Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2018 2:29:04 PM EDT
I've been attempting to do all my editing on my lightroom mobile app along with the photoshop mobile app but I'm leaving a lot on the table here.

I don't know much about computer specs, but I attempted to run the sony photo edtiting program on my 10 year old desktop and that was just not working.

I need to set up something but I don't even know where to begin.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#1]
What’s your budget, how big are the images you want to edit, etc?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't have a particular budget. The images are 24.3 MP.

I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as reliably possible because this is just a side hobby to compliment my other hobbies. A laptop would be nice because it's easier to justify, but I have a solid monitor if I go desktop.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as reliably possible because this is just a side hobby to compliment my other hobbies. A laptop would be nice because it's easier to justify, but I have a solid monitor if I go desktop.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much anything i3 processor, dedicated graphics and it’s 8gb, and 16gb ram or better will do it. That’s pretty bare bones and may have lag, etc. IMO any decent real gaming laptop or pc should do fine. You’re not demanding a massive amount of power for editing that stuff IMO.

More ram is important though. Photoshop, Lightroom, etc are ram hogs. They eat 12gb minimum when editing on my fairly high end system. So 16gb is pretty much as low as I’d recommend.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Pretty much anything i3 processor, dedicated graphics and it’s 8gb, and 16gb ram or better will do it. That’s pretty bare bones and may have lag, etc. IMO any decent real gaming laptop or pc should do fine. You’re not demanding a massive amount of power for editing that stuff IMO.

More ram is important though. Photoshop, Lightroom, etc are ram hogs. They eat 12gb minimum when editing on my fairly high end system. So 16gb is pretty much as low as I’d recommend.
View Quote
I can't imagine I'd go that cheap as far as i3.

Online articles were saying i7 minimum but if an i5 and 16 gig will do it, I'll go that route.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:33:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I can't imagine I'd go that cheap as far as i3.

Online articles were saying i7 minimum but if an i5 and 16 gig will do it, I'll go that route.
View Quote
An i5 is way better, I’m just saying an i3 is a minimum as I was editing my D7200 photos on one without big issues other than some lag.  IMO an i5 would be a huge improvement.  The big thing to remember is to make sure your monitor/display can show the color gamut for your photos.  99-100% sRGB is where you want to be.  Color calibration is important too.

At least if you’re wanting to be serious about color accuracy in photo edits, etc.  Personally I’m neurotic as hell about it though, so I have a calibrated proofing monitor, color passport to profile my camera, colorimeter, etc.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

An i5 is way better, I’m just saying an i3 is a minimum as I was editing my D7200 photos on one without big issues other than some lag.  IMO an i5 would be a huge improvement.  The big thing to remember is to make sure your monitor/display can show the color gamut for your photos.  99-100% sRGB is where you want to be.  Color calibration is important too.

At least if you’re wanting to be serious about color accuracy in photo edits, etc.  Personally I’m neurotic as hell about it though, so I have a calibrated proofing monitor, color passport to profile my camera, colorimeter, etc.
View Quote
I hadn't thought about that. I assumed the monitor I had was good. It's just as old as my previous computer but it always seemed decently nice.

Monitors can always be upgraded though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I think any i3 w/ 8GB, and a SSD C: drive would be ok for photo editing.  Adding a dedicated graphics card will allow you better options for multiple monitors, which can really streamline editing.  And when it comes to monitors, this is where you want to be very picky.   Good gamut, and monitor color calibration are key.

A bigger question is whether you will get into video editing.  This ups the minimum system requirements for a functional editing experience.  If you are never going to do video, then it's not a problem.  If you think you may be doing video, then give more thought about today's computer purchase.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#8]
For photo processing check the Ryzen processor over the i7.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#9]
From what I've recently researched, a powerful processor, lots of ram, and a SSD are the key ingredients for a good photo processing computer.  You don't necessarily need a large number (8/10/12) of  processor cores (unless you are editing videos) but a more powerful processor  is always going to be a good choice. File sizes are only going to get bigger, so you may as well jump in now.

I just picked up a new iMac to replace my aging Mac Pro.  I went with the i7, 4.2 GHz (quad core) processor.  I also loaded it up with 40 Gb of Ram, a SSD, and I got  an external enclosure to hold the 4 extra hard drives I had in the Mac Pro.  I haven't really used it for photo processing yet, as I'm just now getting everything migrated over.  I think it's going to be OK, but to some extent I still feel like I went backwards.

We'll see....
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I was looking at building around this, would it be g2g?

https://m.newegg.com/combo/combodetail?comboId=3845699&comboType=2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top