Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2020 7:56:19 PM EDT
All right, when it comes to tech I'm not the sharpest knife in the...knife...keeping...thing.  But you guys have given me great advice on computers in the past so I'm here to ask again.

With the COVID shut down I've had to produce a lot of videos of stuff that I'd usually do in person & I have come to the point that my 7 year old Lenovo IdeaPad just can't keep up.  So, what would be a good computer for video editing?

Right now I'm using Adobe Elements for all of my video editing.  All I've ever used is Windows based machines and would prefer to stick with them.  I'd prefer a laptop but wouldn't be against a desktop if a good argument for them can be made.  I'd like to keep this under $1K but, again, good arguments to the contrary are welcome.

So, what options should I be looking at?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Which resolution are shooting at?  That would also help with the selection.  The guys making 4k videos on YouTube have some high end setups
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which resolution are shooting at?  That would also help with the selection.  The guys making 4k videos on YouTube have some high end setups
View Quote

I am currently shooting 4K.  I'm using a Panasonic Lumix G7 camera which has 2 4K settings.  I'm using the lower quality 4K setting since the higher quality one produces files sizes that are way too big for my computer to handle.  I'd give you better info on the settings but I don't have my camera with me at the moment.

What I'm really after is cutting down the time it takes to process everything.  Last week I ended up doing an hour long video and it took half the day to shoot, edit, process, and upload, with the process time taking at least half of that time.  I just really can't afford to spend half my day dedicated to one thing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#3]
For an under $1K spend you're likely not to see the performance you want.

Does Adobe Elements supports multi-threading or GPU acceleration (or both) when rendering?
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For an under $1K spend you're likely not to see the performance you want.

Does Adobe Elements supports multi-threading or GPU acceleration (or both) when rendering?
View Quote

I honestly don't know.  This is a process I started learning about 2 months ago when everything started shutting down.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Rendering benchmark tool here: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/cinebench-15-download.html

My 2 year old system (which would still be well more than 1K) renders at ~ 180 fps in that specific benchmark.

This is just a reference point.

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I honestly don't know.  This is a process I started learning about 2 months ago when everything started shutting down.
View Quote

It's on the Adobe site and will determine how you configure the new PC.

My wife had issues opening pictures from Lightbridge into Photoshop for editing.  What used to happen immediately took about 30 seconds.  There was another piece of software grabbing the process and keeping it from the GPU.  I could see a CPU spike during this time.  Turning that software off sped up the process.  Instead of 30 seconds, I couldn't time it accurately it was so fast.

This PC is an older i7, 64GB RAM and a Radeon RX-580 GPU with 8 GB of RAM. It's not a very expensive video card and I shared my story to emphasize how much a GPU helps when Adobe products can utilize one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top