Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2022 12:18:22 PM EDT

I've tried my hand at making crab cakes.  Turned out OK but the remoulade sauce has been very mediocre IMO.

The recipes I tried were found online and consist of mayo, a dash of lemon juice, and spices more or less.  (paprika, cayan, hot sauce, etc.)

It turns out thick and tangy tasting.  Not creamy with a spicy bite like I've had even in restaurants that were far from top notch.  So what am I doing wrong here?
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Restaurant ones probably have a little more oil in them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Add horseradish to the mix. I've found that the wasabi paste you can get at the store is really quite perfect for this because it's been so finely blended that it mixes well and the chief ingredient is actually horseradish. If you use regular fresh grated horseradish you will want to mash the living fuck out of it in a mortar and pestle until it's essentially a paste. Horseradish is where the full spicy wonderfulness of remoulade comes from. All the other shit you put in it is just to tweak the HR & mayo flavor with more complex aromatics. If you're not adding a good pungent horseradish to it you're more or less making miracle whip. Also, don't use shit fucking yellow French's hot dog mustard. Use a proper imported mustard from France or England. They're on another level of intensity so use sparingly until you get your sea legs.

ETA: Some recipes I've seen include a tiny bit of anchovy. I would avoid that unless you really like anchovies and even if you do, start small and add because you can never deaden the flavor once it's gotten too intense.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you guys.  A couple good tips I will give them a try!
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Try adding scallion, garlic, parsley, green onion if you didn't. Your OP sounds like you only added dry spices. Make sure to chop it very fine. As above, add horseradish and some decent dijon.

I like to use a little Chipotle Tabasco. I won't use any of the other Tabasco. IMO the Chipotle is the only one that doesn't have an excessive vinegar flavor. Adjust to your liking.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Kew pie mayo mixed with a generous squeeze of sriracha and a generous squeeze of sweet chili sauce.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top