Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Serious question.  If someone uses a weapon professionally or if their life depends on it, I can understand taking a "no cost is too great to pay" approach for reliability and quality.  But why the hate for inexpensive optics that are pretty damn reliable?  Not everyone needs an aimpoint, Schmidt and Bender, Nightforce, etc.  

View Quote

From high end guys that have been downrange and used NF and S&B in ridiculous conditions, they probably believe that leads expensive optics will not perform as well.  For civvies that drop 2-3k on a scope, they refuse to accept that they overpaid to LARP.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So, according to this thread...it doesn't matter which, but one of my HD carbines will surely be the death of me because they are only equipped with PA prismatics or EoTechs.

GD never disappoints.

View Quote

Nobody said that. What I said was that an Aimpoint is a far more durable combat optic than anything from China, and that it doesn't cost much more. As far as Eotech I have no experience with them, but the zero shift reports, and the company covering it up doesn't inspire much confidence in me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I can understand not wanting to buy Chinese made optics.

I do not understand those who Chinese made optics are junk simply because they are made in China despite tons of evidence to the contrary.

"Your ______ optic will fail with absolute certainty because it was made in China but you _______ optic will never fail because it was made in Sweden"

I have seen Aimpoints fail and have certainly seen lot's of EOtech fail. I have also seen Chinese (PA, Vortex, Sig) work just fine for years and years and seen some intense torture test videos of those optics with them holding up great.
View Quote

Again, nobody said that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Bingo.  
I'm still rocking my M2L I bought used like 15years ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because an Aimpoint PRO is a great optic and isn't much more than a Primary Arms.

Guys spend $350 or more on garbage when they could have bought something like an older EOTech or Comp M2.  Nobody is saying everyone needs a $2,000 optic.

Bingo.  
I'm still rocking my M2L I bought used like 15years ago.

#meetoo!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Again, nobody said that.
View Quote

A lot of times, guys like that are not "gear queers".  They simply know what works based on experience and what comes through classes.  I took his comments about the PA optic to mean that it's an unknown variable to him and that there are optics he would have more confidence in based on experience.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The AR's charging handle should, in my opinion, only be used for admin loading and malfunction clearance.  Using the charging handle to reload on bolt lock is stupid for multiple reasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some folks like to keep the manipulations as close to possible system to system. Think pistol/rifle tap & rack...

The AR's charging handle should, in my opinion, only be used for admin loading and malfunction clearance.  Using the charging handle to reload on bolt lock is stupid for multiple reasons.

Attachment Attached File

Lefty. After doing a mag change I just roll the rifle to the opposite side and slap the handle with my palm. Badger ordnance paddle handle/ tac latch. It's faster for me. Yes, I have a Norgon.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool.

What sling attachment was he griping about?  
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I bet Mr. Navy Seal would love my sling attachment point

Attachment Attached File

Edit : Apparently I need to figure out how to use Imgur...image was broken but link works if I put it into a browser

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess the military toughness of the HoloSun 403A(discontinued) I use on my bedside HD rifle is inferior too, considering they make the RD's for Primary Arms. Or at least that's the word I heard many years ago when I got the HoloSun.

I also have mounted a Insight M3 light.

I'd probably really get razzed because of the 2 or single point Chinese sling I use by the adjustability it has, but I don't care. It works for me.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He sure did tiptoe around saying your optic is a cheap Chinese piece of shit
View Quote

The poors will be triggered.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7-0DBxcRa8

A few weeks ago, after taking a Trident Concepts Rifle class, Andrew asked Jeff Gonzales to give him some feedback on his HD rifle.

Hosted by @chopinbloc @JeffGonzales
Edited by @Stylz

Sponsored by TNVC:
https://tnvc.com/

Sponsored by Winchester Ammunition:
https://winchester.com

Train with Trident Concepts:
https://www.tridentconcepts.com/

Check out ARFCOM's Teespring Store:
https://teespring.com/stores/arfcom

Follow ARFCOM!
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ar15com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ar15com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ar15com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/ar15com/
View Quote

Good video.

Of note STOMPS FOOT on a barrel less than 14” long, YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY ought to have a suppressor because the shock waves coming out of that muzzle are something else indoors. It’s almost like there are 2 or 3 dudes on this forum who have actually shot lots of guns indoors lots of times and know a couple things...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A short barreled 556 inside an enclosed space is teeth rattling
View Quote
Hell, it's teeth rattling enough outdoors. "Emotional event" sounds about right indoors.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

They've been triggered for four pages so far.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

NX8 isn't heavy.   It's not cheap though.
View Quote

17oz + 8oz QD mount not heavy? Compared to a TA44 or 1-2X PA prism it is. I owned a Steiner P4Xi which is about the same weight. LPVO has invaluable uses but they definitely add weight.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

17oz + 8oz QD mount not heavy? Compared to a TA44 or 1-2X PA prism it is. I owned a Steiner P4Xi which is about the same weight. LPVO has invaluable uses but they definitely add weight.
View Quote

QD mount is gross.

Those other ones are lighter. But the NX8 is not heavy for what you get.  

I'm not a fan of TA44. I sold mine after I used it a few times at night.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems more like the LARPers are here to continue their quest to justify spending large amounts of their money on gear they will never put to serious use. But that's okay...it's a free country!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A short barreled 556 inside an enclosed space is teeth rattling
View Quote

Any barrel length in an enclosed space is. Had an RDB 5.56 with 16” for awhile and used it indoors. For a while I had my own neat little shooting range with a couple of old doublewides and minivan on it. Was shooting towards targets from inside through a back door and back window keeping the muzzle inside and even with earpro it was jarring. The percussion and sound waves bouncing back at you and then throughout the structure’s walls will get your attention.

ETA: It’s not even like shooting at a regular indoor range. At those, the backstop is far enough where there’s some distance for the waves to dissipate a bit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Seems more like the LARPers are here to continue their quest to justify spending large amounts of their money on gear they will never put to serious use. But that's okay...it's a free country!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sound upset. Why are you upset at how others spend their hard earned money on things that you obviously don't approve of? I've got a course this coming summer at Gunsite that's 1,200 rounds for one week. There's gear that they strongly recommend to be worn or brought. Were they wrong to suggest for us to have things to "larp" in? As for spending money, I could run with a cheap milspec make do with a harsh trigger pull & reset, or have the benefits of an SSA. I can easily justify the SSA cost. Then there's the fact that with Aimpoints I can actually see the dot and not a blob from the closest micro Chinesium clone from Vortex or Holosun. That too makes it easy to justify the higher cost. Then there's the added benefit of actually for once being able to support friendlier nations that are not hostile like China, or made here and keeping an American employed.

But you are right on one thing though: It is a free country to a certain extent. God forbid people should actually act up on that and buy what you don't approve of, right?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Its more about not buying things made in a country actively trying to destroy our own country
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/Scale_Adjusted_Actual_Image_seen_TA45_an-1382011.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/TA_PA_AP_200_Yrd_Daylight-1387959.jpg

The PA GLx 2x prism is tits. If it is as robust as the ACOG, it wins.

no more aimpoints for me. Etched reticles only

But the army doesn't use it so it must be unreliable.

Like you, I don't get the aimpoint love. It is a robust red dot, but not $800 worth of dot and if it goes down, you are looking into clear space.  

If I don't have an etched reticle, I definitely want BUIS.

Its more about not buying things made in a country actively trying to destroy our own country

Definitely a lot of people in America actively trying to destroy America.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nobody said that. What I said was that an Aimpoint is a far more durable combat optic than anything from China, and that it doesn't cost much more. As far as Eotech I have no experience with them, but the zero shift reports, and the company covering it up doesn't inspire much confidence in me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, according to this thread...it doesn't matter which, but one of my HD carbines will surely be the death of me because they are only equipped with PA prismatics or EoTechs.

GD never disappoints.

I don't know, seems like my 509T is better than the ACRO I had.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You sound upset. Why are you upset at how others spend their hard earned money on things that you obviously don't approve of? I've got a course this coming summer at Gunsite that's 1,200 rounds for one week. There's gear that they strongly recommend to be worn or brought. Were they wrong to suggest for us to have things to "larp" in? As for spending money, I could run with a cheap milspec make do with a harsh trigger pull & reset, or have the benefits of an SSA. I can easily justify the SSA cost. Then there's the fact that with Aimpoints I can actually see the dot and not a blob from the closest micro Chinesium clone from Vortex or Holosun. That too makes it easy to justify the higher cost. Then there's the added benefit of actually for once being able to support friendlier nations that are not hostile like China, or made here and keeping an American employed.

But you are right on one thing though: It is a free country to a certain extent. God forbid people should actually act up on that and buy what you don't approve of, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think we've found the one who's actually triggered.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#23]
What surprises me is how many people think they must have an optic on a home defense rifle to shoot something less than 20 feet away.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What surprises me is how many people think they must have an optic on a home defense rifle to shoot something less than 20 feet away.
View Quote

It sure helps under stress.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for me.  I shot for many years before I had an optic of any kind on anything.  I grew up shooting with irons as well as point shooting extensively.  Shooting "over the sites" is very accurate and very fast for me.  At home defense distances, put the front site on the target, bang, simple. The last thing I want to do under stress is try to look through any kind of tube.  These days I guess there are many younger shooters that literally started shooting with optics on everything, even handguns.  I guess it's just an entirely different mindset.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I think the Seal made a very good assessment.  I'm curious about the 40 round mag comment though and would disagree there.  Forties are cool but in my opinion would be a disadvantage in most defensive situations.  I wish he would have specified what problems the forties solve and why he advocates them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not for me.  I shot for many years before I had an optic of any kind on anything.  I grew up shooting with irons as well as point shooting extensively.  Shooting "over the sites" is very accurate and very fast for me.  At home defense distances, put the front site on the target, bang, simple. The last thing I want to do under stress is try to look through any kind of tube.  These days I guess there are many younger shooters that literally started shooting with optics on everything, even handguns.  I guess it's just an entirely different mindset.
View Quote

You don't have to look through  the tube. You just put the dot infront of your eye.  Your brain will overlap it into your field of view.

Yes technology advances. The future is now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You don't have to look through  the tube. You just put the dot infront of your eye.  Your brain will overlap it into your field of view.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This reminds of something I noticed a short time ago while removing a scope. It was a 1” tube and was in an Aero scope mount. The rings on the mount seemed to align perfectly with my HK style fixed front sight. I am sorely tempted to mount it up on another upper in the same manner and check it out next time I have some time for a range trip.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This reminds of something I noticed a short time ago while removing a scope. It was a 1” tube and was in an Aero scope mount. The rings on the mount seemed to align perfectly with my HK style fixed front sight. I am sorely tempted to mount it up on another upper in the same manner and check it out next time I have some time for a range trip.
View Quote

Probably work with HK sights. I hate HK sights.

Their triggers and saftey are also trash.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Swing and a miss.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:43:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I can shoot with them but I still prefer just open iron sights on a home defense type long gun.  I disagree that you are not looking through a tube, you certainly are.  While your brain is what makes the dot appear on the target it's actually doing that because your dominate eye IS looking through the tube and your other eye is not.  This can be done even with an 4x ACOG but it's a little harder than a dot sight.  The Bindon concept is the same and the reality is you are looking through a tube with one eye otherwise you would not see the dot or the chevron or whatever.  I'm not saying don't use dot sights, I'm just saying irons at close range are tough to beat if you have lots of time on them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:52:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Swing and a miss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Swing and a miss.

lol. Sure thing, buddy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:22:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes, I can shoot with them but I still prefer just open iron sights on a home defense type long gun.  I disagree that you are not looking through a tube, you certainly are.  While your brain is what makes the dot appear on the target it's actually doing that because your dominate eye IS looking through the tube and your other eye is not.  This can be done even with an 4x ACOG but it's a little harder than a dot sight.  The Bindon concept is the same and the reality is you are looking through a tube with one eye otherwise you would not see the dot or the chevron or whatever.  I'm not saying don't use dot sights, I'm just saying irons at close range are tough to beat if you have lots of time on them.
View Quote

If you practice you can look around the tube as well as through it.  I posted my ACOG setup.  The 3 power is easy to look around. I have it really far forward. You can see the chevron and your surroundings.  

It's a lot harder with the 4x because of it's short eye relief.  

The RMR ontop you don't even see the housing with practice.  Especially under night vision.

I can point shoot and use irons.   But under pressure or moving it's way easier to use the dot. Just takes some practice.  Even more on a pistol.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:06:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If you practice you can look around the tube as well as through it.  I posted my ACOG setup.  The 3 power is easy to look around. I have it really far forward. You can see the chevron and your surroundings.  

The RMR ontop you don't even see the housing with practice.  Especially under night vision.

I can point shoot and use irons.   But under pressure or moving it's way easier to use the dot. Just takes some practice.  Even more on a pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any idea what the SEAL guy meant by 40 rounders solving some problems?   In a home defense situation I think a 40 would have way more down sides than pluses.   I've tried all kinds of stuff but in the end it's the first 10 maybe 15 rounds at most that are going to matter and any more is just adding weight and reducing speed so it's likely even a 20 rounder will solve any home defense shooting problem.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:14:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Any idea what the SEAL guy meant by 40 rounders solving some problems?   In a home defense situation I think a 40 would have way more down sides than pluses.   I've tried all kinds of stuff but in the end it's the first 10 maybe 15 rounds at most that are going to matter and any more is just adding weight and reducing speed so it's likely even a 20 rounder will solve any home defense shooting problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The speed difference is going to be negligible given the position of the weight. You're ostensibly not going prone in a home defense scenario. What are all these downsides, exactly?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:38:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The speed difference is going to be negligible given the position of the weight. You're ostensibly not going prone in a home defense scenario. What are all these downsides, exactly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maneuverability is hindered plus the weight slows the gun down. Less weight translates into faster movement.  30 round mags are standard because they are the best compromise between capacity, size and weight.  Let's put this in my original questions perspective.  What are the advantages of a 40 round mag over a 30 in a home defense situation?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:35:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Maneuverability is hindered plus the weight slows the gun down. Less weight translates into faster movement.  30 round mags are standard because they are the best compromise between capacity, size and weight.  Let's put this in my original questions perspective.  What are the advantages of a 40 round mag over a 30 in a home defense situation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 more rounds without needing a spare magazine. It's a lot easier to have 40 rounds in the gun ready to go versus carrying a spare on you.

The weight of 10 additional rounds at the center of gravity for the rifle (should be) is going to have a negligible impact on the rifle's handling.

The military has concern for going prone -- you don't in a home defense situation.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:13:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Efforts and expenses toward HD were wasted....little did he know the killer had already silently invaded. All the shooting classes in the world failed to prepare him for the beetus.
View Quote

Poor physical fitness is an absolute killer. Once you get winded and your heart is pumping, your aim is not steady at all.  That’s especially true with handguns, you can watch the sight move up and down with your pulse.  Plus, just moving, kneeling, amd going prone is slower and takes a toll.

The worst thing is losing your pants.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:51:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I totally felt like this video was a drink more ovaltine moment. Time wasted because someone is upset Primary Arms is cutting into their market share. Didn't laugh once, was this a roast? Aren't roast suppose to be funny, harsh, and obnoxiously critical?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most definitely.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

No clue.  

More rounds the better maybe.  The magpul 40s are really long.  

Now that 60 round drum.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Most definitely.
View Quote

Projection is something else, ain't it?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Do any of the mid to high tier manufacturers have prismatic sights?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

10 more rounds without needing a spare magazine. It's a lot easier to have 40 rounds in the gun ready to go versus carrying a spare on you.

The weight of 10 additional rounds at the center of gravity for the rifle (should be) is going to have a negligible impact on the rifle's handling.

The military has concern for going prone -- you don't in a home defense situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey whatever works for you.  Having a foot long heavy mono pod sticking out of the bottom of my rifle doesn't work for me but then again I've never heard any other experienced shooter suggest using 40's for home defense or anywhere for that matter.  I would like to have heard his reasoning.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I get the China part.
But I think people are missing the difference between and HD optic vs a Duty optic and/or SHTF optic.
For some, they are all the same.  For others, there is a distinct difference.

You want your HD optic to work, but do you really need it built like a tank (assuming it is a dedicated HD weapon)?   It will spend almost all of its life hanging on a wall, or stacked in a corner, or tucked in a safe, nice a dry, with the temperature somewhere between 55 and 85 degrees.   Now if your HD gun is also your SHTF gun and Duty gun, then the scenario is different.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Hey whatever works for you.  Having a foot long heavy mono pod sticking out of the bottom of my rifle doesn't work for me but then again I've never heard any other experienced shooter suggest using 40's for home defense or anywhere for that matter.  I would like to have heard his reasoning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gunner Wade was having IAR dudes experiment with running PMAG 40s and D-60s IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#49]

One hell of a commute to work.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#50]
He commented "game warden next best thing..." when speaking about not having a suppressor.

What is a "game warden" aside from the normal wildlife leo?

is it a suppressor type of muzzle brake?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top