Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/21/2021 1:56:14 PM EDT
I used to carry a small Fenix flashlight in my pocket for a long time. I snagged the pocket clip on a seatbelt one day and snapped it. Unfortunately I can't find a replacement for it, so I need another light. I've been looking at Streamlight and Surefire and don't see anything that really blows my hair back. The new Fenix offerings aren't that exciting either.

And post pics if you got em. I'll snap some pics of my lights here in a minute. I have a well worn Fenix keychain light that gave up after years of living on my keychain that I need to replace too. Is there a flashlight thread somewhere on this site? We need one if we don't already have one.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a Streamlight Protac 1L. I’d like to try their new Macrostream.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Modlite if you want the best and you have the money.

Streamlight is great for the lower cost.

Surefire is shit when you look at what you get for the money. If you’re in the surefire price point then skip surefire and buy a Modlite.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#3]
By far my favorite and most durable has been the Backup from Surefire, but you pay for what you get.

I've also had good luck with the Streamlight AA and AAA versions, much cheaper and still very durable.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#4]
EAGTac single CR123 cell light has been very good for me.

D25 CR123

AA battery version

Not as hot as the oh-lights though
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably something from China, make sure to watch as many freedom loving youtubers paid reviews on them first and give them two thumbs way up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#6]
It's nothing special, but I really like the Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA. Randomly found an amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88061-ProTac-Professional-Tactical/dp/B01G75P1SC?th=1

I usually just have an AA in it (lower lumens, but runs forever it seems). I have had an E2D-LED for years, and it sits in a drawer now because of the Streamlight.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I use the $18 Streamlight. I’m prone to losing shit so I don’t get too expensive.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Olight S1 fits in the change pocket of my jeans along with a spare mag for my P3AT.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#9]
BLF A6. Designed by the guys over at Budget Light Forum. 7 mode, with switchable mode memory

$27 each. Buy 3 or 4. You'll want a few laying around and they are perfect gifts.

They ship from Banggood in China, so it takes 30-45 days to arrive.

1600-lumens (with a spring mod) - slightly less without.

Make sure you have high-draw (20A) 18650's.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I would go with the protac, but I hate the ribs on the head of the light. On the Protac weaponlights it makes the heads unnecessarily large, and on the pocket models they look like they will snag/chew up pockets. The little microstream is nice but only 45 lumens.

Actually the Surefire backup looks decent and isn't stupid money. I agree that the scout lights are overpriced for their output when you look at stuff from Cloud and Modlite now.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BLF A6. Designed by the guys over at Budget Light Forum. 7 mode, with switchable mode memory

$27 each. Buy 3 or 4. You'll want a few laying around and they are perfect gifts.

They ship from Banggood in China, so it takes 30-45 days to arrive.

1600-lumens (with a spring mod) - slightly less without.

Make sure you have high-draw (20A) 18650's.
View Quote

At this point, I'd rather not buy from made in China. Which prompted me to look, and Streamlight is made in China.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

At this point, I'd rather not buy from made in China. Which prompted me to look, and Streamlight is made in China.
View Quote

Supposedly these are/were made in Canada, I'm not buying that based on pricing... Nobody wants to buy from China.

Armytek
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
in before olight bois
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Surefire titan is the best
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I switched from the LD10 to the streamlight microstream USB and have been very happy.

If you're really attached the the LD10, I have a meaningful cache of them in my supplies and would be happy to part with one.

I think I may even have one or two new in box.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Zebralight is the best EDC. Pick out what battery type you like and get a Ti deep carry clip from eBay
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Zebralight is the best EDC. Pick out what battery type you like and get a Ti deep carry clip from eBay
View Quote

I'll second Zebralight, awesome little lights that are very efficient and bright.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#18]

These are THE SHIT.

Get the bronze one , not the black one. So the bright setting kicks in first.

Hi/low. Charge lasts a LONG time. I use the shit out of my flashlight because I can't fuggin see.

I have bought multiples because as soon as I like somehting, they stop making it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been pleased with my SureFire Stiletto. It's rechargable, so no battery swaps required. Replace the unit when the internal battery stops working well, but that's probably 8-10 years out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#20]
For a small light the StreamLight MicroStream USB is great. Bright, 2 useful settings, and long battery life.

For a larger pocket light I still like the SureFire Backup but rarely carry mine anymore since the StreamLight is so much more convenient.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been carrying an older Four Sevens Quark for about 5 years now. It works. I'd really like to get into a modlite handheld though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Round pocket flashlights are dumb.  Flat is where it's at.

Surefire Stiletto FTW.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#23]

This right here. I prefer the clicky tailcap to the twist on/off of my Surefire Titan Plus. I don’t think anyone has more than 300 lumens out of a single AAA,  but I haven’t looked in a while.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'll second Zebralight, awesome little lights that are very efficient and bright.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And also out of the CR123 based light business entirely.

I have been a ZL fan for more than a decade, but they shit the bed discontinuing CR123 lights
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

These are THE SHIT.

Hi/low. Charge lasts a LONG time. I use the shit out of my flashlight because I can't fuggin see.

I have bought multiples because as soon as I like somehting, they stop making it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

These are THE SHIT.

Agreed, it's about the best light I've had in the last 20 years.  I've had mine for about 6 months, I bought 10 of them and gave to everyone in my family for Christmas.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I might be mistaken, but I ordered a Zebralight last week - even though the company is based in Sherman Texas, I think the light is probably shipping from China.  The USPS label was printed on the 19's, but still no shipment (as there is probably nothing to ship in the US yet).

I do like the idea of using it hands free from a jacket pocket or headband.  That said, it is bigger than my old quark.
---
I did not look that hard at the driver specs of the 18650 ZL, but many 18650 lights can be driven by a pair of CR123's.  Web info is iffy, 6v is good, but high mode draw is more than 2 cr123's can handle.  Others have mentioned that they will not quite fit the pins.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
in before olight bois
View Quote

Little guy is awesome though.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#28]
rechargeable
1500, 500, 120, 15, and 1 lumen modes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#29]
This thread...

CHINA
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I might be mistaken, but I ordered a Zebralight last week - even though the company is based in Sherman Texas, I think the light is probably shipping from China.  The USPS label was printed on the 19's, but still no shipment (as there is probably nothing to ship in the US yet).

I do like the idea of using it hands free from a jacket pocket or headband.  That said, it is bigger than my old quark.
---
I did not look that hard at the driver specs of the 18650 ZL, but many 18650 lights can be driven by a pair of CR123's.  Web info is iffy, 6v is good, but high mode draw is more than 2 cr123's can handle.  Others have mentioned that they will not quite fit the pins.
View Quote

ZL is made in China, US sales ship from Ft. Worth.

I should have specifically said single CR123 are discontinued (H32\SC32), it may very well be that the 18650 models are compatible with 2x CR123.

18650\2xCR123 are too big for me to EDC, single 123 is best followed by single AA, and ZL does still make the AA models
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This right here. I prefer the clicky tailcap to the twist on/off of my Surefire Titan Plus. I don't think anyone has more than 300 lumens out of a single AAA,  but I haven't looked in a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This right here. I prefer the clicky tailcap to the twist on/off of my Surefire Titan Plus. I don't think anyone has more than 300 lumens out of a single AAA,  but I haven't looked in a while.

Yeah, I was excited for the Titan Plus but I don't carry mine since I got the MicroStream. It's a far better light by every metric, and also cost far less.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I just got a surefire tactician and really like it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This thread...

CHINA
View Quote

I get what you're saying, but unless someone in the USA starts making LE Diodes, they are all Chinese, including the American brands
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've been carrying an older Four Sevens Quark for about 5 years now. It works. I'd really like to get into a modlite handheld though.
View Quote

Same. Not even their new models have the versatility of the old AA Quark. Can run on 1x 14500 LiIon, AA, AAA, AAAA, or 2x AA with the longer tube.

Never had the reverse clicky inadvertently turn on in my pocket (unlike a forward clicky where that's happened before). I also stopped putting photon lights on my keychains because those tend to get turned on in pocket, and wind up dead when I need them.

Keychain light is a twist head Countycomm copper AAA with the 3 brightness modes and a high-CRI Nichia 219. The Nichia is far better for ID'ing cyanosis than the typical cool white LEDs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I got a StreamLight MicroStream USB for Christmas and it is a good light but I was a little disappointed that it uses micro usb instead of usb c.
I can't stand having to fumble around trying to put the usb in the right way up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I just use a Surefire G2 with LED upgrade I picked up really cheap (I got 4 for $18/ea + tax). I keep one in my backpack, one in my car and have two on rifles.

I know they're not cool anymore but they work so I can't complain.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I also had a little fenix triple aaa light. Thought it was ok but kept coming unscrewed I'm my pocket.

Bought a roxyvon usb chargeable light on amazon, 600 lumen it says.  It's pretty badass so far. About 6-8 months use and I love it for $29.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And also out of the CR123 based light business entirely.

I have been a ZL fan for more than a decade, but they shit the bed discontinuing CR123 lights
View Quote

I don't blame them, the SC5 puts out more lumens from a little Eneloop Pro AA battery than most other brand's lights put out that use a 3V 123 battery.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Fenix PD25. Small, bright, and a clip that puts the entire light in your pocket which I find very handy. Also comes with a rechargeable 123.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I like the bronze microstream

Will be getting the wedge when it comes out:

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/wedge
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's nothing special, but I really like the Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA. Randomly found an amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88061-ProTac-Professional-Tactical/dp/B01G75P1SC?th=1

I usually just have an AA in it (lower lumens, but runs forever it seems). I have had an E2D-LED for years, and it sits in a drawer now because of the Streamlight.
View Quote

This. Been carrying one for 3 years at work.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I got a StreamLight MicroStream USB for Christmas and it is a good light but I was a little disappointed that it uses micro usb instead of usb c.
I can't stand having to fumble around trying to put the usb in the right way up.
View Quote

Can you buy an adapter for a couple bucks, just to leave on the charging cable?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Have one of these also and it’s a great little light.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Can you buy an adapter for a couple bucks, just to leave on the charging cable?
View Quote

Still have to plug into the micro usb port in the light.
I notice that the wedge is going to use usb c though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#46]

This. Carried a PD35 for 6 years. This little thing is awesome and much nicer to carry.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Olight I3T EOS (AAA batt, 5/180 lumen)

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#48]
FENIX PD35
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Look at the small NEBO keychain lights. USB recharged and amazing light for something the size of a 50 cent piece.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#50]

This is what I have also. 250 lumens, rechargeable, small.
I also have the the tiny 90 lumen Olight i3 EOS. Not much bigger than a AAA battery.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top