Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2022 9:28:45 AM EDT
Working with the PreSonus software & desk.

I'd like a PC laptop but need advice on what is the best hardware for the laptop like RAM, processing speed, etc
I have a large outboard storage device & would just add more for that purpose.
I'm not sure how much post production mastering I would be doing with this, probably very little but I'd like to be able to lay down good tracks.
I am a novice with this but have a good understanding of the recording process. I'm looking for good equipment.
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are actually going to be using it for production and not just recording, then as much everything as you can get.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The best avenue to determine the processing power you need, would be to look at the requirements
of the interface you are going to use.

For example Presonus Audiobox USB 96
I use Presonus, as I like and use their stuff.
Tech specs
Computer system requirements:

Below are the minimum computer-system requirements for AudioBox USB 96.
macOS®

macOS version 10.13 or later
   200 MB storage space and 4 GB RAM for Universal Control (required for firmware updates)
   Available USB port

Windows®

Windows 10 or later (64-Bit Only)
   200 MB storage space and 4 GB RAM for Universal Control (required for firmware updates and low-latency ASIO support)
   Available USB port

Note this little caveat: The above are the hardware system requirements for this product.
DAW software and Operating System requirements vary.

Alrighty then.....
Let's look at the Presonus freebie software.
Studio One 5 Prime

System Requirements

macOS

macOS® 10.13 or higher (64-bit only)
   Intel® CoreTM i3 processor or better, or M1 processor running Rosetta 2
   4 GB RAM minimum (8 GB or more recommended)
   Internet connection (needed for installation and activation)
   Monitor with 1366 x 768 resolution (Retina display recommended)
   A multi-touch enabled monitor with TUIO support is required for touch operation
   2.5 GB hard-drive space?

Windows

Windows 10 (64-bit only)
   Intel® CoreTM i3 / AMD A10 processor or better
   4 GB RAM minimum (8 GB or more recommended)
   Internet connection (needed for installation and activation)
   Monitor with 1366 x 768 resolution (high-dpi monitor recommended)
   A multi-touch enabled monitor is required for touch operation
   2.5 GB hard-drive space

A great source of info is at Presonus Forums

Hope this helps a bit, to get you looking for the best match up, for what you intend to do.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for all the replies.
The info & links were what I was looking for.
I'm not computer savvy when it comes to the tech stuff but my son is & he can help me decipher what was posted here and sort out what I will purchase. I'm still putting the space together.

@TonyF
I'm not sure what my end objective is with this investment. It may even turn into a place where other players utilize my space to record tracks. I want something better than Garage Band but not as expensive or difficult as ProTools. Our bass player uses the PreSonus so he has a good understanding of it & can guide me.
I've always wanted a place to record. As an empty nester now I have a nice space to do just that.
I have a new project starting with some very talented players.
We want to set up a database to share files & create some music. Not really looking to be the next super group as we're all to old & ugly.
We will still do some gigs where are set list fits the venue. It will be a way to exchange ideas without having to all be in the same place.

Here the desk I have
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While Pro Tools is a good choice, I believe they are one of the developers who use a monthly service charge for their DAW.
View Quote

And they also use their own proprietary plugin format, instead of VST. You really commit to their platform if you go ProTools.

If you are still choosing a DAW, Reaper is becoming increasingly popular. It is inexpensive but still completely capable. Some would probably describe it as having everything you need and nothing you don't.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#7]
@Plank_Spanker
 You are halfway home with that Presonus board!
I meant to say in a more clear fashion in my initial response, you may be better served by a desktop computer.
A larger screen, as one can get quite a bit of information going on a multi track session.
 Flexibility, by building one to your present and future needs.

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Plank_Spanker
 You are halfway home with that Presonus board!
I meant to say in a more clear fashion in my initial response, you may be better served by a desktop computer.
A larger screen, as one can get quite a bit of information going on a multi track session.
 Flexibility, by building one to your present and future needs.

View Quote

@KorinaBrother
Don't think I haven't considered a desktop. I got this board from my old band. We would record our sets from the PreSonus then use the best tracks to create live albums. Recording a whole show onto a laptop. I'm not sure ow often I'll want to drag this board out on a gig as we have other option for live audio. I do have a nice size monitor in my office for this. Thanks for your input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top