun address the possible deficiency.

Have a chat with the Vet, about fecal evaluation for possible dietary issues, the dirt eating, the musky funk.
Either the minerals aren't there in the diet, or they aren't being absorbed and the dirt is making it up/balancing stomach PH.
Something is goofy, and the Vet can help.

GSD's aren't oily/musky dogs. Unless there is a problem.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:38:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Puppy could have allergies. Grass, dust, food, etc will cause them to have a smell. I have bostons but one of them stinks if she is outside a lot even with her allergy meds. She needs baths a lot.

If your puppy scratches or licks paws a lot it could be some allergy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:39:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP.

A healthy GSD wont have a stink, unless they get into something.

Eating dirt, is an indicator of something out of balance in the diet, or another problem in the digestive tract.

Consider a diet change to a meat based 4 star kibble with added mineral supplements, to shotgun address the possible deficiency.

Have a chat with the Vet, about fecal evaluation for possible dietary issues, the dirt eating, the musky funk.
Either the minerals aren't there in the diet, or they aren't being absorbed and the dirt is making it up/balancing stomach PH.
Something is goofy, and the Vet can help.

GSD's aren't oily/musky dogs. Unless there is a problem.

View Quote
Yep, this.  

What are you feeding him?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry ya'll. I hadn't checked in Pets for awhile.
The smell got better. We feed Blue Buffalo Chicken and rice for puppies.
Winston has been to the vet twice now. Up to date on shots and fecal exam looked good.
Right now he's in a 1 month board/train deal with an awesome local trainer. Wife and I tried to use the TeamPet online training course but we didn't have much success.
It sux that he's not home, we miss him alot. Thanks for all the replies.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top