Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2018 11:26:25 AM EDT
Copying from GD, got no responses.

Finally picked up a meat grinder/sausage stuffer.

Need some recipes!

Sub sausages and breakfast sausages.
Also, if you could list the cut of meat you use (top/bottom round, flank steak, pork tenderloin, pork butt, shoulder roast?)
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#1]
A dedicated stuffer is much easier to use than a grinder attachment.  The grinder attachment tends to pump air into the sausage.

I made a bunch of sausage with REO spices.  You need a $8 crack scale from Amazon to calibrate the recipes per pound of meat, unless you do a big batch.  I still have a bunch of their spices leftover after making sausage out of two Texas hogs and then some.

Cheapest best frustration free stuffer: Hakka

Buy a prick while you are at it.

Amazon also sells casings that work very well.

I used the hams and shoulders from the wild hogs.  Wild hog is extremely lean and it is best to add some pork back fat.  I couldn't procure any back fat at a reasonable price, so I bought pork belly from Costco to grind up with the wild hog.  Wild hog is as lean as venison.

If I make sausage from store bought pork, I try to buy boneless country style pork ribs.  They have a good blend of fat and no bones to remove.  I have also used butt and shoulder.

For breakfast sausage, we don't stuff them.  I just bag the meat in small freezer bags, mash them flat, and stack them in the freezer.  Now that my mouth is watering, I will go thaw one out right now.

Keep the meat very cold when grinding.  If you double grind, you may want to mix spices into the first grind, refrigerate, and then grind the second grind later.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A dedicated stuffer is much easier to use than a grinder attachment.  The grinder attachment tends to pump air into the sausage.

I made a bunch of sausage with REO spices.  You need a $8 crack scale from Amazon to calibrate the recipes per pound of meat, unless you do a big batch.  I still have a bunch of their spices leftover after making sausage out of two Texas hogs and then some.

Cheapest best frustration free stuffer: Hakka

Buy a prick while you are at it.

Amazon also sells casings that work very well.

I used the hams and shoulders from the wild hogs.  Wild hog is extremely lean and it is best to add some pork back fat.  I couldn't procure any back fat at a reasonable price, so I bought pork belly from Costco to grind up with the wild hog.  Wild hog is as lean as venison.

If I make sausage from store bought pork, I try to buy boneless country style pork ribs.  They have a good blend of fat and no bones to remove.  I have also used butt and shoulder.

For breakfast sausage, we don't stuff them.  I just bag the meat in small freezer bags, mash them flat, and stack them in the freezer.  Now that my mouth is watering, I will go thaw one out right now.

Keep the meat very cold when grinding.  If you double grind, you may want to mix spices into the first grind, refrigerate, and then grind the second grind later.
View Quote
Excellent, thanks.  Never mix beef in your sausages?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m trying it now with a 4.5 pound pork shoulder mixed with 1 pound of beef sirloin tips.

Going to add onion and jalapeño.  
For spices:  red pepper flake, salt, pepper, paprika, and fennel seed.

Think I’m missing anything?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I made 40 lbs of basic breakfast sausage with elk and bacon ends/scraps the butcher sells cheap. 75% elk, did it up bulk style.

Best sausage patties ever.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Popped the casing in one spot but other than that no problem.  Here’s to hoping they taste good.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Not bad.  Next time i’ll skip on adding the beef/steak
Kind of makes it taste like meatloaf
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#9]
LEM and the sausagemaker carry a wide variety of seasonings and supplies. i've used both and have been pleased.
recipes:http://thespicysausage.com/sausagemakingrecipes.htm
https://curleyssausagekitchen.com/recipes.html
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes
http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm
Here's another supplier:http://www.stuffers.com/
hth
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:24:59 AM EDT
[#10]
If you take the tip of your sausage stuffer, you can use it like a funnel and rinse the insides of those casings under running water.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 3:52:35 AM EDT
[#11]
and don't forget to fry up a small piece of your grind to check your seasonings before you do the whole batch.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
and don't forget to fry up a small piece of your grind to check your seasonings before you do the whole batch.
View Quote
Even if you are using a proven recipe, you must do this.  I usually take the part that is left behind in the grinder and stuffer and use that for my "sample" batch.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#13]
wrong thread
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Next one I want to do is merguez, which is lamb with cumin, coriander, fennel, clove, paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#15]
From when I was a kid on up we would season sausage from scratch, the older I got I started playing around with different name brand seasonings & found that the best in my opinion is Fiesta brand from HEB  
Attachment Attached File

When I make sausage it's deer meat.

I generally mix 50/50 deer meat and bacon ends, follow the per lb on the Fiesta bottle & bam the best damn sausage you ever ate.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#16]
i love Fiesta seasonings. they all taste great and are much cheaper than most of the other offerings.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#17]
http://thespicysausage.com/sausagemakingrecipes.htm

Hot Italian Sausage

5-lbs pork
1-cup cold red wine
1-cup chopped fresh parsley
5-tsp salt
1-tbsp garlic powder or-4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
1-tbsp fresh ground pepper
3-tsp cayenne
5-tbsp fennel seed
2-tsp crushed chili peppers
5-tbsp paprika

Combine all, mix well & stuff into hog casing

ETA: Beat like a rented mule.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#18]
You might find this sausage making forum useful.

Sausage Making Forum
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#19]
@wildearp damn you I'm buying a stuffer this weekend
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Just made hunter sticks and summer sausage, I'm digging this
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#21]
So apparently it is hard to get pork belly or back fat here or even beef fat at least in stores, so I called a local butcher and had to put and order in for next weekend

Any ever use lard? Local butcher told me it works for most sausage...depressing to have all these new toys and no way to use them

Plan on bratwurst and smoked kielbasa next weekend...fingers crossed

Plenty of salty cured fat pig parts...no raw
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So apparently it is hard to get pork belly or back fat here or even beef fat at least in stores, so I called a local butcher and had to put and order in for next weekend

Any ever use lard? Local butcher told me it works for most sausage...depressing to have all these new toys and no way to use them

Plan on bratwurst and smoked kielbasa next weekend...fingers crossed

Plenty of salty cured fat pig parts...no raw
View Quote
Isn’t pork belly just unsliced bacon?
Local grocery stores (Market Basket) just started stocking pork belly in the past year, with the skin on.

Buy uncured bacon.  Don’t know if there’s any packaged bacon that is also unsmoked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top