Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2021 8:09:15 PM EDT
Rebuilding the oldest's machine that Fatalwishes built her when she was a teenager.  Yeah, I'm a little behind the curve.  She does have a laptop.

Been going to AllTex and they've been out of everything, so I ordered the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 65W AM4 from Amazon, $10 cheaper than NewEgg.

Not looking for anything fancy, she's not a hardcore gamer, and just dropped $1k on her sister's microblading class.

Looking at this:  www.ama  LINK BROKEN TO PREVENT DATA HARVESTING  zon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-A320M-S2H-MicroATX-Realtek-Motherboard/dp/B079NYQQJJ/

GIGABYTE GA-A320M-S2H, $55.  I see it's got mixed reviews, mostly regarding early BIOS & poor packaging.  If it's DOA, I'll send it back & go to NewEgg, I suppose.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are already committed to a MircroATX case, I think it would work just fine.  The limitations I see are just the limited number of PCIE slotsslot once a graphics card goes in, and that it just has two slots for RAM, so kind of a bigger initial RAM purchase, than the incremental RAM creep you could have if you had the 3 slots of some of the newer MicroATX offerings.

Early BIOS bugs were widely noted across motherboard mfgs with the 1st gen Ryzen processors, so I don't see that as a current problem.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I built my last pc with that same cpu, on a MSI gaming pro carbon, but thats not what you are after, its now in my daughters pc with a msi B350M BAZOOKA MATX motherboard that I got refurb for like $50. its been very solid.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#3]
What city are you in?  Micro Center has a few A320 and B450M motherboards in stock.  I've never had any luck with the AllTex in Carrollton.

mm
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I like MicroCenter, but they're on the other side of town.  This is going in a tower, so there's plenty of room.  I used the Carrolton AllTex a bit back in the 90's, lived around the corner from em for a bit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd step up to a B450 chipset.  If you ever want a newer cpu, the B450 will give a lot more options.  

Here's a B450 board I've used in several builds without issue.  Do make sure to update the bios.

https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-MicroATX-Motherboard-B450M-PRO4/dp/B07FVYKFXF/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=B450M+PRO4&qid=1613014340&sr=8-1
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 7:58:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like MicroCenter, but they're on the other side of town.  This is going in a tower, so there's plenty of room.  I used the Carrolton AllTex a bit back in the 90's, lived around the corner from em for a bit.
View Quote

I just thought about this.  Is it an older 1600 or a newer 1600 AF?  I think the newer one would be able to take advantage of a B450M board.

mm
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Haven't even gotten it out of the box.  Will check later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top