Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2021 9:57:36 PM EDT

This is my great great grandads old forge, my grandad ended up with it and pretty much just used it to melt lead for bullets, now I use it to cook Arfcomers steaks
It has a phenolic gear inside that stripped on me all of a sudden and I’m having an Arfcom schindig in less than 2 months

My initial googling is not promising, I found one forum where they told a guy to 3D print the gear and then have it cast in bronze.
I don’t know where or how to go about that ??

If anyone knows where to source gears that would be awesome, any help appreciated.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#1]
This is why it’s so important to me to fix this instead of just getting a new one

Attachment Attached File

And this

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call the guy in Staunton Illinois in this ad -

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/atq/d/staunton-very-early-blacksmith/7251861678.html

He always has ads for a variety of blacksmith equipment, and might be a good place to start if nothing else.

Another place to ask -  http://www.ntxba.org/
View Quote

Thank you sir
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a 10 or 12 pitch gear, can't tell exactly but with 40 teeth and an estimate of the diameter I would put it in that range. Maybe a 1" face width max. That is not an uncommon gear and maybe available off the shelf or only requiring the bore to be customized. It's hard to say if it was a 14.5 or 20 degree pressure angle with the amount of wear but whichever it is the replacement needs to be the same.

That part was made from phenolic to both make it run quieter and to be a sacrificial part that would fail before the more expensive and hard to get to gears would, it did its job as designed. With that in mind your replacement should be a similar material or you may create bigger problems in the future.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If someone can draw it I’ll print it off for free
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks like a 10 or 12 pitch gear, can't tell exactly but with 40 teeth and an estimate of the diameter I would put it in that range. Maybe a 1" face width max. That is not an uncommon gear and maybe available off the shelf or only requiring the bore to be customized. It's hard to say if it was a 14.5 or 20 degree pressure angle with the amount of wear but whichever it is the replacement needs to be the same.

That part was made from phenolic to both make it run quieter and to be a sacrificial part that would fail before the more expensive and hard to get to gears would, it did its job as designed. With that in mind your replacement should be a similar material or you may create bigger problems in the future.
View Quote
An off the shelf gear will work if he can include a shear pin.

Most likely phenolic was used as they develop a lot of inertia and if the handle comes in contact with something in use that gear will break saving the others.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If someone can draw it I’ll print it off for free
View Quote

Damn i just now saw this, and I was playing with that little deal you printed the other day and I didn't even think to ask.

I'm beat from all the preparations for the Arfcom party this weekend, no time to fool with right now, we'll get it done before the next one, thanks brother.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top