Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2021 8:47:03 AM EDT
My parents have a Cannon Pixma MX490 all-in-one printer that has been left in the dust now that Google Cloud Print is no longer. Canon no longer supports this model. It appears that the only Canon printers that are ChromeOS compatible are the professional-grade printers.

And so I need to find a new printer for them.

The only two brands that I know of that have compatible consumer-grade printers are HP and Epson.

I am leery of HP as I have heard that they will force-ship you toner cartridges whether you want them or not as a condition of using their printers. Is this true?

Which brand would likely be the better choice in terms of support and of course being able to get toner cartridges brick and mortar retail as well as online?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I can’t comment on Epson, since I’ve never used one. However, I got a HP all in one at work about 5-6 months ago. I work alone in a small, isolated building on the railroad, so I only needed a basic, consumer grade printer. It works great with Chrome, both wired & wireless. It doesn’t force me to order ink, but when a cartridge is low, a notice pops up, asking if I’d like to order some. Biggest downside is the price of ink, but that’s probably everywhere now, and it knows if you ordered generic, refilled, or non-HP ink, and it won’t work. If you’re looking for a quality printer, and you don’t print a ton of stuff, I would say HP is a good choice. If you print a lot, be prepared to spend a bit on ink!
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can’t comment on Epson, since I’ve never used one. However, I got a HP all in one at work about 5-6 months ago. I work alone in a small, isolated building on the railroad, so I only needed a basic, consumer grade printer. It works great with Chrome, both wired & wireless. It doesn’t force me to order ink, but when a cartridge is low, a notice pops up, asking if I’d like to order some. Biggest downside is the price of ink, but that’s probably everywhere now, and it knows if you ordered generic, refilled, or non-HP ink, and it won’t work. If you’re looking for a quality printer, and you don’t print a ton of stuff, I would say HP is a good choice. If you print a lot, be prepared to spend a bit on ink!
View Quote

It appears that HP has done a good job re: ChromeOS support (they have a Chrome Plug-in):

How To Set Up An HP Printer To Use With Your Chromebook

Epson: they currently have 9-10 models that support ChromeOS including some home printers that use "EcoTank" technology: no cartridges the printer uses ink reservoirs that are filled using ink bottles.

Still pissed about the Canon printer but that's the way it goes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quick question, if they can run Android apps, does their printer have an android app that is compatible?

While my daughters chromebook is not compatible with our Brother MFC printer, Brother has an Android printer app that works just fine...
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#5]
So you need one that supports google cloud print.

I have a few HP printers, but only because they were free to me.  They support Airprint and cloud print.  But... after reading this guy's recommendations...

Teknosophy

I need a color printer!    

These are the brands we like, in order:
   Brother
   Canon
   Epson
   Inkjet is more affordable, but laser is more reliable and cheaper over the long run.
   Always buy the ink/toner from third-party sellers online. You'll save 90%.
   If you enjoy unreliable printers that spy on you, check out HP.

I do have a brother HL2070n laser printer, and it's perfect for my use.  Ethernet, USB, and Parallel.  Emulates an Epson or IBM dot matrix printer, but that's not something you need.  Newer Brothers will do cloud print.

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you need one that supports google cloud print.
View Quote

Google Cloud Print was discontinued on Dec 31st of last year.

I want a printer that's compatible with ChromeOS. My parent's printer WAS Google Cloud Print compatible but there is no further support (no PPD file).

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
we have a brothers mfc and my wife uses an app to print from her android tablet.
I bet that would work for you too, but not positive.
is just a better choice for a printer if that works.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Love my HP 3800 series. Easy peezy to set up and use. No trouble with forced ordering.

Canon and their over seas idiot CS is the spawn of Satan.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Finally decided on an HP 4990A all in one.

Set-up (USB cable first then wireless network to finish) was very easy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy a laser. It’s worth it over the long run especially if you have a wife or children.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#12]
If you bought a garbagejet aka inkjet, don't come back crying to us when it acts up and dies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top