Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2021 2:17:27 AM EDT
I have a Generac/DeWalt generator that'll be plugged to the house via transfer switch, & I need an all weather enclosure to store & run it in. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
No complaints with my Rubbermaid storage shed - Keeps the generator dry, reduces the noise level by a few dB, and is big enough to also store a few fuel cans.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I would think ventilation is needed if you're going to run it from the enclosure.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#3]
This or a similar company or DIY
https://www.jamarcarports.com/carports/

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would think ventilation is needed if you're going to run it from the enclosure.
View Quote

Yes, definitely - I installed a pair of aluminum roof vents on the back side of mine, with a 10" AC muffin fan inside one of them. The fan plugs into the generator, and draws cool air in near the bottom of the shed - the other vent allows hot air to escape near the top.

I also installed foam gasketing around the door edges to help keep sound from leaking through them.

Coincidentally, I used it just last night when we lost utility power during a heavy rainstorm - Being able to keep the generator dry while it's running is nice.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 3:32:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, definitely - I installed a pair of aluminum roof vents on the back side of mine, with a 10" AC muffin fan inside one of them. The fan plugs into the generator, and draws cool air in near the bottom of the shed - the other vent allows hot air to escape near the top.

I also installed foam gasketing around the door edges to help keep sound from leaking through them.

Coincidentally, I used it just last night when we lost utility power during a heavy rainstorm - Being able to keep the generator dry while it's running is nice.
View Quote

Those are great ideas. Did you vertically align the vents on the same side as the generator's exhaust?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#6]
^ I have a "personal collection" of around a dozen portable generators (mostly under 2KW) - any one of which could be put in the shed when needed.

There is no commonality in where their cold and hot sides are - so I didn't make any particular effort to locate the vents to accommodate them.

Basic physics was the only consideration: Since hot air rises, at least one of the vents should be located high in the enclosure, so as to give the heat an opportunity to escape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top