Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2022 12:02:27 PM EDT
I’m looking for recommendations for a helicopter helmet.  I work air medical, so a helmet is required by policy (can’t just fly with a headset).  The ones provided to us are used and abused, and I want something a lot more comfortable.  

Requirements:
Must have a night vision mount
Active noise reduction
Must be black or white
Preferably with dual visors

I’ve been looking at the Gentex Alpha Eagle, I hear great things about it.  I’ve also heard the Paraclete helmets are nice.  Will not buy an HPH, we have those and they got wrecked way too quickly.

Anybody have any recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Cant go wrong with one of these

Their Tactical Helmets are outstanding and you'll likely qualify for discounts too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#4]
If you asked this question in that most wretched hive of scum and villainy, the Facebook Helicopter Pilot Network (HPN--almost 23,000 members), and you sort through the bullshit, you'll find it breaks down almost evenly between the Alpha Eagle, the Gallet LH250, and Evo 252, with maybe a slight edge to the Alpha Eagle.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/895536370463801/search/?q=helmet

After that then people start arguing about Lightspeed, Bose or CEP audio in the helmet.

Are you in the back or in the front, and are you using NVGs? I suspect those answers might make a difference as well.

Disclaimer: no helmet, I don't fly in the big leagues, I fly in the small leagues where helmet wear would be considered "weird"

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you asked this question in that most wretched hive of scum and villainy, the Facebook Helicopter Pilot Network (HPN--almost 23,000 members), and you sort through the bullshit, you'll find it breaks down almost evenly between the Alpha Eagle, the Gallet LH250, and Evo 252, with maybe a slight edge to the Alpha Eagle.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/895536370463801/search/?q=helmet

After that then people start arguing about Lightspeed, Bose or CEP audio in the helmet.

Are you in the back or in the front, and are you using NVGs? I suspect those answers might make a difference as well.

Disclaimer: no helmet, I don't fly in the big leagues, I fly in the small leagues where helmet wear would be considered "weird"

View Quote

In the back.  We are required to wear at least the battery pack and mount during operations at night with the goggles readily available.

I was leaning towards the Eagle, but after talking to Gibson and Barnes, that is only available with lightspeed or their in house ANR.  My dad has owned several light speed headsets, and from his experience, their quality has gone way down.  While cheaper, I don’t know how I feel about the in house ANR system, as it runs on a 9V battery, and those are less readily available than AAs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a Bose installation if at all possible. In your role CEPs will likely be too much of a PITA.

Also, look at the Gallet "talk through" system. It's designed expressly for your role.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#7]
My son wears an Anvis 6 when he does ag work in a R44. He bought the Non-NVG unit because he doesn't need NODS to pollinate corn and spray beans, but it does come in a NVG version.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I wore a MSA Gallet 250 for about 10 yrs......was very happy with the fit over the Gentex SPH-5's the company provided.  Never tried the Alpha Eagle.

That helmet is 17 yrs old now, so there is surely some improvements.  I liked the spring-loaded visors.  The chin strap sucked and had to be replaced, but helicopterhelmet.com had a better replacement one.  Only other thing, get the hard mount for the NVG's battery pack vs. velcro.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get a Bose installation if at all possible. In your role CEPs will likely be too much of a PITA.

Also, look at the Gallet "talk through" system. It's designed expressly for your role.
View Quote

We currently have Bose in our provided helmets.  I like Bose over Lightspeed, but the problem with Bose is that putting them in a helmet voids the warranty.  Bose states that they were not designed for that, and they have to be modified to do so.  Lightspeed has a helmet specific model, but I’ve heard their quality has taken a dive in recent years.

I’m very interested in the talk through system.  I don’t know anyone who’s used them to give a real world review, and there only seems to be one company that makes them, so I’m a little wary about spending hundreds on a system like that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:...the problem with Bose is that putting them in a helmet voids the warranty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:...the problem with Bose is that putting them in a helmet voids the warranty.
Worth the risk, IMHO.

I’m very interested in the talk through system.  I don’t know anyone who’s used them to give a real world review, and there only seems to be one company that makes them, so I’m a little wary about spending hundreds on a system like that.
I pointed you at the best on-line resource I know of: the Helicopter Pilot Network group on Facebook. 23,000 members. Even if only 10% of the members are actual, working helicopter pilots that's a huge resource. I recommend you ask your question over there.

FB also has a couple of more focused EMS helicopter groups but I'm not a member of those, not being a HEMS pilot. You might also check there. It's probably worth the effort given the cost of any helmet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@Monkey_Wrench
View Quote
Day late and a dollar short - my favorite by far is my HGU56.

I do TFO and crew chief duties on UH1s and AStars. While they are not the smallest, with an Oregon Aero Zetaliner and gel pads and hush kit, it's unbelievably comfortable.
I don't care for ANR, so I just have normal comms in it.

Check eBay, or as suggested Flighthelmet.com.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have to gut a Bose headset to install in a helmet, no warranty.   Lightspeed makes a comm system specifically for helmets, it's what I'm getting installed in mine right now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I do TFO and crew chief duties on UH1s and AStars. While they are not the smallest, with an Oregon Aero Zetaliner and gel pads and hush kit, it's unbelievably comfortable.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Monkey_Wrench

I have a couple of new HGU56's if you want to go that route. CEP's installed. I really don't like the CEPS talk through, breaks alot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’m looking for recommendations for a helicopter helmet.  I work air medical, so a helmet is required by policy (can’t just fly with a headset).  The ones provided to us are used and abused, and I want something a lot more comfortable.  

Requirements:
Must have a night vision mount
Active noise reduction
Must be black or white
Preferably with dual visors

I’ve been looking at the Gentex Alpha Eagle, I hear great things about it.  I’ve also heard the Paraclete helmets are nice.  Will not buy an HPH, we have those and they got wrecked way too quickly.

Anybody have any recommendations?
View Quote

I used a Gentex SPH5 with OergonAero ear cups and liner for my entire flight career.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top