Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2021 3:22:11 PM EDT
https://angelsautomartormond.com/inventory/41106/view/1470/Ormond%20Beach-FL/2004-Chevrolet-Silverado%202500

I'm looking for a truck to start a business with and need something that can potentially tow a dump trailer.  I came across this 2500 and the price is good but I always assume there's something shady going on with used vehicles.

8.1 is a gas guzzler for sure but truck prices are so wacky these days.  Appreciate any advice/comments.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
9 mpg empty or full.

Changing the crank sensor is a bitch.

Price looks okay.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
8.1 trucks are almost as highly sought after as Duramax rigs.  Mileage is only slightly worse than the 6.0 gasser and they have a bunch more torque.  They also seem to have nearly the longevity of a diesel.  Welding shop I worked for had an 8.1 crew cab long box with a utility box loaded with welder and gear that tipped the scales an nearly 12k lbs.  It was run hard and had 225k on it when I drove it and it ran great.  It felt very comparable to my 6.0 Chevy welding truck that was 8k lbs.  I still see that truck running around and I bet it has close to 300k on it now.

That truck would sell for close to double that price here.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Solid trucks, it should serve you well. Low enough mileage but check all front end components. The other thing that Gen is know for is fuel pumps. They usually last over 100k though.

If 4WD it may need the transfer case pump update.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
9 mpg empty or full.

Changing the crank sensor is a bitch.

Price looks okay.
View Quote
I can verify this.  Mad fucking torque!

Trans will break, I seen't it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, I'm going to look at it tomorrow.  I kinda wish it had the regular mirrors but I can deal with these.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#7]
It looks like a great deal.   You might have a little front end work depending on how it was used,  but that the same for all those.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Solid trucks, it should serve you well. Low enough mileage but check all front end components. The other thing that Gen is know for is fuel pumps. They usually last over 100k though.

If 4WD it may need the transfer case pump update.
View Quote

That generation the fuel pump should be considered a consumable that gets replaced every 100k miles.  The tell tale sign that it is failing is erratic fuel gauge readings with 1/4 tank or less and 3/4 tank or more.  You can drop the tank but the easier way is to pull the bed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Have to be careful on the early ones, there is a year or two before the crank sensor was redesigned and they simply don't exist.

The last one I bought was from a dealer in California circa 2011-2012 and there were only 13 available in the country and no aftermarket sensors existed.

Dealer in California was hording them from other dealers and marking them up 3x the normal price.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Lol, those mirrors!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That generation the fuel pump should be considered a consumable that gets replaced every 100k miles.  The tell tale sign that it is failing is erratic fuel gauge readings with 1/4 tank or less and 3/4 tank or more.  You can drop the tank but the easier way is to pull the bed.
View Quote

A couple weeks ago I changed mine by pulling the bed. That pump gave zero signs it was going to fail until it’s last 1/4 mile. At least that last 1/4 was pulling into work and I have AAA so I kind of lucked out.

The zero symptoms made me think it wasn’t the pump and was actually bad gas because I had filled the tank about seven miles before going tits up.

Once the bed was off and I ran all the tests the new pump got ordered. The hardest part was trying to get the lock ring on. That was a bitch.

It’s so nice to not live in the rust belt anymore.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Only complaint I know of the 8.1 is it sips oil. Just keep a good watch of the dipstick and add as needed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#13]
The 8.1 is the best non-diesel pulling rig GM has offered. The 496 being married to the Allison, it’s damn near indestructible. Will pull a house. Consumes oil usually and normally. Also they have low pressure oil system, so don't be scared/alarmed when you see 20psi oil pressure warm, at idle. As long as it’s 40’ish cold, and jumps to 40+ with the touch of the throttle warm, it’s normal. My ’03 currently has 183k and still performs like new. 13mpg highway. 9/10 around town. 8-ish when pulling fully loaded 26’ enclosed. Pulling power is just under the level of an ’04 F350 6.0 that I owned for a couple of years, and worlds above the two 6.0 Silverado’s that I have as well. I hope to never have to own a different truck.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Here’s mine.  85,000 miles and still going strong.  Pretty decent truck considering it’s 20 years old.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks, I'm going to look at it tomorrow.  I kinda wish it had the regular mirrors but I can deal with these.
View Quote

Could be a lot of hard towing miles on that truck.

You can probably get regular mirrors relatively cheap, remove those, & plug the holes pretty easily.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You can probably get regular mirrors relatively cheap, remove those, & plug the holes pretty easily.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Redneck mods like that always make me wonder about the overall maintenance the truck saw. I assume people who do things like that treat the truck like it’s disposable.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys, I checked it out but I'm going to pass on it and look for something cleaner even if it costs a bit more.  I'm going to look into some pre-owned dump trucks like a Isuzu NPR which would save me a lot of time.  I know, I'm all over the place here... just trying to figure things out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, I checked it out but I'm going to pass on it and look for something cleaner even if it costs a bit more.  I'm going to look into some pre-owned dump trucks like a Isuzu NPR which would save me a lot of time.  I know, I'm all over the place here... just trying to figure things out.
View Quote
The diesel versions of those izuzu trucks are for sure the way to go. The gas ones will chew through brakes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I know a guy that had a 07ish 2500 with a 8.1,he claimed it burnt as much oil as it did gas.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#20]
You really don’t need the biggest engine to tow a dump trailer.
I’d be looking for the best valued 3/4 or 1 ton. Most anything with a dump trailer involved is going to be mostly local type work and being able to maintain 80 on the highway really isn’t important. Traffic during the work day is usually quite a bit calmer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You really don’t need the biggest engine to tow a dump trailer.
I’d be looking for the best valued 3/4 or 1 ton. Most anything with a dump trailer involved is going to be mostly local type work and being able to maintain 80 on the highway really isn’t important. Traffic during the work day is usually quite a bit calmer.
View Quote

Agreed, I'm looking for a Tundra at the moment.  I'm a bit wary about buying a dump trailer and a pickup vs. just going for a Isuzu NPR dump truck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top