Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2021 11:55:14 AM EDT
I just had a hair-brained idea to get my daughter a scooter or beginner motorcycle since she'll be working out of state for the summer (resort area).  

Do you need a motorcycle license to test drive a bike?  (in Colorado)

(she's driven a manual transmission car since 16 years old and is now 19, so shifting is fine.)

Thinking of something (scooter or bike) that'll go about 70 mph.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll need a license or permit. Most likely a license. Though I've not test driven a bike in CO, every other state I did test rides on required  a license.

EDIT:  Just looking at sites from Yamaha and HD, only a license will work. No permits
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Does your daughter have any desire to ride a scooter/motorcycle?  Does she have any experience?  A MSF type course would be in her best interest.

what about proper safety gear?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does your daughter have any desire to ride a scooter/motorcycle?  Does she have any experience?  A MSF type course would be in her best interest.

View Quote

we'll talk about it, but yea - safety is #1 priority.  She does track days with me and enjoys that, but we'll see about a motorcycle.  Zero chance that I'd let her own one in a metro area, but her summer job is in an area with rarely-traveled back roads, so it seems just a bit safer.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Sign her up for the MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) course available at many community colleges and motorcycle dealers.
She'll take the beginners course (saves on insurance too) and get her license and will then also have some experience to help her choose the bike for her.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

THIS..

You would contemplate giving your kid a 3-400 LB, 40 HP, manual transmission bike with zero training!?!? you realize the injury,maim,death rates of experinced riders much less untrained? BAD PLAN!!! HUGE difference between riding on dirt  (alone) to riding around idiots down the interstate/surface streets(70MPH, meaning 250cc minimum, so 18+ HP, more likely 500cc so 40HP). A reliable 500CC bike might be 2500-3500 bucks, but bikes break about 4x as often as cars and cost about the same to fix(new tires every 10k miles, at $130 a pop), chain at 20k, (200 bucks if she does it her self), ect, plus 800 bucks for riding gear(quality helmet might be 300-600 alone, NEVER SKIMP HERE, jacket that is waterproof, wind proof, and can open for hot days, close for cool days, ect 300 alone being wet plus wind you WILL get COLD, cold makes you slow and stupid), plus luggage(she is going to get ONE backpack of goods at a time when she shops?? goes to store for say 2 new pillows, or package of toilet paper? ect?) insurance... for a first time rider under 25 years old...(mine was $1200 a year for minimum coverage for a 500 CC touring bike that was  20 years old, my 20k care car was 450 a year) then figure out if a motorcycle is cheaper than a used subaru , toyota or honda .  may I suggest the below sedans :

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/833725628/overview/ 8k 2009 for a subaru impreza 50kmiles, and 2.5 engine, AWD,  WAY lower insurance rates and MUCH safer, maybe she could go to college and bring more than an overnight bag with her...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/845915509/overview/ 2010 accord with 5 speed auto and 60k miles, 7.5 k

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/838677024/overview/ 4k for a camry with an auto...
Bikes are a BLAST but highly impracticle.
if you want your kid to ride more than one season get them trained at a MSF class, seriously, and THEN think about it, but for useful bieks are NOT even close to a basic commuter car. id been riding for years on the farm (200cc mind you) but taking that class was eye opening.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks @fsjdw2 - no way would I get her one without as much training as possible.  I should have mentioned that.  I personally won't buy a motorcycle despite really wanting one for years now.

We probably won't do it, but if we do, it'll be with training, practice, and helmet/appropriate riding clothes.

It's in an area with low traffic and back roads and relatively low speeds.  

The alternative is either an old Tacoma or Civic/Accord/Camry as you pointed out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
thanks @fsjdw2 - no way would I get her one without as much training as possible.  I should have mentioned that.  I personally won't buy a motorcycle despite really wanting one for years now.

We probably won't do it, but if we do, it'll be with training, practice, and helmet/appropriate riding clothes.

It's in an area with low traffic and back roads and relatively low speeds.  

The alternative is either an old Tacoma or Civic/Accord/Camry as you pointed out.
View Quote

if you are in a serious snow belt, definitely look at Subaru's(avoid 1999-2004 though hed gasket issues), the impreza's are stupid cheap(base model only like 17k NEW for the manuals) so you can get them pretty cheap now days for the 208-2012 years groups and they are year round cars to take to teh ski hill. I've owned 4 over 20 years(sold 2 for more than i paid for them after buying in non snow states, selling in snow states, the other I bought used for 10k drove for 7 years and  70k miles and sold for 4k to a needy friend , could have gotten 6k open market; 4th im still driving)
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Often, the MSF course is a great tool to let a noob decide for themselves, whether owning a 2 wheeler will work for them.

I know one woman who was kicked out of class because of her very poor skills.  I know another that dropped her new bike several times after taking the MSF course, because her husband bought her a bike too big for her to manage at her skill level.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#10]
If the scooter is under 50cc, l believe, she won't need the motorcycle endorsement. But good luck finding ove that go 70!  Think Vespa.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]
If the scooter is under 50cc she won't need a motorcycle license.  I'd only suggest that if she was just in an urban area.

Honestly, I'd probably just get a used Fit or Corolla or something like that.

I ride nearly every day but I'd probably opt for used car for my daughter.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, you need an MC license to test drive a bike and that is if you can find a dealership that will allow test drives. Alot don't due to liability.

I grew up riding bicycles, dirt bike and anything else with wheels and an engine. The first time I hopped on a street bike it was an entirely different animal.....

Do the safety riders course, get your license, take it easy the first year. Noone will care if you're cool, if you're dead.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Do I need a pilots license to test drive a plane?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just had a hair-brained idea to get my daughter a scooter or beginner motorcycle since she'll be working out of state for the summer (resort area).  

Do you need a motorcycle license to test drive a bike?  (in Colorado)

(she's driven a manual transmission car since 16 years old and is now 19, so shifting is fine.)

Thinking of something (scooter or bike) that'll go about 70 mph.
View Quote

OP do not take this the wrong way, but that is an incredibly bad idea

Riding on two wheels is a totally different world than driving a car. It takes training and practice to be done correctly

At bare minimum your daughter should take the MSF course ($300) and get a helmet ($200), jacket ($200) and gloves ($50).
In addition she should wear thick jeans and heavy boots everytime she rides ( ask her how excited she is about wearing that every day)

On a bike you need to be 100% focused and aware.

If it is her only means of transportation it means she will be riding it during rain storms, at night when it is pitch dark, when she is sick or having a bad day, and having to use it to pick up groceries ect.

If she already had a primary vehicle and wanted to pick it up as a hobby, sure, but just as a cost saving plan it just isnt worth it.

(coming from someone who has been riding for years, and bought a cheap 250 to ride to college when I was living on the GI Bill)
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#15]
3 Incorrect Reasons to Ride a Motorcycle

watch the first minute or two
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#16]
If there's a Harley dealer around they did a decent job on the class. They'll make sure you pass, they're not going to turn away anyone that might buy a $25k motorcycle

Plus you ride their smallest bike which is bigger than much of what the local CC had. Pretty much brand new, well maintained, and all the same. Not a dirt bike here, a whatever there, a whatever else over there.

Y'all both should take it together. It'll be fun and you'll get a great idea of if she's ready for it or not.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the replies everyone.  

Just to let you all know - the vehicle (scooter/car/truck/etc.) would mostly be used from employee housing to the job - a 2 mile ride on a back road.  Once per week to visit grandparents about 4 miles away, and trips to the beach - 1 mile away.  This is not lane-splitting the 405 in Los Angeles.  No way would I let my kid ride in traffic in any city setting!

A car/truck is probably the way we are going, but many commute by scooter/motorcycle in this resort area, and that's what got me thinking about that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies everyone.  

Just to let you all know - the vehicle (scooter/car/truck/etc.) would mostly be used from employee housing to the job - a 2 mile ride on a back road.  Once per week to visit grandparents about 4 miles away, and trips to the beach - 1 mile away.  This is not lane-splitting the 405 in Los Angeles.  No way would I let my kid ride in traffic in any city setting!

A car/truck is probably the way we are going, but many commute by scooter/motorcycle in this resort area, and that's what got me thinking about that.
View Quote

As someone who commutes by motorcycle year-round, in the metro Atlanta area, I can tell you that two-lane country roads are no safer than crowded city streets. The dangers are just different.

As others have already stated, the only motorized two wheelers that don't require a license are mopeds and little 50cc scooters with a top speed of 30-35 mph. That limits their usefulness to city streets, backroads with low speed limits, neighborhoods, and campgrounds.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Buy her a car, instead.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Why would you test drive a machine for which you do not have the correct license???

Riding a Motorcycle has just about NOTHING in common with driving a manual transmission automobile.  Nothing.  Yes, there are gears.  Yes, there is a clutch.  However, unless the bike you are test driving is something like a Moto Guzzi or one of a select few sport bikes, the motorcycle has a wet clutch and proper operation of said clutch has about zero in common with a car clutch.  

Hopping on a motorcycle and taking it for a spin, or worse yet, sitting  you untrained and unlicensed kid on a motorcycle 'that does about 70" is a pretty poor idea.  the odds of a serious accident are VERY high.

I am not anti motorcycle.  Im the opposite:  A 15+ year motorcycle coach and instructor.  MC's are fun, but they are EXTREMELY intolerant of the ignorant, the untrained, and the ill-informed.  This isn't a skill you want to acquire via the old trial and error method.

And for the record,  a very great many motorcycle accidents aren't lane splitting on freeways.  They are usually one-vehicle accidents involving a failure to negotiate a curve.  In other words, some dumbass with no skills on a MC simply failed to corner properly and augered into the guard rail on a curve in the road.  Totally 100% rider failure.  and this is often on a quiet back road...

If you want to explore MC, sign up for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course and explore the sport first.  Once you've completed the course, you'll have a better idea of what might work for you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
The MSF course should be a requirement. She'll learn things that could save her life on the streets. And proof of completion is usually good for a discount off her motorcycle insurance.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The MSF course should be a requirement. She'll learn things that could save her life on the streets. And proof of completion is usually good for a discount off her motorcycle insurance.
View Quote

For a youngster the MSF insurance discount generally pays for itself in the first year
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

For a youngster the MSF insurance discount generally pays for itself in the first year
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it’s changed but back in my day it was a one time discount and it was $50 or less
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Maybe it’s changed but back in my day it was a one time discount and it was $50 or less
View Quote

My guess would be it varies based on your insurance company.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#25]
An electric bicycle is probably in the cards for her.

No license requirement, and they really are today's moped. Just less dorky. 20-30mph.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
An electric bicycle is probably in the cards for her.

No license requirement, and they really are today's moped. Just less dorky. 20-30mph.
View Quote

Actually not a bad idea.  I'm not ready for an e-bike myself, as I'm a crabby hold out on pedaling myself, but for commuting... ebikes are great.  Now... good luck finding one locally (Colorado).  Seems like all bikes are sold out for the season.  One shop said they've had an order for $300k in bikes since November and have three bikes on the floor right now, and aren't sure when their inventory will show up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top