BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because an Aimpoint PRO is a great optic and isn't much more than a Primary Arms.

Guys spend $350 or more on garbage when they could have bought something like an older EOTech or Comp M2.  Nobody is saying everyone needs a $2,000 optic.
View Quote
I have a PRO for my go to rifle and a RMR on my pistol. All my range/fun shit has various vortex/PA/SIG cheap stuff. Aimpoint PRO seems like a no-brainer @ $400 vs a Sparc II or something that costs $200ish.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What if he has a prism 1x optic because he has astigmatism? Next best option then becomes an acog TA44 which of course carries a higher price tag. Maybe a hologram eotech would work, but eotechs have the taint of unreliability (deserved or not) on them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because an Aimpoint PRO is a great optic and isn't much more than a Primary Arms.

Guys spend $350 or more on garbage when they could have bought something like an older EOTech or Comp M2.  Nobody is saying everyone needs a $2,000 optic.

What if he has a prism 1x optic because he has astigmatism? Next best option then becomes an acog TA44 which of course carries a higher price tag. Maybe a hologram eotech would work, but eotechs have the taint of unreliability (deserved or not) on them.

Insert medical condition copypasta here
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Neat!

Andrew....you cool.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#4]
So what book does he have?
I know he has a book
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My HD rifle is practically eligible for a retro thread.

Kharn
View Quote

And it probably works very well and won't get hung up on all the shit in your house.

I too appreciate a simple rifle with little to no crap hanging off it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not sure I would run something that hard with a latchless charging handle.
View Quote

Considering it made it through, it is no issue.  

I have the same CH.  It is very good.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ignorant question. Why would a guy in the class have to keep using the charging handle instead of the bolt release?
View Quote

Probably induced malfunctions.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Serious question.  If someone uses a weapon professionally or if their life depends on it, I can understand taking a "no cost is too great to pay" approach for reliability and quality.  But why the hate for inexpensive optics that are pretty damn reliable?  Not everyone needs an aimpoint, Schmidt and Bender, Nightforce, etc.  

View Quote

Because they break when you most need them.

But I've also broken an aimpoint T1.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn't want just a TA44 on home defense rifle. They have problems in low light conditions.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I think your rifle looks sweet. What kind of flashlight mount? I'd like to do something similar to my middy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

How does it handle suppressor gas?

Eta: Nevermind. Per the manufacturer it isn't rated for the application OP is using it for.

"Compatibility: For standard mil-spec AR15 only. Not rated for suppressors and /or full auto fire. Not for use on SBRs or pistol length barrels (<14.5")"

https://www.strikeindustries.com/si-ar-slch.html

So he is using it on a suppressed SBR which is like double not recommended.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure I would run something that hard with a latchless charging handle.

That's not the rifle he used for the class
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Surefire Warden, which is just a surefire blast deflector that uses the same mounts as SF suppressors.

https://i0.wp.com/megiddotacticalgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Surefire-Warden-SOCOM-Device.jpg?fit=1000%2C1000&ssl=1
View Quote

I'm guessing this thing is about 10x the price of a KAK flash can and isn't 10x better. They're both just redirecting blast forward, correct? Can someone confirm?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Serious question.  If someone uses a weapon professionally or if their life depends on it, I can understand taking a "no cost is too great to pay" approach for reliability and quality.  But why the hate for inexpensive optics that are pretty damn reliable?  Not everyone needs an aimpoint, Schmidt and Bender, Nightforce, etc.  

View Quote

I know for a fact, if you put a Strike Eagle on a Geissele rifle, the rifle will blow up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ignorant question. Why would a guy in the class have to keep using the charging handle instead of the bolt release?
View Quote
I use mine often to facilitate punching myself in the mouth.

Go ahead and tell me you never done this.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#16]
You don't think a primary arms cyclops isn't tough and will hold up? I think they're built tougher than most scopes.  Aimpoint is nice but when they have multiple aiming points because of old eyes not worth much.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Ever have a optic fail in a class?  It's embarrassing....cough Mepro M21

If your optic fails on your HD rifle, well that could be final.

I've not had an Aimpoint Pro or H1 fail in a class yet.  I'd trust my life to a Pro, M3, or M4.  Not as sold on the T or H series but they haven't failed yet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I use mine often to facilitate punching myself in the mouth.

Go ahead and tell me you never done this.
View Quote

It hurts especially bad when you bop that nerve cluster just under your nose with a knuckle.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Keep making excuses brah.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Some folks like to keep the manipulations as close to possible system to system. Think pistol/rifle tap & rack...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some folks like to keep the manipulations as close to possible system to system. Think pistol/rifle tap & rack...
Thanks. I'm not sure I'd keep doing if it buggered up my thumb like the student in the video.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is a gigantic difference between a used aim point pro and a freaking S&B.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Who the f*** is Andrew?
View Quote

Another SJW gun Youtuber in the vein of Karl of InRange
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The thing is, a cheap optic costs 200 dollars. An Aimpoint is 400 dollars. That's a pretty small gap to get top of the line quality compared to Chinese stuff which may or may not function well.

It's disingenuous to bring up S&B or Nightforce, because those optics are seriously expensive. But an Aimpoint is in the reach of everyone. Seriously, cheap out on the stock. Get a take off M4 from the EE for 5 bucks. Cheap out on the trigger, a GI model will function fine. Cheap out on the handguard, again a set of M4 ones from the EE for nothing. An A2 flash hider will work perfectly fine. Even cheap out on the lower; a PSA or Anderson is perfectly fine as long as you verify the specs on it.

But for the love of all that is holy, sack up and buy a good BCG, barrel, and optic. Everything else is optional.
View Quote

I might be weird but I always thought Toolcraft BCGs were good.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thing is, a cheap optic costs 200 dollars. An Aimpoint is 400 dollars. That's a pretty small gap to get top of the line quality compared to Chinese stuff which may or may not function well.

It's disingenuous to bring up S&B or Nightforce, because those optics are seriously expensive. But an Aimpoint is in the reach of everyone. Seriously, cheap out on the stock. Get a take off M4 from the EE for 5 bucks. Cheap out on the trigger, a GI model will function fine. Cheap out on the handguard, again a set of M4 ones from the EE for nothing. An A2 flash hider will work perfectly fine. Even cheap out on the lower; a PSA or Anderson is perfectly fine as long as you verify the specs on it.

But for the love of all that is holy, sack up and buy a good BCG, barrel, and optic. Everything else is optional.

They're outstanding. Good doesn't have to be expensive.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You don't think a primary arms cyclops isn't tough and will hold up? I think they're built tougher than most scopes.  Aimpoint is nice but when they have multiple aiming points because of old eyes not worth much.
View Quote

Inwoukd honestly have no problem with one of those. They take a massive beating.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The C-MORE Railway is around $250, or less for a used one on ebay or GB.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have been in two classes with Gonzalez.

At least when I was training with him he always ran the charging handle and always stripped empty mags out of the rifle.  Theory I believe was reducing points of potential failure.  You know the mag is out/coming out when you strip it and running the handle provides the maximum forward momentum to the BCG.

The man can shoot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been in two classes with Gonzalez.

At least when I was training with him he always ran the charging handle and always stripped empty mags out of the rifle.  Theory I believe was reducing points of potential failure.  You know the mag is out/coming out when you strip it and running the handle provides the maximum forward momentum to the BCG.

The man can shoot.

If the bolt isn't closing off lock by dropping the bolt release, I find it extremely hard to believe the slight extra momentum from racking the handle is going to make a difference- something is wrong and it's going to gum up either way.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:09:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

grOSe MotUr SkIllS
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:11:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Me and Jeff were BUD/S Instructors together in the land warfare phase of training.  If he said you had shitty gear on your rifle, it's because you have shitty gear on your rifle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Up next, "How a Navy Seal packs a suitcase."

Seals are badass but, I cringe every time I read, "How A Navy Seal (does anything)".
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:14:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Up next, "How a Navy Seal packs a suitcase."
View Quote

"Quickly" is the answer... There, now you don't have to wait for the thrilling YouTube video...
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
VTAC or Vickers as always.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So whats the sling recommendation?
VTAC or Vickers as always.

Yea, sorry, I'd take a gear sector sling over a VTAC/Vickers.  They are all great slings, but Andrew seemed to get it (quick attachment to multiple rifles, with different attachment types, and even changing from single point to double point).  Didn't seem to sink in with the other guy?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Mavy Seal titled You Tube videos are dime a dozen. Thats about what most of their opinions are worth.
Somehow being a Seal makes you an expert on literally everything...
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Title is super misleading..........he bitched about the sling not the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Title is super misleading..........he bitched about the sling not the rifle.
View Quote
For the Algorithm!

Next Andrew should plan on a series of "This rifle means nothing to me"
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Mavy Seal titled You Tube videos are dime a dozen. Thats about what most of their opinions are worth.
Somehow being a Seal makes you an expert on literally everything...
View Quote

I might not listen to a SEAL when it comes to the proper method for making a Hollandaise sauce or the technique of writing with a feather quill, but when it comes to setting up rifles to kill people in close quarters I think they have more experience than most of us.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:41:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've not had an Aimpoint Pro or H1 fail in a class yet.  I'd trust my life to a Pro, M3, or M4.  Not as sold on the T or H series but they haven't failed yet.
View Quote

Backup irons never fail.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:41:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As someone with bad astigmatism, I found that placing a red blob on a target is still just as effective as placing a red dot on a target at 200 yards and under.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:42:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have used aimpoints and still own old eotechs.   Are they really that great?  A circle with a dot and a dot?    They have simplicity, fairly good reliability (not great, especially eotech), and the prices are not horrendous, but if people are honest, much of the appeal is that they are used by the military.   Just my opinion. I would be happy with an aimpoint compM4, but wouldn't necessarily feel like spending that kind of money was necessary.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’d say you keep an HD rifle because your “life may depend on it” someday.  Reliability should be the aim of the game there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:45:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Backup irons never fail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Backup irons never fail.

Backup irons absolutely fail.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Those cyclops optics are tough as shit.  People who haven't messed with them shit on them but I'd feel just as confident in them holding up as any other optic.  I've had aimpoints, acogs, eotechs etc.  I also have two gen II Vortex Razors.  The cyclops doesn't have the very brightest glass but it will take a beating as well as any above optics I listed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:49:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Backup irons never fail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Backup irons never fail.

lol wut

Yes, irons can and do fail.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:53:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Those cyclops optics are tough as shit.  People who haven't messed with them shit on them but I'd feel just as confident in them holding up as any other optic.  I've had aimpoints, acogs, eotechs etc.  I also have two gen II Vortex Razors.  The cyclops doesn't have the very brightest glass but it will take a beating as well as any above optics I listed.
View Quote

Even if so, so what?  The example you have might have proven itself durable/reliable.  What about one that was shipped out 6 months after yours?

There is a certain peace of mind that comes with an optic that has been in hard use in large numbers for a long time, especially ones that are manufactured in places with a known track record for consistent quality and QC.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#45]
My PA prisms optics havent failed me yet. My 5x with the Aurora reticle has been through hell from run and gun courses to being tossed around repeatedly on my ranch carbine and falling off my 4 wheeler and getting ran over by an f250 on a lease road going around 20mph....

Zero issue with it and have been so impressed by it I replaced all of my aimpoints with their prisms.  Also helps me out with my astigmatism as well....win win for me
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:56:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Why bring your home HD rifle to a class and not even shoot it during the class... but only to make a video about it? Seems a bit odd.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:58:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Backup irons never fail.
View Quote

I've seen broken/damaged iron sights on multiple occasions. Nothing is 100% fail-proof.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm guessing this thing is about 10x the price of a KAK flash can and isn't 10x better. They're both just redirecting blast forward, correct? Can someone confirm?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Surefire Warden, which is just a surefire blast deflector that uses the same mounts as SF suppressors.

https://i0.wp.com/megiddotacticalgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Surefire-Warden-SOCOM-Device.jpg?fit=1000%2C1000&ssl=1

Andrew has a Surefire muzzle device that his Surefire suppressor fits on. The Warden also fits on the same muzzle device. The KAK flash can is works just as good as the Warden, but it is direct thread.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:10:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*silently takes out SpecterDR and sets it on the table*
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Who the f*** is Andrew?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top