Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2020 7:11:23 PM EDT
My kids are getting into more technology with this COVID thing and I just added some IP cameras + NVR.

I need to up my home network game by adding a network firewall and several VLANs for things like the NVR (not networked yet), internet capable devices like the bluray player (no smart TVs), and maybe one for the kids / guest network that is isolated from my main desktop and NAS device.

Questions I have are:

• is pfsense still a good option?  I looked at it a while back and was eyeballing the SG-1100 to place between the modem and router.  

• if so, is there an advantage to having pfsense on a stand-alone device vs loaded on a router?

• What is a good router to use for setting up VLANs?  I've use open-source firmware in the past on older Linksys WRT routers, but stopped playing with it a while back.  Is open-source still preferred?

• I'm also open to suggestions on network topography.

Thanks.  It's been a while and I'm trying to wade back into the pool without consuming all my time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a sg1100, it's awesome.
Was very hard to get the vlan trunking configured like I needed.  It's not intuitive at all but I managed it and it's been Rock solid.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I love pfSense and I'll never use anything else.  I built mine and connected it to a 10GbE switch.  I've probably overdone it with the VLANs, but I have full control over everything.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:42:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:31:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zak-Smith:
Keep in mind that if you have pfSense handle the VLANs, either by trunking them all from tagged ports on your switch, or using separate ports to untagged ports on your switch, the pfSense will have to handle all routing between the VLANs.  If you have a lot of inter-VLAN traffic, this could be a bottleneck.  The normal recommended way to avoid this problem is to use a L3 switch and only send traffic to the router that actually needs to go out to the internet, not just to a different VLAN, since switches have at least an order of magnitude more "routing" speed.

ETA: at 10G speeds, this is even more likely to be true.  I think with their appliances you have to get up to the XG7100 to get L3 routing over 10 Gbps-- maybe.
View Quote

That's a good bit of information there.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:33:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll be the odd man out here. I think pfsense is fine, but I went Ubiquiti USG with UniFi switches. It has been really easy to set it and mostly forget it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top