Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/1/2022 1:29:53 PM EDT
So a coworker was in Ohio over Thanksgiving, and brought me back some Skyline chili (which I’m familiar with, delicious).

But he also brought me back a package of Goetta.

He explained it as Ohio scrapple.

What do I do with this? Best way to prepare and cook? Or do I toss it in the trash?

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know how to cook it but it sounds good.

Attachment Attached File

Guess this answers it.
I may have to try some.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Just so we're all clear here. Your buddy brought you nastiness from Cincinnati.

You'd be better off asking the Kentucky members their opinion. I don't want the rest of this great state lumped in with the Cincinnati weirdos.

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You'd be better off asking the Kentucky members their opinion. I don't want the rest of this great state lumped in with the Cincinnati weirdos.

View Quote

You know how everyone assumes that Oregon State = Portland, Washington State = Seattle, New York State = NYC?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I bet there’s the leftover parts of every animal in the farmyard in that tube, buttholes and lymph nodes included. You probably couldn’t find a day-old roadkill or slow-moving sickly stray dog within five miles of the factory either. Everything they can scrounge or buy for a nickel just gets tossed in the grinder.

Anything made by ethnics that comes in a plastic tube is miscellaneous as hell.

Ain’t saying don’t eat it, might taste good, just saying if you hold the covenant or consider Leviticus to be sound advice you might ought to steer clear.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#5]
How do I cook Lips and Assholes Pretty much sums it up really.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#6]
We even have Goettafest. Nothing but Goetta. You can prepare it about as many ways as you can Shrimp.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Never heard of it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I've lived here since 1991.

I've never heard of, or seen that before.

However to be transparent. My wife does the grocery shopping.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Skyline is a Cincinnati thing. I've never heard of Goetta, must be another Cincy thing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#10]
a) never heard of goetta.  Sounds like scrapple ???  (a New England thing)

b) canned skyline is garbage… you’re better off making a homemade clone recipe fresh or (obviously) going to eat at skyline.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We even have Goettafest. Nothing but Goetta. You can prepare it about as many ways as you can Shrimp.
View Quote

So does Kentucky.

Had to Google it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Personally I cut it into disc maybe .5" or so thick.  Then put it in the frying pan and cook it under medium heat flipping it until it's crispy on both sides.  Be careful as they will pop a little as it starts to cook.  I then just eat it with eggs and toast.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Never heard of it.
View Quote

Me either, but it looks to be Lips, Dicks & Hips.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Never heard of that before.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Personally I cut it into disc maybe .5" or so thick.  Then put it in the frying pan and cook it under medium heat flipping it until it's crispy on both sides.  Be careful as they will pop a little as it starts to cook.  I then just eat it with eggs and toast.
View Quote

This. It's of the same type of thing as scrapple or haggis.  Fry crisp for breakfast.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#16]
That shits good. I use to have a Glier's shirt from October fest in Covington along with many plastic beer steins. Goettafest is another fun event down there.

Cut off a chunk, flatten it out (like a sausage patty, and pan fry with a touch of oil.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't know what Goetta is either.

I'm not sure I'll ever try it.

Another thing I have arrived at due to this thread is someone left NY for an arguably better state but then they came back.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Another thing I have arrived at due to this thread is someone left NY for an arguably better state but then they came back.

View Quote

Brutal truth. Damn.

Ok, I’ll cut it into slices and fry it up with eggs, and see how it goes.

Hot sauce, I presume?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#19]
It's more or less a different style of sausage. You can cook it and apply it just like you would a sausage patty or get creative. There's a joint nearby that makes goetta melt sandwiches (pretty basic, geotta in the consistency of sloppy joe and mixed with melted cheddar on toast) that is a killer cold day comfort food. I can hear my arteries clogging just thinking about that one.

But give it an honest try, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope. Can’t let that happen. Geotta is clearly a northern thing.

But it’s basically German Haggis. Grains mixed with meat and spices to form a hearty sausage that stretched the meat further.

I’ve had it before. Some peddlers if it showed up locally a few years ago trying to get a foothold down here but it never took off.

I actually don’t mind Haggis. It sorta serves a utilitarian purpose. Let’s take leftover meat organs and pieces and instead of throwing it out, we’ll turn it into something pleasantly edible and hearty.

But why would I ruin perfectly good ground pork by adding oats to it? It’s fine as it is. The Geotta wasn’t bad per se as far as flavor goes. But that’s because you hide the grains in it. The better Geotta tastes, the less you can taste the oats in it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#22]
German breakfast sausage?

Possibly older than the state. Lots of German influence way back when. Columbus has German village, tht country is covered in German Baptist.

I grew up in Springfield-no heavy German influence (I know, lidertafel), never heard of it

FWIW -gold star>skyline
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Just to let you know, scrapple is PA Dutch for stuff we sweep up off the floor.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Born in Dayton and lived all over Ohio. Never heard of this stuff.  Would try it .
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nope. Can’t let that happen. Geotta is clearly a northern thing.

But it’s basically German Haggis. Grains mixed with meat and spices to form a hearty sausage that stretched the meat further.

I’ve had it before. Some peddlers if it showed up locally a few years ago trying to get a foothold down here but it never took off.

I actually don’t mind Haggis. It sorta serves a utilitarian purpose. Let’s take leftover meat organs and pieces and instead of throwing it out, we’ll turn it into something pleasantly edible and hearty.

But why would I ruin perfectly good ground pork by adding oats to it? It’s fine as it is. The Geotta wasn’t bad per se as far as flavor goes. But that’s because you hide the grains in it. The better Geotta tastes, the less you can taste the oats in it.
View Quote

I guess the Cajun version would be boudin?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#26]
When we were married we got a Betty Crocker cookbook. It had a recipe for scrapple. Corn meal and sausage, IIRC. We cooked it, tasted it and tossed it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
German breakfast sausage?

Possibly older than the state. Lots of German influence way back when. Columbus has German village, tht country is covered in German Baptist.

I grew up in Springfield-no heavy German influence (I know, lidertafel), never heard of it

FWIW -gold star>skyline
View Quote

You grew up in Springfield? I'm sorry, it's bad enough I work in Springfield.

I've lived in west central most of my life and I've never heard Geotta.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I've never heard if it (and never had Skyline).
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#29]
@fttam

Been eating Goetta my whole life, home made. The stuff in the tube is ok but homemade is a lot better.

Here's my Moms recipe, sadly just died this November, she always made it and gave it to people.
She would love it for me to pass on her recipe so people can enjoy and give to others.

This makes a lot, might cut in 1/2 to try.
GOETTA

10 Bay leaves
20 whole Cloves
1 tsp ground Cloves
1/4 tsp Red Pepper flakes
1 big Onion, diced
2 Jimmy Dean sausage Reg (1 lb each)
2 Jimmy Dean sausage Hot (1 lb each)
8 cups water
salt pepper to taste
1 bag Oatmeal- Pinhead

Mix sausage in 4 cups water, bring up to boil
Add onion and rest of water
Add spices
Bring to a boil, add oatmeal,mix
Simmer 60-90 min. till thick
Transfer to bowls and refrigerate

After it has cooled slice about 1/2 inch and pan fry with bacon fat.

I eat with eggs, a little hot sauce.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@fttam

Been eating Goetta my whole life, home made. The stuff in the tube is ok but homemade is a lot better.

Here's my Moms recipe, sadly just died this November, she always made it and gave it to people.
She would love it for me to pass on her recipe so people can enjoy and give to others.

This makes a lot, might cut in 1/2 to try.
GOETTA

10 Bay leaves
20 whole Cloves
1 tsp ground Cloves
1/4 tsp Red Pepper flakes
1 big Onion, diced
2 Jimmy Dean sausage Reg (1 lb each)
2 Jimmy Dean sausage Hot (1 lb each)
8 cups water
salt pepper to taste
1 bag Oatmeal- Pinhead

Mix sausage in 4 cups water, bring up to boil
Add onion and rest of water
Add spices
Bring to a boil, add oatmeal,mix
Simmer 60-90 min. till thick
Transfer to bowls and refrigerate

After it has cooled slice about 1/2 inch and pan fry with bacon fat.

I eat with eggs, a little hot sauce.
View Quote

@JPH2

That’s awesome! Thanks!

I’m gonna chow down on the stuff I got, and I may just try that recipe from you mom and give it a go.

Really cool of you to share that, and I’m sorry about your loss.

Thank you
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Fry it up crispy and eat it with Eggs and Biscuits, easy peazy breakfast and a nice change of pace from regular sausage
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You grew up in Springfield? I'm sorry, it's bad enough I work in Springfield.

I've lived in west central most of my life and I've never heard Geotta.
View Quote

You know what they say, you pick your friends not your family. Dad was stationed at WPAFB and mom was from Springfield, worked at the base. It was a great city back in tht day, not so much anymore. The only job I'd take in Clark county is Navistar and that's not with it anymore.

Link Posted: 12/3/2022 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can have that shit hole called Cincinnati, it goes well with the rest of Ohio!
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Never heard of it & I’m 45 minutes from Cincy.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#35]
My family is from NKY and I grew up there.

Goetta is awesome! Gleiers is but I'm spoiled and homemade is always better.

If nothing else it will give you the idea of what it is.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#36]
sounds like some sort of yankee version of livermush

Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Never heard of it & I’m 45 minutes from Cincy.
View Quote

Yup, too far.  

It is amazingly local. 10mi outside of Cincy and availability starts dropping off.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I've lived in Ohio since 1967. I've travelled the state. Corner to corner many times. Goetta is not an Ohio thing. I'm aware of what scrapple is as well. I lived near Philly for a year. Ohio doesn't do scrapple, or scrapple like meat products.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

No livers. At least not in the good stuff
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've lived in Ohio since 1967. I've travelled the state. Corner to corner many times. Goetta is not an Ohio thing. I'm aware of what scrapple is as well. I lived near Philly for a year. Ohio doesn't do scrapple, or scrapple like meat products.
View Quote

You must have missed the SW corner

But as I said above, you nearly have to go all the way into Cincy to find it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#41]
NE Ohio is what OP seeks.

OP
Stay away from SW Ohio.  Those people don’t know good food from dog shit covered with chili.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Brown that shit on both sides then enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
When we were married we got a Betty Crocker cookbook. It had a recipe for scrapple. Corn meal and sausage, IIRC. We cooked it, tasted it and tossed it.
View Quote

So nothing like goetta.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope. Not livermush, no liver at all.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was eating Goetta in OH before you wrere born. It is an Ohio thing.
Edit: OP, I love the stuff, I have a 5# block in the freezer right now. I need to lop a chunk off and have it for breakfast tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You can have that shit hole called Cincinnati, it goes well with the rest of Ohio!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@-KentuckyWindage-

We already fought and won to keep Toledo from Michigan. We will not make such a tactical mistake again!

You guys can have Cincinnati!

Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#47]
I have eaten plenty of Skyline but never had or seen Goetta anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

@-KentuckyWindage-

We already fought and won to keep Toledo from Michigan. We will not make such a tactical mistake again!

You guys can have Cincinnati!

View Quote

Hard to argue that point.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#49]
That’s from Cincinnati…. Cincinnati is in Kentucky in my book.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I was eating Goetta in OH before you wrere born. It is an Ohio thing.
Edit: OP, I love the stuff, I have a 5# block in the freezer right now. I need to lop a chunk off and have it for breakfast tomorrow.
View Quote

Yeah it's great, we have some more on the way tomorrow along with some Queen City brats!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top