Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2021 4:06:24 PM EDT
Undecided. Wife and I are going to go next week and get one of these two.
Unsure of which one, both of us.

Your experiences with either?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
My dad has a 2019 Yukon and its real nice.  Generally GMC will be a nicer vehicle than the Chevy but at their core they're pretty much the same. I've owned half tons from both and prefer GMC
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I work at a chevy dealer and id say basically just go for whatever one you like the looks of better. Not a lot of differences.

What year op?  Ive got a 2010 tahoe and i still like that style the best so far haha.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I work at a chevy dealer and id say basically just go for whatever one you like the looks of better. Not a lot of differences.

What year op?  Ive got a 2010 tahoe and i still like that style the best so far haha.
View Quote
Thanks brother.

We're looking at brand new OR late 2020

PS thanks y'all for chiming in folks!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I've owned 4 Tahoes that lasted longer than my current Yukon. They are essentially the same vehicle with different build-out and badging. Since buying my Yukon I've had injectors go out 4 recalls, they wouldn't always tell me what for, trim work has fallen off, broken door handles, transmission going out.

Next vehicle I purchase will be a Tahoe hands down.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've owned 4 Tahoes that lasted longer than my current Yukon. They are essentially the same vehicle with different build-out and badging. Since buying my Yukon I've had injectors go out 4 recalls, they wouldn't always tell me what for, trim work has fallen off, broken door handles, transmission going out.

View Quote
Shoot. Your post alone could get me going for the Tahoe then.

Thanks! (And sorry about your trouble)
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#6]
same trash different interior
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh man. The only thing ive seen on the newer tahoes 20+ versions is that one came back for some fuel regulator or pump issue.  Now the silverado on the other hand .....lets just say too many issues

Op I highly suggest not getting one in black the paint is complete trash. They come off the truck pre scratched (not ones easily seen, kinda like fine brush marks idk its hard to explain) and they only get worse after each wash. Idk if they went really cheap on the paint/clear or its just my area in the northeast haha.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
same trash different interior
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Oh man. The only thing ive seen on the newer tahoes 20+ versions is that one came back for some fuel regulator or pump issue.  Now the silverado on the other hand .....lets just say too many issues

Op I highly suggest not getting one in black the paint is complete trash. They come off the truck pre scratched (not ones easily seen, kinda like fine brush marks idk its hard to explain) and they only get worse after each wash. Idk if they went really cheap on the paint/clear or its just my area in the northeast haha.
View Quote
Thank you!

(we were thinking of ordering racist white, a color we've been attached to for a long time)

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you!

(we were thinking of ordering racist white, a color we've been attached to for a long time)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!

Lol.  Nice i do like them in white with the two tone tan/brown interior myself.  Just take your time and good luck man
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I own a Yukon XL and a Suburban.

Same vehicle, different badges.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lol.  Nice i do like them in white with the two tone tan/brown interior myself.  Just take your time and good luck man
View Quote
Thanks bro!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I own a Yukon XL and a Suburban.

Same vehicle, different badges.
View Quote
Sweet
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s what my suburban is, pearlized white with dark brown interior.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:51:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice. My tahoe is that blue granite with the tan/brown interior
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Sequoia
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought the Yukon had the larger engine as standard?

I do really like driving those, they are very nice vehicles.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I thought the Yukon had the larger engine as standard?

I do really like driving those, they are very nice vehicles.
View Quote

Nope, the vehicles come with two options 5.3L and 5.7L ETA- 6.2L, not 5.7L

5.3L is standard.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Yukon Denali, it’s going to be much nicer. GMC is just a step up from Chevy a halfway point between Chevy and Cadillac.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nope, the vehicles come with two options 5.3L and 5.7L

5.3L is standard.
View Quote

6.2 10 speed on my GMC not sure about Chevy
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, the vehicles come with two options 5.3L and 5.7L

5.3L is standard.

6.2 is diesel, isn't it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Double post
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a friend that works in Arlington at the plant that builds them, aside from the obvious, they are same. The difference is the option packages are slightly different making it all but impossible to price shop between the two.

Escalades are same basic structure but have much more sound proofing, different suspension, upholstery, options available etc...
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#24]
In the 21 model year
6.2 is gas not diesel.   Current diesel and only diesel in a Tahoe or Yukon for some time if ever is a  3 liter Duramax which is supposed to be some engine. Great torque.

Tahoe and Yukon are basically same truck.  Current engine is 5.3 L with 10 speed transmission
6.2L available on top of the line Tahoe and Yukon
The diesel is an option for all trims I believe

My family has had 10 Tahoe’s since they came out in 1995. Currently have 17 and 19. They are great trucks
I got into an accident and was give a GMC Yukon XL as a rental.  I kept it for a week and gave it back. Didn’t like it.  It was a lesser trim level than my suburban was.  I missed the amenities.

If you drive the 21, you won’t want the 20.  The ride is improved and the 10 speed tranny is very smooth
Chevy and gmc have shut down new order  of the Tahoe’s and Yukon’s as they’ve taken more orders than they have parts to build them.  Covid has taken a toll on their supply chains.  
Their plants will start up production on new orders going forward in august.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

6.2 is diesel, isn't it.
View Quote

Gas
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Want to thank everyone again, impressive input. Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Thats it, I drove the 6.2L gas version and it was really nice. I drove the last gen one with the 6 or 8 speed transmission. Thing got really good economy on the highway too and was old school Cadillac smooth.

I like em big, so those are in my top favorite daily driver cars.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#28]
OP you get one yet? My wife and I are looking for used Tahoe / Suburban now. Drove one of each yesterday, she seems to like the Tahoe better as she's got an '03 Yukon and the extra length of the burb intimates her I think.

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#29]
My wife has a 2016 Tahoe - she babies it. Replaced all 8 coil packs at 70,000 miles because it had constant misfires (replaced the plugs and boots too - coil was the culprit). It now has 101,000 miles and the transmission went out. There is a class action suit for transmission failure on a couple of Tahoe/Silverado year models, hers being part of it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks you all again!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Update: done.

Wife surprised me with a 2020 GMC Yukon XL, less than 20k miles on it. Got it at a GMC dealership, 3 years certification et cetera.
Very happy.

The input we got here was decisive.

Usually OPs don't really update on the final decision or results; I didn't want to be that kind of OP.
Also, mandatory picture of wife. OP is very happy.

Attachment Attached File

2020 Yukon XL by SoloDallas, on Flickr

ETA: I'm totally changing those rims. I am going for 22 inches, chrome rims all the way. You can't stop me now.

(oh and possibly another front grill similar to Denali style)
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:50:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Shoot. Your post alone could get me going for the Tahoe then.

Thanks! (And sorry about your trouble)
View Quote

You buy one you buy the other.

One rolls off the assembly line with a chevy front end and the other rolls off with a gmc front end.

Same engine, same transmission, same everything.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Update: done.

Wife surprised me with a 2020 GMC Yukon XL, less than 20k miles on it. Got it at a GMC dealership, 3 years certification et cetera.
Very happy.

The input we got here was decisive.

Usually OPs don't really update on the final decision or results; I didn't want to be that kind of OP.
Also, mandatory picture of wife. OP is very happy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326068/153149524_10222108748842598_660603216219-1860550.JPG

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51024609402_aa0ee3da76_h.jpg2020 Yukon XL by SoloDallas, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51023780093_b8f9d6e0cc_h.jpg2020 Yukon XL by SoloDallas, on Flickr

ETA: I'm totally changing those rims. I am going for 22 inches, chrome rims all the way. You can't stop me now.

(oh and possibly another front grill similar to Denali style)
View Quote

You better take care of that woman.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 7:08:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You better take care of that woman.
View Quote
I hear you Sir!

She is the Love of my life.

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thank you!

View Quote

I bought my second Yukon XL Denali last year, new, 6.2, and white.  My first one was a CPO vehicle that I put a bunch of miles on it.  I decided to trade out while I could during the early days of WuFlu.  The dealer gave me good numbers and 1% financing.  
My sister has a Suburban Premier and other than the small body differences and badging, it’s the same vehicle.  I’ve always liked the GMC more than the Chevy because of the styling differences.  I love the neared steering wheel in the winter and the AC seats in the summer.  It has enough torque to pull my old cabin cruiser in and out of the water at the local boat ramp.  For a big SUV, the ride is very smooth.  
I’ve seen the new redesigns and think they are very sharp looking and a bit bigger than the last model.  I didn’t want to be a first year implementor so I went with the 2020.  I’ll wait to see what happens in 5 years about the next one.  Who knows, with the current crowd in office, big SUV could go they way of the Excursion.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I bought my second Yukon XL Denali last year, new, 6.2, and white.  My first one was a CPO vehicle that I put a bunch of miles on it.  I decided to trade out while I could during the early days of WuFlu.  The dealer gave me good numbers and 1% financing.  
My sister has a Suburban Premier and other than the small body differences and badging, it's the same vehicle.  I've always liked the GMC more than the Chevy because of the styling differences.  I love the neared steering wheel in the winter and the AC seats in the summer.  It has enough torque to pull my old cabin cruiser in and out of the water at the local boat ramp.  For a big SUV, the ride is very smooth.  
I've seen the new redesigns and think they are very sharp looking and a bit bigger than the last model.  I didn't want to be a first year implementor so I went with the 2020.  I'll wait to see what happens in 5 years about the next one.  Who knows, with the current crowd in office, big SUV could go they way of the Excursion.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/65087/F2330B8D-1254-4F6C-9E6B-9DA2794E8D92_jpe-1860769.JPG
View Quote
Same thinking.

Absolutely love yours. Going for 22 inches chrome rims and a different front grill - might actually copy yours entirely.

Was looking at the standard Denali rims

Attachment Attached File

I am ordering this morning.

I've always maintained that rims (and wheels) are half the car.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Same thinking.

Absolutely love yours. Going for 22 inches chrome rims and a different front grill - might actually copy yours entirely.

Was looking at the standard Denali rims

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326068/2017-GMC-Yukon-XL-Denali-116_jpg-1860780.JPG

I am ordering this morning.

I've always maintained that rims (and wheels) are half the car.
View Quote

I'm with you- the rims were a big part in my choice.  The dealer had a very nice blue one but the color combo with the non-chrome wheels was a deal killer for me.  22in wheels look awesome on that big SUV.  You chose wisely.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#38]
We bought my wife a used '19 Tahoe with 42k miles last night. She's been looking for a while to replace her '03 Yukon.

Tell me about this AFM. Is it still a problem on these models and if so what are the fixes?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:51:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Sadly, the data suggests AFM is still an issue.  I have a '19 LD pickup and my plan is frequent oil changes - I'll probably end up at 3-4K intervals.  Try to keep the lubrication circuit that controls the AFM as clean as I can.  Other than that, it is possible to remove the AFM; but I see no reason to do that in advance of a failure....
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#40]
That looks nice, congrats!

My wife has a 2014 Yukon and it has been dependable. 5.3l engine, had to replace oil pressure sender and plugs. The interior door panels are shit and the grab handle is the worst designed pos and breaks. Hope new ones are designed differently.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That looks nice, congrats!

My wife has a 2014 Yukon and it has been dependable. 5.3l engine, had to replace oil pressure sender and plugs. The interior door panels are shit and the grab handle is the worst designed pos and breaks. Hope new ones are designed differently.
View Quote
Thanks brother. I think it's pretty much the same.
My impression is that they have barely changed minor things over the years; namely, rims and the front grille.

I am updating (ordered) my front grille AND the rims to the following picture:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sequoia
View Quote

This is the answer. Yukon or Tahoe is just picking based on trim and fake woodgrain.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is the answer. Yukon or Tahoe is just picking based on trim and fake woodgrain.
View Quote
Too late bruh, I bought it. PS they tell me wood trim is real innit?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Too late bruh, I bought it. PS they tell me wood trim is real innit?
View Quote

Congratulations!

I got a '21 Tahoe Premier last fall. Have about 7K miles on it. Zero problems.

Very nice vehicle. 5.3L/10 speed work well together. Very nice ride. Very nice interior. Not bad looking.

Down side - 15MPG - 60% city/40% highway.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Congratulations!

I got a '21 Tahoe Premier last fall. Have about 7K miles on it. Zero problems.

Very nice vehicle. 5.3L/10 speed work well together. Very nice ride. Very nice interior. Not bad looking.

Down side - 15MPG - 60% city/40% highway.
View Quote
Right back at you!!!

I love them both (Chevy/GMC/Caddy etc.)

Great machines. And let me tell you, I'm originally from the EU. I've had them all German cars; don't miss them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Just wanted to give you all one last update: today I had front grille (Denali version) AND my favorite rims (7 split-spoke, chrome, 22") installed.

Whole different car. See it if you will as a "poor man's Escalade" (as my wife called it) but I truly love it.

Want to thank you all again for giving us suggestions; we listened and we couldn't be happier.

Thank you!

Fil

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just wanted to give you all one last update: today I had front grille (Denali version) AND my favorite rims (7 split-spoke, chrome, 22") installed.

Whole different car. See it if you will as a "poor man's Escalade" (as my wife called it) but I truly love it.

Want to thank you all again for giving us suggestions; we listened and we couldn't be happier.

Thank you!

Fil

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51099674656_6d5c0744a4_h.jpg2020 Yukon XL by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote
Looks good man. White is my #1 color choice.

BTW - it's not a car
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Looks good man. White is my #1 color choice.

BTW - it's not a car
View Quote
Truck!!! So true - say again, "truck"

(thank you!)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top