Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2020 8:03:59 PM EDT
I've got a late 90's Gary Fisher Taikai 26" Mountain bike.
It hasn't seen a lot of miles, but with the 'rona, I've been biking with my daughter.
We've put on about 150 miles so far this summer, and that's probably the bulk of the miles this bike has seen.

Last week, my chain slipped between the 2 largest chain rings. I cleared the jam and didn't think much of it.
Tonight, I noticed that the middle chain ring is bent.

It's a 5 bolt crank set. I believe the BCD is 74 mm. I took two measurements, center of the bolt to the center of the crank, 37mm. Multiplied by 2, that's 74mm.
And center of bolt to center of bolt on the arms, 43.5mm. Multiplied by 1.699 that works out to 74mm.

I couldn't find a stamp on the broken chain ring, counting teeth, I came up with 34. The large chain ring is marked 42, and the small is 24.

I found a Sugino crankset on ebay that's 42/34/24. Not my auction.
And some googling says I'm not crazy.
It also says that this is an odd size.

I found a 32t on Amazon.
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

I think it should fit. Will it?
Is there anything else I should check?
Are there any alternatives to this ring?
Is there any thing I'm missing?

I want to get on top of fixing it. I can't take time away from work to try to take it in to a shop. I'm comfortable working on bikes, I just don't know all of the gear.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got a late 90's Gary Fisher Taikai 26" Mountain bike.
It hasn't seen a lot of miles, but with the 'rona, I've been biking with my daughter.
We've put on about 150 miles so far this summer, and that's probably the bulk of the miles this bike has seen.

Last week, my chain slipped between the 2 largest chain rings. I cleared the jam and didn't think much of it.
Tonight, I noticed that the middle chain ring is bent.

It's a 5 bolt crank set. I believe the BCD is 74 mm. I took two measurements, center of the bolt to the center of the crank, 37mm. Multiplied by 2, that's 74mm.
And center of bolt to center of bolt on the arms, 43.5mm. Multiplied by 1.699 that works out to 74mm.

I couldn't find a stamp on the broken chain ring, counting teeth, I came up with 34. The large chain ring is marked 42, and the small is 24.

I found a Sugino crankset on ebay that's 42/34/24. Not my auction.
And some googling says I'm not crazy.
It also says that this is an odd size.

I found a 32t on Amazon.
www.amazon.com/dp/B00TJAWXX4

I think it should fit. Will it?
Is there anything else I should check?
Are there any alternatives to this ring?
Is there any thing I'm missing?

I want to get on top of fixing it. I can't take time away from work to try to take it in to a shop. I'm comfortable working on bikes, I just don't know all of the gear.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32913/20200630_181557_jpg-1484232.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32913/20200630_181732_jpg-1484233.JPG
View Quote

Buy a new crankset!
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Buy a new crankset!
View Quote

I was concerned about replacing the bottom bracket.
But it looks like I just need a square taper crankset.
And a 22mm crank puller.
Any recommendation on a crankset?
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a look here for a 22-32-42.

Here
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 5:17:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Take a look here for a 22-32-42.

Here
View Quote

Ordered, Thank You.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The chainrings on my GF Hifi are pretty worn out so I’m using it as an excuse to go to 1x9. I just ordered a 32T narrow wide ring and a crank puller from Amazon. RocRide 104 BCD with new bolts for $19. Ive been eyeballing new 9 speed cassettes too, might be ordering an 11-42t
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Success!
Eventually....
Ordered a new crankset, Park Tool crank puller, and Park Tool bottom bracket tool.
Got the crankeset and puller on the 5th.
Everything went smooth until I learned that my spindle was too short.
The crankset I went with, not my first choice, but it was available and not unreasonably priced, needed a longer spindle.
The longest one available at that.
This is what I was concerned about and why I only wanted to change the ring.
So, ordered a new bottom bracket. Slim pickings again, I got one that was advertised as an unused take off. It looked like they said, brand new, no packaging.
I got the new BB on Friday, but by Saturday I still hadn't received my BB tool. Tracking showed it left Wisconsin on the 3rd. so I bit the bullet and ordered a cheap one off of Amazon on Saturday. Came today.
Pulled everything apart no problem. Added a little grease, screwed everything back together and off I want.
With the wider spindle/crankset, I had expected to need to adjust my derailer outboard a bit, but it's perfectly lined up with the new big ring. Ironically, I'm going to have to adjust it a bit to get into granny gear. But by time Amazon came, I was running out of time for the evening, and I don't use the gear anyway. So I might get to it this week, some time.
The other weird thing is that my rear derailer doesn't seem to line up with the index marks on the shifter anymore, so I may have to play with that.
I can shift fine, it just needs some tweaking.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The chainrings on my GF Hifi are pretty worn out so I’m using it as an excuse to go to 1x9. I just ordered a 32T narrow wide ring and a crank puller from Amazon. RocRide 104 BCD with new bolts for $19. Ive been eyeballing new 9 speed cassettes too, might be ordering an 11-42t
View Quote

I thought about doing that with this bike. But I was afraid it would spiral out of control.
Then I realized my bike has studs for the cables and would look odd if I pulled off the front derailer.
Maybe my next bike.
I might have to treat myself to something newer when things calm down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top