Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2020 3:24:06 PM EDT
My wife seems to fuck up computers every 2 years.  the last two I've gotten her the keyboards shit the bed, and this one has started doing the same thing.  Have a replacement keyboard on it's way but in case it doesn't end up working what would a good "consumer" grade 15" laptop with an optical drive and full number pad run me?  Needs to beat or meet the current system, specs of her current below.  

AMD A6 9220
8GB Ram
1TB HDD

I'm not opposed to swapping out the hard drive or RAM to get it up to snuff.  I can repurpose them into one of our half dozen or more "old" laptops.

ETA: Also now thinking an off lease business class is a good way to go.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a business class machine.  Something like this:

Refurbished Lenovo ThinkPad Worstation
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#2]
In before the Mac fanboys arrive.

Get an enterprise grade laptop and stop buying them every two years.

If you asked me 2 years ago I'd have told you HP, but the new ones aren't faring so well at work.  I have a Dell Precision mobile workstation for work (after going through two Lenovo Thinkpads and an HP Z Book) and it's as solid as any I've ever used. I was/am so impressed I bought a Precision workstation (desktop) and am switching all my gear over to Dell.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The laptop you quoted is extremely slow

The AMD "A" series cpu is slow, hot running, and at an evolutionary dead end with Ryzen being out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By the-fly:
The laptop you quoted is extremely slow 

The AMD "A" series cpu is slow, hot running, and at an evolutionary dead end with Ryzen being out.
View Quote

Hah, just caught that.  Passmark score of 1,396.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm trying to convince her to get an enterprise laptop.  If nothing else it's easier for me to fix the damn thing.  Plastic melted "rivets" in keyboards is retarded...I get why they do it though.  Biggest turn off for her is the weight.  I picked up one for myself and like it, but damn it's heavy.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Is your wife a portable user, or is the spot she uses her laptop big enough to use a usb keyboard?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before the Mac fanboys arrive.

Get an enterprise grade laptop and stop buying them every two years.

If you asked me 2 years ago I'd have told you HP, but the new ones aren't faring so well at work.  I have a Dell Precision mobile workstation for work (after going through two Lenovo Thinkpads and an HP Z Book) and it's as solid as any I've ever used. I was/am so impressed I bought a Precision workstation (desktop) and am switching all my gear over to Dell.
View Quote
Mac fanboy checking in....  I have a MBP for my personal computer and if IT would allow me to use one at work I would pay for the Mac that they control....

That being said, Work provided a HP enterprise laptop.  Pro G4 or something like that.  They added memory to it and put a Samsung SSD.  The screen resolution still sucks on it and it is annoying slow.  I had a Dell Latitude many years ago that was awesome.  

I'm now on the list for a New Dell Latitude laptop but my WFH team comes before me when it comes to upgrades....
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for Dell Precision,  pick one up off-lease if money is tight.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Where's a good place to get these off-lease business class laptops?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't know if it's a "Good" place or not, but I get mine on eBay. There are a ton of "refurbishers" who get them off lease and flip them basically as a legit operation.

I just got a 24 Core Dual Xeon Precision workstation w/ 256GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Quadro M5000, and Tesla K80 fresh off a 2 year lease for $2,500.  Not sure on the original MSRP but it's gotta be way higher than that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top