Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2018 8:06:37 AM EDT
I retired out of active duty so I don't know how IRR retirement works but a college asked me this question as I'm the only other former Navy doc that works in the local surgical center and I don't have a good answer for him.

So he is an anesthesiologist and got out after 15 years active duty to take a pretty lucrative position in the civilian world.  He didn't want to completely waste the active time so he went IRR and he could take courses to add to his years without adding more rank or money but at least preserve the 15 years he did have for retirement income when he turned 60.

He is now at 19 and 1/4 good years both active and IRR combined.

Well, he got hit with an in person muster and in the last few years he'd gained some weight and now he's afraid that he'll lose his retirement because he's now overweight.

I told him that he'd better check with someone in the know, but when I was active duty, if someone was a fatbody at 19 years, they'd just let him retire because it would take less time for him to retire than it would take to board him out.  It would take two PT cycles (1 year) to board someone out for overweight and at 19 years, you are already pretty much on the way out.

Opinions? Am I right or wrong?
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The Navy stopped kicking people out for being fat late last year. I'll ask if it effects the IRR retirement when I get to work.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Navy stopped kicking people out for being fat late last year. I'll ask if it effects the IRR retirement when I get to work.
View Quote
Thanks.  Like I said, dude is well over 19 years and he's all worried.  I don't think he's got to worry about it this late in the game, but those type A personalities worry about everything.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The military I know couldn't do the paperwork to outprocess him in a year...so he's good to go!

Seriously, IRR...I think he's OK.  People disappear into the IRR all the time, only to retire many years later; I doubt they have to take an exit physical fitness test.
View Quote
That's my thinking.  Of course he didn't appreciate me telling him that if he'd just workout and not be a slug, he wouldn't have to worry anyway.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
@NavyDoc1

Answer I got from the resident SSO is they'll probably let it slide since he's a doctor. At worst, they'll make him come back for a BCA next cycle.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@NavyDoc1

Answer I got from the resident SSO is they'll probably let it slide since he's a doctor. At worst, they'll make him come back for a BCA next cycle.
View Quote
Roger that.  I think I'll start taking him running every day after work.  He would not be the first friend I've drug over the finish line.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#7]
i medically retired but was in the arng the last 20 years of my career. I was PA and i used CME hours ACLS,ATLS, PALS and CPR and correspondence courses to increase my Retirement Points to the maximum allowed each year.
O4 and O5 they were 40-50 cents per point per month so an extra 100 points here and there for courses you have to take anyway, add up over the years.  
It also made some Guys get good years and retire "early" instead of having to serve longer.

@NavyDoc1
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:32:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I was always under the impression that IRR time didn't count for squat.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

Reserve retirement requires active reserve time, meaning a minimum of 50 “points” in order for a year to count.

IRR service only gives you 15 points.

Here’s a good breakdown of the system:

https://themilitarywallet.com/guard-reserve-points/

We have a lot of reservists here that activate for 35 days or so per year, often in roughly two week periods. They don’t drill anywhere in the interim. They get just enough points to get a “good year.”
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exceptions are made for certain career fields, like our Strategic Sealift Officers. They provide a letter from their employer showing that they're employed as a Mechant Marine and I think they have to do 1 PRT a year now. I know a Merchant Marine Captain that retired as an O6 SSO, makes $600 a month off his 1000 points

Wouldn't shock me if there is something similar for Medical Corps.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Points are points.

that said, it is getting tougher to get points in the IRR without drilling

really takes work these days to get a good year in the IRR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top