Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2021 1:29:47 PM EDT
I've got some online education mandated for my industry; and it's only available with Flash

With Adobe killing the plugin, is there a substitute that will functionally allow me to complete the training? I don't care if it's a shoehorned abomination of a plugin I just really need to meet a deadline- not play brick breaker.

I'm sure smarter people than myself are trying to figure this out. The IT guys at our company are shitting thumbtacks right now converting over decade old content from Adobe.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
HTML5

Likely you’ll need to rebuild it from the Original SCORM file and updated it to a newer version of scorm that Is compatible with HTML5. Which is probably unlikely anyone still has.

Otherwise use some sort of screen recorder and make it into a video.

More likely you will just have to trash this training build new.

If your IT people are just figuring this out now you might need a new IT people this is been coming for sometime
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I don’t have the answer, but any machine running flash is not secure.

So I’d look to run a remote virtual desktop that has the bare minimum to get by (an old browser with flash and access to nothing else)

People needing the training could launch the VDI image

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a look on here, about half way down the page.  There is a work around to the Flash mess.  I had to do this for a few sites late this week.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/78589
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#5]
This may or may not work depending on the flash content you need to view: https://ruffle.rs/
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HTML5

Likely you’ll need to rebuild it from the Original SCORM file and updated it to a newer version of scorm that Is compatible with HTML5. Which is probably unlikely anyone still has.

Otherwise use some sort of screen recorder and make it into a video.

More likely you will just have to trash this training build new.

If your IT people are just figuring this out now you might need a new IT people this is been coming for sometime
View Quote

I don't think that's what he's looking for. He appears to be looking for a replacement pluggin in an application to play Flash Videos. I think that I have seen something that does what Flashplayer does but I think that it was on Linux which wouldn't help you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Fire your IT guys
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Flash is retarded and was EoL 10 years ago for all practical purposes.  Any IT shop implementing work-arounds are their own worst enemy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#9]
People had years to prepare for this.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People had years to prepare for this.
View Quote

And some people waited until after Y2k to fix their problems.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I appreciate the replies; especially the Ruffle emulator suggestion. Trying to get that to work- although the .rs web address makes my eye twitch clicking it.

And yeah; I'm not a computer guy just a corporate minion.
And yes the nerds had years of advance notice to do this stuff; so they can't complain about being blindsided.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Ruffle will open the file to view buts it's too bugged to play. Seems that the content is coded as actionscript 3 files- so trying to do a workaround now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top