Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2020 6:26:24 PM EDT
Well the lady has decided she wants to do the upstairs with Laminate flooring. We had great success with Home Depot Lifeproof brand in our basement and intend to use that upstairs. My question is, What is the best way to do the upstairs landing? Ive done a few googlings and am generally confused with how to do it. On the stairs we can use the fancy pieces with the nose caps.

So how do you do it?
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#1]
What exactly do you mean?  Do you have any pics of the area you are talking about?
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Use glue and 18g nails sparingly to hold while the glue sets. Use plx3 (loctite adhesive). Using laminate for steps defeats the whole concept of the material so its not recommended, but its doable. The downside is that you need to use a nosing piece that has a lip to overlap the floor board so its raised and not flush and clean. Using real wood (wood strips and nosing) will at least not have that overlap because its a tongue and groove material to help line the pieces flat, and best is to get prefabricated steps and risers and cut each one specific to each step
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#3]
The 60 Minutes story on Lumber Liquidators that led to a $36 million settlement
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
So basically this is what I need help with. I’m using life proof vinyl flooring. They make a product called “cap a tread”. I don’t like the idea of having a piece that’s raised right before a downward step. I fear someone will trip.

So what’s the best way to go about finishing this area?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#5]
If you or worried about tripping, you might give some consideration to slipping, too.

Hardwood, laminate, LVP is pretty slippery. After several acquaintances were injured by slipping and falling down their stairs while wearing socks, we decided to leave carpet on ours. We just ran the carpet inches over the top of the stairs and used a bullnose to transition to the laminate.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you or worried about tripping, you might give some consideration to slipping, too.

Hardwood, laminate, LVP is pretty slippery. After several acquaintances were injured by slipping and falling down their stairs while wearing socks, we decided to leave carpet on ours. We just ran the carpet inches over the top of the stairs and used a bullnose to transition to the laminate.
View Quote

You’re not wrong in what you’re saying. I agree whole heartedly but mamasan wants it’s certain way and it’s my mission to provide that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I put a similar LVP flooring (Mannington AduraMAx) on my stairs.  If you go the Cap a Tread route, I believe for the top step you have to use a transition piece from the cap to the flooring on the landing, or use a stair nose, which wouldn't really match the look of the rest of the stairs.  (There's a good video on the Cap and Tread product page on Home Depot's site)  I didn't really like that look, and the Cap a Tread pieces are ridiculously expensive.  I opted to used the vinyl plank and create the risers and treads, and then cap them with matching stair nose trim pieces.  It does still create a small rise at the end of the step, but we have not found it to be an issue.

If you do use a stair nose, however, any existing overhang of the tread over the riser would have to be trimmed flush first.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#9]
just use the bullnose the manufacturer designed for the stairs. you're going to go crazy trying to match the look and make it look decent just to save a trip hazard that isn't really a trip hazard at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top